1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NASCAR Pocono Winner Pays 1000:1

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Camp Rusty, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rain delayed race from yesterday, and the fogged in conditions mid race today yielded the longest of the longshots.

According to Vegasinsider.com the odds were 1000:1. Not sure what the Vegas odds were, possibly a field bet but ya' gotta' hope the kids cousin was in Vegas had a twenty on him. I atually bet ten bucks on him earlier this year, wish it would have been this weekend !1

2. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NASCAR doesn't get the love it deserves from the sports books. The way they adjust odds for restrictor plate tracks really only leaves weather shortened races for tracks where you can pit under green without getting lapped for someone to win some decent money on a long shot like today. It's a magic combination that doesn't happen often at all.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always throw a sawbuck on a ridiculous long shot when weather is a possibility.

In spite of the fact that very long odds drivers can seldom win, NASCAR is a savvy gambler's dream (assuming you follow the sport). There's so little action that you can find great values almost every week.

4. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although I've only been to Vegas four times during the season, I thought just the opposite. Granted, I placed many bets each trip, but it's tough for me to see the value. I always put some money down on the 4 car, one of the RCR cars, and three or four mid-tier teams who only run well at a handful of tracks, e.g. the 17 at Bristol, the 5 at Richmond, etc.

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it's entirely possible I've just been lucky. But after betting on 50+ races (all series) I'm up big. I can't say that about any other sport.

I just study past results at the track as well as results on sister tracks and teammate's results and try not to be too swayed by momentum or my personal favorites.

6. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's damned impressive. Which sports books take odds on Xfinity or Truck races?

7. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, not too many these days (at least on the strip)...other than for the LV race and maybe Daytona and Indy. Unless - hopefully - someone can correct me?

Who do you like next week, TJC? I'll be in town.

8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not seen any lines on truck or Xfinity unless they are in Vegas, same as NHRA. Sprint cup odds are available weekly though. CET does odds on twenty drivers, and the other twenty are field. The Books only do props for the Vegas race and the Daytona 500, and those have diminished over the years. It takes a lot to handicap I guess.

Was lucky enough to attend the inaugural Vegas race ( my only stay at Excalibur ) and cleaned up on props, the most memorable was the O/U on yellows. I think it was 5 1/2, green track and never raced on......I think the race ended with nine yellows. Made out like a bandit that year !

I have done well on NASCAR, actually bet on Beuscher in March, I don't think he even finished. My bet is usually four drivers and a field bet. Agree with TJC and thecarve, weather is a factor, especially if it forces an entire day delay.

They are on a road course next week at the Glen, I am a sucker for drivers that have turned right in past lives like Danica ( I know I know, but she has long odds and actually can turn right) and Jeff Gordon is no road slouch and I think he will still be racing in Junior's car. The Bristol night race is the end of August and that is as big a crap shoot as the restrictor plate races. Tough to find a place to watch it in the Books though as NFL pre season has started big time on Saturday nights.

9. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were to choose three drivers for next week, it'd be the 4, 14, and 47. For value bets, I'd go with the 27 and the 15. Menard is a damn good road racer and having Danny Stockman as crew chief has lit a fire under him... which in and of itself is a hell of an accomplishment.

10. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good choices TJC......Allmendinger is a good road course guy.......wonder if there are going to be any "ringers" this weekend.......are Boris Said or Ron Fellows even still around ? Neither were at Sonoma I don't think.

I was glad to see Tony win Sonoma, I would have taken him had I been in Vegas.

11. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know the final line for Smoke to win at Sonoma, but I'm sure it paid a pretty penny.

Ol' Boris pops up unexpectedly from time to time, and I'm not sure if he'll be in Watkins Glen or not. I think Ron Fellows has all but given up running NASCAR, but he was a good one, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Carpentier or Max Papis at any of NASCAR's road courses, either.

It's amazing how far the Cup drivers have come in road racing compared to 30 years ago. For years, Ricky Rudd seemed like the only series regular that had a chance every race. Then it was either Jeffy or Smoke who'd win. The days of road course ringers being able to step into a fair to middling car and finish top 5 are all but gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping Dinger has some decent odds, but I'm not terribly optimistic about it.

Hard not to put money on Kyle - or pretty much any Gibbs drivers, though. Busch has made me a pretty penny over the years.

13. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I had to pick a Gibbs driver for this weekend, I'd go with Cousin Carl.

14. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Tony was 18:1, not positive though.

The drivers are in such better shape year after year.

I was always a Mark Martin fan, he was one lean mean drivin' machine. Feel like that about Carl Edwards now, and I am sure the kids like Chase Elliot are in great shape too. All the guys seem to start out now at birth in a go kart, isn't there a teevee show about kids and go karting, crazy parents like soccer parents only at a race track.

#18 Kyle can drive, his odds are always so low though. I think I would take him at Bristol in a couple weeks, even if he didn't pay much. Coming back last year from that wreck was incredible, gotta' respect that.

15. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right, Kyle Busch is a hell of a driver, but I can't stand him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.