1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Favorite/"Can't Miss" Olympic Event

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Richard Alpert, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm watching the men's road bicycling race today (bicycling is my favorite sport to participate in).

What sporting event are you looking forward to the most in the Rio Olympics?

2. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the women's gymnastics and all the swimming/diving. Luckily, these tend to be primetime events so I usually can't miss them.

My husband likes smaller/less well known sports like trapshooting. He'll be watching mostly online, I think!

3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "We" generally watch the swimming / diving. I watch* wrestling/weightlifting/track...she watches gymnastics.
    I watch more winter sports than summer sports.

Maybe my COMH (crotchety old man hormones) are kicking in but it gets harder and harder to watch the Olympics with every passing set of games. The opening ceremonies - I just can't do it. I can't seem to sit there and listen attentively to some guy go into exhausting detail about the stage show and what every nuance of this or that means. And I'm not really interested in the relentless back-stories that get trotted out ("you know he grew up in a shack in the Louisiana bayou, that had a chimney made out of human skull, but he swam every day in cottonmouth and gator infested waters to develop this level of skill").

* should I happen across it while channel surfing. I don't actually make the effort to find it.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Maybe my COMH (crotchety old man hormones) are kicking in but it gets harder and harder to watch the Olympics with every passing set of games. The opening ceremonies - I just can't do it. I can't seem to sit there and listen attentively to some guy go into exhausting detail about the stage show and what every nuance of this or that means. And I'm not really interested in the relentless back-stories that get trotted out ("you know he grew up in a shack in the Louisiana bayou, that had a chimney made out of human skull, but he swam every day in cottonmouth and gator infested waters to develop this level of skill").

Same issues (hormonal?) that I have. Soccer is my go-to sport - commercials only at halftime, fun watching the best women players in the world and the future stars on the men's side.

5. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like women's gymnastics and track & field.

6. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like most all of the Olympics and look forward to it
    every year. I do agree with deansrobinson though about the
    endless hard luck stories that the announcers seem to think
    we all need to know. He described it perfectly too.

I think during these Olympics my favorites would have to be the swimming, gymnastics and
    of course track and field. But - I try to keep the TV on when I am home and stop to watch
    the other events whenever something exciting is happening.

7. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm excited to watch the women's soccer this year.

the Canadian women's team in 2012 really caught a lot of peoples attention. They're a fantastic team and really fun to watch.

8. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Opening Ceremony and the Closing Ceremony...As well as Gymnastics and Basketball...

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Women's soccer!

Winter Olympics are my favorite (ICE HOCKEY) but I will watch any and all Olympic sports. My husband and I love to watch and judge things we know nothing about!! I'm not much of a sports fan in general but every two years I'll cram it all in and watch weird stuff. And yes, my husband loves to watch curling. He's weirder than I am ;-)

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is an avid mountain biker, so we watch that for sure. We also watch the road race, but skip most of track cycling and BMX.

I always get caught up in all the swimming. I swam in Santa Clara with many of the Olympians who missed out on 1980 because of the boycott. I'm trying to only watch medal events instead of all the heats this year due to time constraints.

We try to catch at least a few minutes of every event if we can. We found a summary show every night on CBUT (Canadian TV) that is helping us to catch a glimpse of everything.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in 1992 we had the Olympic Triplecast on our big dish. I watched a ton of Olympics that year. We didn't pay for it, but the "feeds" for the red, white, and blue channels were one satellite over so we enjoyed a lot of sports without the commercials! It was a fun escape from my usual summer farm work. (Thanks to my dad for excusing me from haying those few weeks!)

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Girls ribbon dancing.

Michael Phelps Bong Relay.

Synchronized Swimming.

Women's Pole Vault.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Judo, Greco Roman wrestling and fencing, I hold a Black Belt in Judo, wrestled all through school and the USMC and use to compete in Fencing, Sabre and Foil, and still watch these sports any time they come on Olympics or not.

14. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weightlifting.

15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Volleyball (either kind) because I have played a lot of it, along with sports one rarely sees. I don't enjoy the peekaboo boob and butt shots of the women, though. I like seeing those things but dislike the way the network uses them to sell its coverage.

Dramatic action on the court/track/floor/in the pool, etc. Not manufactured drama used as hype, but drama arising naturally from the action. An example would be the weightlifter who retired last night by taking off his shoes. He didn't expect to win, but did when his main opponent was injured and could not continue. He could not complete his record lift attempt, which is realistic because the weight always beats you in the end. Bows to the crowd from both lifters. Real pain, real tears. All quite dramatic and quite real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was really disappointed when they showed the medal ceremony for Ursane Bolt in the men's 100 meters. They played the wrong song isn't the Jamacan national anthem Pass the dutche by Sonic Youth:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved the cycling in The Velodrome with Team GB truly dominating it.

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is a cycling fanatic, but we usually don't watch any of the track cycling events. This year we watched the men's Omnium and I LOVED the elimination race. Last person of every lap is out. It went so fast and was really exciting. I still don't understand why Cavendish was out, when he wasn't last. Dan tried to tell me something about an illegal pass, but I still don't get it. Still enjoyed it. I was disappointed that they didn't show it when the women's track cycling was on. Instead they showed the points race, which is 100 laps and seemed boring in comparison.

Dan can't wait for mountain biking this weekend! We're going to watch on CBUT (Canadian TV station that shows here in Seattle) because they seem to have more coverage than NBCSports - 6 hrs vs 3 hours. I need to make some room on the Tivo for it. ;)

Last night I said that I felt like I had seen enough people running to last me 4 more years. My husband pointed out that's how some people feel about swimming. It's just swimming and more swimming and more swimming. :haha:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's amazing how I became so emotionally-invested in fencing, table tennis, archery, and judo. Oh, well...

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, every Olympics, this is me:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.