1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

If the $20 trick fails?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by hotreds, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you take the money back or just grin and bear it? Happened to me and the clerk kinda looked at it longingly and said she was sorry she couldn't help me. I felt bad and let her keep the $20. Should I have just said that I was sorry I couldn't help her, either and taken the bill back?

Once before the clerk tossed the bill back at me and asked "What is this?" so the end result was clear, but was conflicted about this last time.

2. FrankCastle

FrankCastle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering this same thing. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and experiences.

3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's only happened once but I took it back. I have had instances where the clerk helped me out with what I requested but just left the money sitting there and I had to tell the clerk that it was for her (must have been new). One time the guy gave me the upgrade I asked for and gave me the money back.

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on a few things. Are you doing it to tip them for providing you with exceptional service that goes above and beyond their normal job or are you trying to bribe them to get what you want?

Personally, I hold the money back and use it for a tip if they try to help me with my request. You can usually tell because they type away on their keyboard a lot more during check in and/or make several phone calls to see if they can accommodate your request. Then, after receiving the room keys, I would hand them the money and say thank you.

If I was to hand them the money at the beginning, then it's the clerk's money and they can do with it as they please, whether they try or not.

I have had some refuse the cash, so I make sure to get the clerk's name so I can fill out a survey later to let the hotel know how much I appreciated so-and-so going out of their way to make me feel welcomed and appreciated at check in.

5. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tried it once at Harrahs(with an H) many eons ago when it was the rivertboat theme.
    Woman said no, but as we walked away the bell captain came over and said, wait a minute.
    he came back about 5 minutes later with keys to the General Robert E Lee suite.(strip view, two bedrooms,
    spa tub, etc.... now that was worth $20 x 2 as me and my buddy each tipped him
    As he was leaving the room, he said if there is anything else, just call him.
    In jest i said how about two blondes with big tits?
    he said. what time do you want them?

• Like Like x 3
  6. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly what I do. While I'm talking with them and asking if there's a chance for a complimentary upgrade, I leave a $20 bill on the counter. If they are able to find an upgrade for me, it becomes a $20 tip. If they can't (which has been pretty rare), the money stays with me.

7. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I have ever just put it on the counter,I'd feel bad to take it back.If it still folded in my hand and no upgrade provided (or at least what appeared to be a solid effort),I just keep it.I have tipped for the effort before w/o any upgrade.
    The girl even had housekeeping leave a thankyou note under the door at the Rio once.

8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, in a place where there are cameras EVERYWHERE, leave $20 on the counter?? . . .

How about a little discretion?? When I used to do it, I'd sandwich it between my credit card and player's club card and hand it to the check-in person. If they returned it, I would insist that they keep it for trying. In some cases, they'd try again and find something.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I would say should be done.

10. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never put money on the counter. I just ask for the specific room type and view I want. If they come through, I give them cash ranging from $20-$50. In the past, I've given $50 at Cosmo and Vdara as they delivered above and beyond what I asked for (pictures of that Cosmo room are in my profile). Also, I never had anyone decline the cash tips.

Annual Golf Trip
  11. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It happened to me twice, first time I just let them keep it b/c they didn't offer it back (which I regretted as the service was otherwise not good) and the second time it was offered back and I took it. If it happens again without a doubt I would take it as it's pretty much understood it's given for the purpose of securing at least some sort of "upgrade". I would also sandwich it between the credit card and ID like many for what it's worth. Obviously upgrade means different things to different people lol

12. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, perhaps I should clarify. I don't put it far away from me at the end of the counter or anything. It's on the counter, near where I'm resting my arm. It works for me. When I first started going, I used the surprise $20 "sandwich" you describe, and it just seems a bit cheesy to me. But everyone's mileage varies.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.