1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Delta worldwide total system outage

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Winner23red, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winner23red

Winner23red Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh! What a disappointment for Vegas-bound Delta passengers today.

2. lubbie

lubbie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, me and my mom.... Flying from Amsterdam to Las Vegas..... no sign of getting there any Time soon...

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Latest on our "reliable" local news is that all Delta morning flights out of OMA are delayed, not cancelled, and that they are running on a backup system. They say that afternoon flights are showing on time, at least for now.

4. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest two weeks ago, now Delta.

These are the only two airlines I fly!

Get your s*** together, airlines!

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Russian hackers, maybe? :) :) :)

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There must be more to it than a power outage, as claimed on Delta's website. (Fortunately, no power outage where I live; and more importantly, won't be flying Delta for a couple more weeks.) But come on – don't they have backups? I wouldn't turn on my desktop computer without being connected to a UPS; and even then, it's configured to do an orderly shutdown after so long!:goofy:

7. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's exactly what I was thinking dmr...:grrr:

8. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have some limited insight into BCP for businesses.

My guess is the loss of power could be just that with failure of the back-ups (and probably back-ups to those back-ups given it was Delta's main hub that went offline). Or, it could have been a fire in a data center and there was a shutdown to roll over to another center. When rollover occurs, there can be downtime for systems before they come back online. When stuff like this happens - it's not talked about much other than - it is a down system. Even most higher level employees don't have details because it spreads rumors. If warranted, they'll explain after the scenario has been closed out.

We had a sprinkler go off in our largest data center and I kid you not, the manager next to my office came over and told me that there was a massive fire and explosion and that the fire department had to knockdown a wall to get into the building to put the fire out a mere ten minutes after the sprinkler decided to leak. Um, no, that's not what happened. The misinformation spreads internally and if it gets to the media does irreparable reputational damage to a company's value. That is why the companies release official statements as the scenario plays out sticking to factual details. This is a situation where no news is better than the wrong news.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not exactly the info I want to see with a pending Vegas flight for Friday morning o_O

10. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you flying Delta?

I assume by Friday, you'll be fine.

However: for the next two days I'd expect lots of cancellations. Just like with Southwest a couple weeks ago: there is a snowball effect when they have to cancel a bunch of flights. Even if the planes are at the airports, flight crews often get stuck in the wrong cities.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes flying Delta

last two times I've gone to Vegas I was stranded in Denver overnight; granted, that was not during the summertime, but still I worry about my bad luck traveling out there

12. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somebody put some slack in the line between the two tin cans!? Oh, wait--that's Spirit!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phade, that is probably a pretty fair explanation of what is happening. I would rather wait to hear an accurate explanation rather than guesses and half truths.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  14. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Detroit this morning with a 3:40 p.m. flight home to Austin. My fight was only delayed about 40 minutes. Actually the Delta terminal was pretty calm by the time I got there. I did book a backup flight home on SWA for first thing tomorrow a.m. but was able to cancel it and my points were refunded to my account when I got home.

Happy birthday to me!
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our in-house TAs avoid booking us for a Denver connection during the winter due to just such things.

The one time I spent the night on the floor of the Denver airport it was summer. The flight into Denver was late due to weather and missed the connecting flight which was the last flight to LAS that night. The people at the desk could not find any flight that even connected into LAS that night so our only options were to rent a car and drive the rest of the way (we considered it) or wait until the first flight out in the morning. :(

16. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still a lot of cancellations out of DCA from what I hear (fortunately we're on Southwest tomorrow). Not sure how BWI or IAD are doing w/Delta.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just looked at the "big board" for OMA and it seems like all of the morning Delta flights going out are late, plus a few in the afternoon as well. Only cancellation I saw was one early flight from Atlanta.

18. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son got caught in this. He flew back to Portland via Salt Lake from Vegas. They didn't leave Salt Lake until 1:30am this morning, 3 hours late. Got to Portland about 2:15am. He said the crowd in Salt Lake was crazy. When he got to Portland, there were still people trying to leave. Oh, what a mess! At least this happened at the end of the trip!!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  19. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope they get this all straightened out soon. My 87 yr old father is flying out in a few weeks from MSP to Bos and we definitely do not need any problems!!

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  20. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my flight is on time for tomorrow morning; in fact they bumped up the departure time even earlier... seems odd for what I presume is the first flight on that plane for the day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.