1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots (Probably Silly) Penny Slot Question

Discussion in 'Slots' started by thecarve, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past weekend I was at Cosmo. One day, I had just had a particularly bad run at VP and then BJ and was trying to find something to do until dinner that wouldn't cost too much or force me out into the sweltering heat.

I passed by a Ted machine and thought, "this might be good for a few laughs". So I sat down, inserted a twenty, made a minimum bet of 60¢...and promptly won almost $200 on my first spin.

So my question is, would I have won a proportionally larger amount had I been betting more? Or does betting more just give me a better chance of hitting a winning combination (i.e. give me more combinations that pay like a Spin Poker game)?

By the way, while the Ted game was very profitable for me (even in addition to my lucky first spin), I was wrong about it being good for a few laughs. So boring.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure you would... but since everything is based on the random number generator... and a split second decision... maybe, maybe not.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C'mon man. Obviously I mean if the same random number was generated...just more money was involved.:rolleyes:

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In most penny games I'm aware of, including Ted, your win will be relative to your bet size in most cases for base game wins, but I have seen a few games that add more valuable symbols with larger bets instead. But often in penny progressive jackpot games, the same progressive jackpot amount is often awarded regardless of bet size, but if you wager more, your chances of winning the progressive proportionally increase. For example, lets say you can bet 1 to 5 credits per line. The progressive bonus is a pick screen bonus of 5 envelopes, one of which is the progressive and others are credit prizes. If you bet one, you pick one envelope. If you bet 5, you get them all. If you bet 3, you pick 3, and so on.

And if you would have bet max instead of min, all your timing would have been different by a fraction of a second and you probably wouldn't have won 333X your bet . ;) That's a pretty big hit for a penny machine!

Sorry to hear about the VP and tables. :(

• Like Like x 2
  5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to punch the next poster who thinks I'm too 'tarded to understand how RNG works! :poke: Lol (nothing but love, guys).

But thanks for the explanation, tring.

And don't cry for me...variance was on my side, brother. $8k to the good for the trip! :headbang:

I just happened to be on a really ugly 24-36 hr. stretch at the time of my "Ted adventure" which was bookended by a ridonkulous start and pretty good finish.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always like to think if I'd have been betting max, it wouldn't have hit anything...it makes me feel better about my decision .

When you hit on a first spin, it does make you wonder if the machine was "primed" by people losing money on a collective bank of machines, no matter how well you understand how slots and RNGs work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, here's the way that I look at it.

The winning percentage is set by the denomination, the bet multiplier sets the bet amount. IMO, the two are mutually exclusive.

My largest jackpot was over $12,000 on a machine that had a maximum bet of $15.00. However, I was only playing $10.00. That way I always remember it is "If I had been betting $15.00, I probably wouldn't have won the $12,000".

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how you increased your bet.

Say you bet 6 lines at 10 cents a line.

If you doubled your bet by increasing it to 6 lines at 20 cents, yeah, you would double your win.

But if you doubled your bet by betting 12 lines at 10 cents, then any result is possible. The original 6 lines would pay the same original amount. The additional 6 lines on their own could pay nothing, less than the original 6 lines, the same as the original 6 lines, or more than the original 6 lines.

9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let say the buttons are listed as : 1x, 3x, 5x
    When you hit a bonus it will usually list you winnings something like
    3000 credits
    x1 (if you opted for only 1x)
    ---------------
    Total 3000

If you opted for 5x
    3000 credits
    x5
    ---------------
    Total 15000

So, yes the multiplier when betting does affect your total.

Other machines do it differently.
    For example, my wife and I play the same machines next to each other.
    She bets minimum and I bet max.
    We get the same bonus round where you get to choose items with amounts hidden within.
    She may see values of 5, 15, 25, 35
    I may see values of 150, 250, 300, 500
    In this scenario you won't see the multiplier as shown above as it has already been factored in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.