1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Breeze's Deadliest Catch Musings

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Counting The Bait and the special 2 hour finale last night here are some random thoughts. I am fascinated by this series.

Northwestern - Wow, Sig having an actual heart attack on camera. That is exactly how I felt. It's the denial that is the most amazing part. Time for Edgar to take over the boat.

Time Bandit - Jonathan just keeps chugging along. The most consistent Captain. May need to find a relief captain because it looks like Capt. Andy has had it with the fishing and just wants to do the business end.

Saga - Captain Jake is a burnout waiting to happen. He needs lots of help controlling his temper. Didn't make quota.

Cornelia Marie - Capt. Josh has proven himself as a captain, although it's a learning process. A little too cocky bringing in the boat under quota. Should have listened to Capt. Casey, who is very practicable and level headed. They will split the duties next season.

Breanna M - Hard to believe that Capt. Sean is only 23. He will one day be one of the top captains. Very eager to listen and learn.

Wizard - I believe Capt. Keith should turn the boat over to his brother Monte and stick to the business end. Way too many personal problems. Who knew he was an alchoholic?

Cape Caution - Capt. Wild Bill is a dick. No two ways about it. I think the producers lingered too long on the conflict with his son, who we knew hated his guts all along. There will probably be some sort of reconciliation. Doesn't change the fact that Wild Bill is a dick.

You don't have to tell me that the show is heavily edited just like other reality type shows. I don't let that ruin the experience of enjoying the show.

I wonder why there were no big ice incidents this season?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep saying that I'm done with this series, but it keeps pulling me back in. I usually catch an episode a few weeks into the series and then scramble to catch up.

I love all the long time captains and miss Andy being on the show. I sometimes feel like Jake is my kid brother and I just want him to succeed, but he does need to learn to get that temper under control. I laughed when he broke his chair having a tantrum earlier this season. Um, Jake, that little itch should be telling you something. ;) I've never liked Keith that much, but I do feel bad for his life going to hell. His face has been saying he's got a drinking problem for a couple seasons. I hope he can get it together.

Bill is gruff, but I'm not sure I'd call him a dick. He's old school fisherman, through and through. I'm still not sure what his son was doing on the boat. He was always just standing there, watching everyone else work. Probably not a good way to work your way up the ladder.

I agree that Josh got cocky on that last string, but I wasn't clear if they had time to set another one and go back before they had to head to the cannery. I know a lot of this drama is scripted and that the "cannery" called all the youngsters to see if they can prove themselves. I kind of wanted to see them try to pull that with one of the old timers like Jonathan or Bill. I have a feeling both of them would have said "What? Can't hear you!" and gone back to fishing. :haha:

I was really impressed with Sean this season and keep forgetting how young he is. I hope we get to see him next season.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Sig next season. Will he let Edgar do more of the day to day boat running? Or will he need to be in the captain's chair? I thought it was interesting at the end that his daughter wasn't looking at the NWern. I think she is fully aware how close she came to losing her dad out there somewhere. What if they had been 400 miles out when he had his heart attack? That would have been bad. It seemed clear that the clot-busters they were able to give him in Dutch was what saved him. Phew!

Did you see the promo for the Dungeness Cove series this fall? Again, I said I wasn't going to watch it, but ... *sigh* Yup, I'm probably in. I love Newport, OR. Have been going there since I was a little kid. I'm a sucker for this docu-drama kind of show. I always say I don't have time for them, but Tivo manages to help me to find the time. ;)

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I will watch the Oregon one.

4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a hard time not tuning in to this show too.

So was Counting the Bait after the 2 hour show? I watched the show on and off last night but went to bed when Sig had his heart attack. I thought the follow up would be next week.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did The Bait before the 2 hour finale. Then a tease for a new show. Then a rerun of the finale.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Counting The Bait - I meant that along with watching The Bait it was a three hour tv show. Counting The Bait is not a show. The Bait is the show. I should have said "If you include The Bait yadda yadda..."

It's funny because I can picture you sitting there and nodding your head while I try to explain this.:beer::wave:

7. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly haven't watched it in like 4 years
    Shark was jumped long ago, meh

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your loss, man. You missed Sig having a heart attack on camera.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave up on most reality shows a while back , the stars on these shows(deadliest catch/storage wars/gold rush, etc) are getting tens of thousands per episode, they really dont care if they lose a grand on a bad locker. Keep in mind that they're encouraged to do dumb things and act like dicks cause it's good tv.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just an old man having fun.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sig has always been a controling dick.
    plus I felt he was keeping Edgar down, Edgar's back is so fucked, he should be in the wheelhouse not the deck

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear ya, that's why I gamble and drink!

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about Edgar's back problems. Does anyone know if he ever had the surgery to fuse those discs?

14. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, silly me. I thought Counting the Bait was an odd name for the show. I had an image of them sitting around chugging beer while counting dead fish. Thanks for the explanation Breeze (nodding head) :beer:

I see all 3 hours are repeated tomorrow night. I may have to watch it again since I missed so much. This time I'll tune in more than out.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He had something done last year, but I don't remember exactly what.

Edgar is more important to the Northwestern than Sig. He is a genius with the mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not much into the drama about the different Captains but I'm amazed at the conditions those guys work under. Commercial fisherman is always right up at the top of most dangerous jobs.

17. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I have an ol' H.S. buddy who captains a Salmon boat
    out that way.
    He doesn't doesn't fish out passed the peninsula ( Bering Sea)
    like those guys do --- but he knows those guys.
    It is REALLY dangerous.
    Years ago - when he was a deck hand - he got caught up in the fishing wench
    and dislocated his hip.
    He had to wait several hours to be air lifted off the boat.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I do agree on most of the reality shows, you just can't fake the Bering Sea. Sure, it's edited for dramatic effect. I know that and accept it. Still, when a giant wave knocks the crew from one end of the boat to the next, or when there is a real fire on a boat 400 miles from help, or when a captain can't find the crab and the crew is seeing their money evaporate, that's for real.

19. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i might have to start watching again. i haven't watched since right after Captain Phil died. i was sad about Jake and his drug use, so that was kind of a stopping point for me.

20. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's about as real as you can be on a reality show. The waves coming over the rail are not fake. The ice is not fake. I used to know a few crabbers when I ran a nightclub back in the 80s and they can get crazy. I think they made a lot more then without quotas. One smart kid came back one season and bought a nice house for cash!

Sean is young but I think Sig took over the Northwestern at 22. From what I've seen, Wild Bill and his son don't talk until they go to sea! Most of the complaints are issues any normal father and son would have discussed long before getting on a boat. Part of an "unreality" show I guess. My other fav reality show is Alaska the Last Frontier. It's about as close to real as you can get. Interesting side note is the family of Jewel the singer. She grew up on that homestead. Her father wrote the opening song and sings it along with his daughter. Hope it comes back.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.