1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone ever had something stolen from the TSA?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Dan_Tanna, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Tanna

Dan_Tanna Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently returned from Vegas to find that a gift bracelet I purchased was missing from one of my checked bags. It's not an expensive piece but still pisses me of that someone helped themselves to my stuff.

I've filed a claim with the TSA and am waiting. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? Did it work out for you?

Thanks,
    DT

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never noticed anything missing. Flying AA from Fort Worth to Atlanta I would often get a notice saying my bag had been searched (a while back though).

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't assume it was the TSA. Could have easily been an airline checker. I would file a complaint with the airline as well

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't check bags, so no.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Twice I have opened my bag to find a notice that TSA inspected my bag.

6. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only discovered that I was missing an empty water bottle once. It was one of those safe plastic ones where you pull on the top to drink from. I remember putting it in between my clothing.

I did however find prescription athletic goggles in my bag another time. I called the airline I was on and told them that I found it in my bag when I got home. I never got a call back from them.

7. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing taken but when my Son and his girlfriend got home from Vegas once there was some extra costume jewelry in their bag. We also called and never got a reply.

8. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    same here, nothing ever taken but on our first trip to vegas, my friends checked bag was searched, he had an orange tag from TSA saying his bag was picked for a random search...when he got to the hotel he noticed that they opened his vodka bottle and didnt close it all the way which leaked a nice bit on to his clothes

9. Nauriel

Nauriel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had something similar happen. TSA notice in my suitcase, things thrown about, and my nice suit was missing.

I had flown Delta and checked my bag. I called Delta and filed a claim directly with them and they sent me a check in under two weeks for the cost of the suit.

The catch? There is a limited window (48 hours?) in which to file a claim after you pick up your bag.

I would call your airline and file a claim ASAP.

10. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had anything taken but they always search my stuff. I think they think my coffeemate is a "drug".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing taken but I ALWAYS have the orange sticker knowing they searched. The last two times my lock wasn't put back on my suitcases. Both of them were tsa approved and I never had a problem before with them. That kinda pissed me off. I know they will open them but at least put the lock back on there. The lock is more for stuff not coming out my bag on accident than security.

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, I assume you mean "stole by TSA" and not "from the TSA"

Next, multiple people have your bags besides the TSA. Round and round through airport it goes.
    Personally, we never pack anything of any value. Take our shit and be happy.

Side note, which of course does not apply to you. More than one person has come here with their tale between their legs when they figured out they:
    did not pack said item
    wife threw it out
    left it in hotel room
    left it at home
    left it ....??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  13. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I fly to LV or AC I get the notice inside that the bag was searched,usually one-way and not both ways...Occasionally things are not as neat as I pack them but I'm glad they check checked bags..
    Their PR dept should do a similar campaign like to what you see now of what they find in Carry-ons..They must find a ton of stuff that is dangerous in luggage also.

14. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have TSA-approved locks.
    They always have been put back on though, if they look inside.
    I usually can tell, if the zipper and lock are not in the same place as where I locked it.
    Other than being messy, nothing was ever stolen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was more likely the baggage handlers.
    I've read articles about some being arrested for theft.They know where the dead spots are from the video cameras.
    I had a pair of small speakers stolen from a checked bag coming back from Jamaica which I could not squeeze into my carryon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dan_Tanna

Dan_Tanna Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I contacted Allegiant yesterday but haven't got a response. I think from now on I'll use the UPS store at Flamingo to send anything valuable back home, or maybe just cram all I can into a carry on bag. This sucks.

Thanks,
    DT

17. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I have had cash stolen from me by the TSA.

18. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife had a bottle of wine taken out of our luggage. I obviously remember packing it in the leg of a pair of pants and round and round with other clothing to protect it from breakage.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How are they able to do that? If in the carryon, it is just about impossible. I bury cash deep in the carryon. They only open it in front of you.

If on the conveyor and not buried in something, any other passenger has a chance to get at it.

If in your checked baggage - why? And again, it could be many people other than just the TSA.

==========================
    As to shipping stuff home? What can be of value that would not fit in a carry on?

20. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree it's not necessarily the TSA. But stolen cash does happen. There are prosecutions from time to time

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.