1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

routing from Hoover Dam to Stratosphere

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ace-n-Lucille, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So as my plan stands now we'll be visiting Hoover Dam in the afternoon, then heading to the Stratosphere for an evening hour or two before heading back to Downtown.

I'm old-school and I do maps, not GPS. My questions:

(1) we'll be coming back north through town on the 515 obvs. What exit do I want for the easiest route to the Stratosphere? (bonus points for keeping us out of neighborhoods we shouldn't be in.)
    (2) we'll need to stop and gas up the rental car before turning it in. Easiest place to do this either before or after the Stratosphere?

Thanks!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a great map - and you can print it out

maps.google.com

By the way, my wife has been printing out directions for years. Recently she watched me use the google app on my phone. It tells us when to turn, etc. She now uses it too.

3. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on time of day you may be better off taking the 215 to the 15 - exit Sahara and you're there. You could also jump off the 215 on Las Vegas Blvd for gas - there are a couple stations just south of there, easy access back to the freeway..

4. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys.

(1) we have dumb phones. Know and love Google maps, but have to have it in my head or printed out.
    (2) thanks mescalita. I think I got caught up in "we're taking 215 to get there, we'll take 515 back for different scenery". Distance-wise, it looks like 6 of one and half-dozen of the other (not much difference.) I'm guesstimating we'll be heading through sometime from 3:00-5:00 pm. Would you still recommend the 215-to-15 routing for us?
    (3) if we could avoid exiting and then re-entering the freeway to gas up the rental car, that would be awesomely simpler. Anything near our Sahara exit to the Stratosphere, if we go that way?

5. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My preference at that time of day would be to take the 515 and exit at Las Vegas Blvd. It's an easy and pretty cool two mile drive down to The STRAT . I know there's at least one gas station along the way - I think at the Oakey intersection. Safe travels and good luck!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always have printed directions/map as a backup just in case when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar.

7. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. It sounds like I should just stick with my 515 routing and not get off the freeway till downtown/Las Vegas Blvd., then backtrack to the Stratosphere. Yes? I'm all about keeping this as simple as possible for us (we're old!, and we don't drive in big cities very often). :) Surely we'll see a gas station somewhere on LV Blvd. - I'll look further for the Oakey intersection you mentioned mescalita.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You didn't mention what day you will be travelling. Mondays through Fridays the traffic starts to pick up on the freeways around 4:30 - 5 pm so the earlier you travel the better.

If you are taking the 515 (on weekdays) I would recommend taking the Sahara exit and drive west to get to las vegas blvd. Sahara is a wide avenue so easy to traverse (except when you hit the traffic lights). If you take the 515 to downtown on weekdays you get caught up with traffic trying to get to the "spaghetti bowl", the intersection where the 515, 95 and I15 meet. On weekdays sometimes the traffic backs up way before downtown so by getting off at Sahara you will miss the gridlock area (unless there is an accident). If you are travelling on a Saturday or Sunday there probably won't be as much traffic so you can drive through downtown to get to the strat.

As others have mentioned, the 215 to I15 is simple and you take the Sahara exit and it is only a block or two to get to the strat. Of course later in the afternoon there will be a lot more weekday traffic so beware that route.

Gas: there are a number of stations along Sahara avenue if you take that exit from the 515. The arco station at the corner of lvb and oakey looks like a good price too.

9. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay makikiboy - exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I worried and wondered about the traffic, 15 vs. 515, and also avoiding neighborhoods we shouldn't be in. We will most likely be doing this sightseeing day on a Monday. I can't predict how long we'll want to stay at Hoover Dam - but guessing we'll be heading back through town around 4:00 p, plus or minus. The plan is to hit Stratosphere Level 107 for happy hour libations and sustenance. (hee hee - drinks and snacks).

515 to Sahara exit it is, stopping to gas up at the easiest-looking station.

Thank you!

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can also play it by ear, listening to the regular traffic reports on the radio to see how the freeway is doing, esp by the spaghetti bowl. They also mention if there are any blockages on the regular streets.

11. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good idea. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.