1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Currency exchange going OUT of the U.S.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by TOWNSVILLE, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOWNSVILLE

TOWNSVILLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No replies to my foreign exchange question on this site.Therefore l ask you all,if you are going overseas for a holiday,then where do you get the currency you required for the country you are visiting.This applies to Las Vegas residents mainly,but everybody feel free to comment.Anything to save a buck,it all helps my gambling addiction.

2. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Townsville, sorry I didn't see your other post. When going overseas, we always visit our bank and they order however much foreign currency we ask for at a price better than any currency exchange at an airport or better than any foreign denominated travelers checks (do people still really use travelers checks?). We don't usually get much cash, since most everything we purchase is put on a credit card. Several major banks have no exchange fees on their cards and the going rate is generally better than you can get anywhere else unless you are exchanging hundreds of thousands of dollars. Also you can get a great exchange rate with relatively low fees by using an ATM. Just exchange larger amounts each time so the fees don't add up as quickly (get $500 at once rather than 5 withdrawals of $100). My bank reimburses all atm fees, which I found out after the fact included the fees charged in Sweden and Norway and I'm sure everywhere else.

I'm sure others have different ideas.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just go to an ATM machine after I land. Or you can exchange at Travelex at the airport before you fly out.

4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get a few hundred from an ATM at the airport. I take 3 different credit cards to be sure there's no hassle with the ATM machine (AmEx, Visa, MC). Then, I pay for almost everything with my credit card which has no foreign transaction fees. My last bill (usually my hotel) I use up all but about $50 in local currency and then pay the remainder with the credit card.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently spent 3 weeks in Europe. Before my trip I simply logged on to my Bank's website and ordered the currency I wanted.
    I ordered both GBP and Euros. I was told the Rate online before submitting my order and it was debited from my account. I had
    the choice of having the currency delivered to my home or picking it up at my local Bank Branch. I felt picking it up was safer.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, best to have a chip and pin credit card and know your pin.

7. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In foreign countries I get money from an ATM. I use the Charles Schwab debit card which has no foreign transaction fees and offers a very fare currency rate.

I would never, ever use an airport currency shop.

8. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree never to use airport currency booths unless it's an emergency.

There are debit cards around that allow you to withdraw forex cash with zero ATM fees and make forex purchases with nil commission. Based on your name, I'm guessing you're an Aussie so check out Citibank Plus. I'm hundreds of dollars ahead thanks to that card. Load it up in AUD and put everything on it when in Vegas (ATM, shopping, hotel, restaurant). Then the residual money you have will be AUD anyway.

Knowing you'll need to have SOME USD on arrival, I usually visit one of the booths in the CBD at home before I go.

Cheers

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was not clear from original post to everyone, but this is someone coming FROM Australia to the states.

I would second the common advice of using an ATM. The exchange rate is usually decent. Most machines seem to have a $1000 a day limit, so watch that. If you can get a decent exchange rate from your bank before you leave, that is good. Keep in mind that you have to report cash movements over $10,000. It is okay to travel with that, but you must report it.

10. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes my advice encompasses a trip from Australia to Vegas and return. I can speak with some experience on the matter.

11. ebonecapone

ebonecapone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) Get with Bank of America and have them send my local branch some to have (just a couple hundred worth).
    2) ATM as needed in whatever country i'm in if cash is needed.
    3) Use my CC that has no foreign transaction fees for everything possible.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, your advice was correct, but many OTHER posters seem to ignore the actual question and continue to give answers for U.S. Citizens.

13. TOWNSVILLE

TOWNSVILLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nostresshere the original title to this query has been changed by the site administrator,therefore the confusion,you are correct in what you are saying.l still wish to thank you all for your comments,it gives me something to work with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.