1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving to Vegas?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by carrie_dave_and_cody, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live just outside of Portland, Oregon. My husband and I are thinking about a road trip to Vegas. I was wondering if anyone has done this drive. I have a couple of questions about it. I know we can do a road trip, a few years age we drove to Yellowstone, 2800 miles in 8 days, including the last day we drove from Jackson, Wy to home straight thru. We would be driving my 2013 Kia Forte, so I figure about 400 miles per tank of gas.

My question are:
    1. What way did you go? When I google map it, they send me thru Burns, and Winnemucca.
    2. Is there anything between Winnemucca and Vegas?
    3. Where did you stop for the night, or did you drive straight thru?

Any advise would be helpful.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive from near Seattle. My parents live near Boise, so I drive I90 to I82 to I84 and to their house. From there, I head south of of Twin Falls and take I93 all the way to Vegas. On the way home, I often stop in Ely, NV, then to somewhere between Ontario and La Grande, OR and then home.

I like to stop on 93, south of Pioche at Cathedral Gorge to stretch the legs. I also really like the area around Parahanaght Lakes. But neither of them are worth the drive out of the way to get to see them. :)

Burns - Winnemucca seems like a pretty desolate trip. What way does Google have you going from Winnemucca? Down 95? The only section of 95 I've done was on a Death Valley trip between Rhyolite and Amargosa Valley. Not much help from me there. But I was considering that route before my parents moved to Idaho and stopping in Boise became mandatory. ;)

If you've got the time, the drive down 395 might be nice. Get over to Bend, and cut over to 395 out of La Pine. Lots of places to stop on that route. Also goes through Reno (and Tahoe if you decide take the detour over there). Eastern Sierras are pretty great and lovely scenery. Lee Vining and Mono Lake, June Lakes and Mammoth Lakes ski area. Then you can cut through Death Valley and into Vegas that way.

I have done that drive down 93 several times now and there is not a lot to see and do, but I love the desert scenery and the snowy mountains on either side of the valley on my spring trips. The drive to Vegas is unwinding time for me. The drive home seems much longer. ;)

3. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably stating the obvious here, but depending on what time of the year you go, take the weather into consideration also. My son drove from Vegas to Portland by himself. I dont remember the exact route but he said the length from Vegas to just before leaving Nevada was quite boring.
    Drive safe!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  4. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are thinking about going in June or September, either way passes should be clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.