1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Unique places around Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BlueBellThunder, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking for unique off the beaten path places to visit for my October trip. We will have a rental car.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best thing we've done in a long time was to head to the Valley of Fire State Park.

One of the commenters mentioned that if you drive north then east from Las Vegas, exit the park heading east then look around the Lake Mead park, then ending in Boulder City. I wish we would have tried that.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  3. VeddaLasVegas

VeddaLasVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heynow BBT....not sure how unique but Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire are cool.....you can head up to Goldfield to the ghost town.....out to Rachel on the Extra Terrestrial Highway.......

I have never been up to Mt. Charleston but that sounds cool. Head out to Primm to the outlet stores then ride the roller coaster....if you are into car racing I think they do tours of the Speedway.

Or you can always drive to Pahrump and have unique things done TO you ☻☻☻

5. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

What kinds of things do you consider unique? There are, of course, the state and national parks but it seems that you want out of the ordinary. How about a mine tour? The Lion Habitat? Rafting/kayaking the Colorado? Ghost towns? Hiking at Mt. Charleston? Horseback riding? The outdoor theater at Spring Mt. Ranch? So much to do if you can be a little more specific about your interests.

6. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These may not be what you were thinking...

• Nacho Daddy downtown for alcohol shots with real scorpions in them. Might want to call beforehand to check that they're not sold out.
    • Erotic Exotic Museum. Check Groupon.
    • District One for lobster pho and oxtail loco moco.
    • Neon Sign Museum.
    • A helicopter ride over whatever you want, I did the strip at night. Check Groupon.
    • Zombie Apocalypse store.
    • Mob Museum.
    • Mermaid Bar.

You can check instagram and other social networking sources (with photos) about Vegas to find more food stuff.

7. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We finally made it to the Mob Museum in July (been trying to do this for a long time.) It was really interesting. I could have spent all day there but my wife and sister kind of did the "expedited version." Tons of interesting information. Some families were there with kids. I don't think I would take children there as the mob violence (and many fairly graphic pictures of people being shot/murdered) are pretty much everywhere you look.
    And not far (literally a very short walk) from the museum is Pizza Rock which I'd read about many times on this board. Would highly recommend. We were there during happy hour so I had to get a couple of the PBR's in brown paper bags.
    I wish we'd thought of doing the neon museum but forget about it. Oh well- maybe next time.

Another sort of "off the beaten path" museum I've been wanting to go to forever is the National Atomic Testing Museum.

8. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I mean is lesser known places. All the places mentioned above I've been to. The Atomic Museum was very sobering. I did read about a small town east of Laughlin, I think it's called Overton that has wild burros just hanging out in the streets waiting to be feed by tourists. That might be something I would like. Wouldn't mind the 2 hours or so drive. Love the desert landscape.

9. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just looked it up, it's Oatman AZ.

10. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an old pinball junkie back in the day, I really enjoyed the Pinball Hall of Fame. Burned through a few quarters playing my old favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's too bad Scotty's castle in Death Valley is closed... interesting place and even more interesting story behind it.

you could drive down to hell, i mean needles and see the spot where sam kinison died

12. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went there when I did a trip to Laughlin. Not much there but it's kind of neat. They do fake gun fights out in the streets. I fed the burros (they can be pretty aggressive so be careful), had lunch at one of the places and left.

Have you been to Wayne Newton's house? Shenandoah. There is s groupon right now for it.

13. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Speaking of Overton, have you been to St. Thomas, the lost city and the Lost City Museum?

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For something REALLY unusual, drive by Dr. Hammargren's Principality of Paradise. :)

[​IMG]

You'll feel like you were teleported directly into the final scene of Planet Of The Apes!

That's an old shot, He's added more and the neighbors are still trying to find a way to get it removed. :) It's on Sandhill just south of Flamingo and worth the trip, if you are in the immediate area, that is. :)

15. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I've been to Wayne Newton's house, had a really good time there. Thanks for the advise on the burros, I'll be careful. I've been to Vegas about a dozen times, and always have a rental. When I'm bored with gambling I like to see new things. I'm sure I've seen all the popular things in and around Vegas. Been to both Grand Canyon West and South rim. All the stores from Vegas reality shows, Red rock and Valley of Fire also. Again thanks for all the replies.

16. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is the Nevada Test Site Tour put on by Nevada National Security http://www.nv.doe.gov/outreach/tours.aspx#Tour%20Datesac. You have to plan about a year in advance to get on one though and pass security clearance. I always thought it would be interesting but I can never plan my trips that far in advance.

17. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting design ... Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health. I would love to see the inside, but not as a patient. :poke:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes known as the "This is your brain on drugs" building. :)

You can't miss it when you exit the north outlet mall to the north.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always wanted to stop and checkout Grapevine Canyon on the way to Laughlin. But always to busy. http://www.theorionzone.com/grapevine_canyon.htm scan down

20. danny8235

danny8235 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try the stage door
    You will remember it for awhile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.