1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Mirage Incidental Holds/Deposits

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Sonya, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got an email from MGM Mirage today asking me to change my hotel pages to reflect this info. I don't have those pages, but thought some of you might be interested so I'm sharing it here.

These are in regards to the holds put on your credit card at check in and are broken down by property:

ARIA and Bellagio
    - Incidental Deposit $150 per night

Mandalay Bay - Delano - Mirage - MGM Grand - Signature - Vdara
    - Incidental Deposit $100 per night

Excalibur - Luxor - Monte Carlo - NYNY
    - Incidental Deposit $50 per night

Circus Circus
    - Incidental Deposit $25 per night

Below are the Terms and Conditions verbiage:

The credit or debit card used to reserve your reservation will be required upon arrival to register. We will place an authorization against this account to cover applicable charges for room, tax and resort fees, as well as a ($$) incidental amount per day to allow you access to room charging privileges and may result in additional authorizations should your charges exceed the originally approved amount. Guests using a debit card in lieu of a credit card acknowledge unused funds are released upon check-out may take 3-7 business days for domestic banks and up to 30 days for international banks to become available through their financial institution.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they have different rules for different people or do they just make this stuff up as they go along?

I've never encountered incidental holds that were per night, always per trip. Looking at my upcoming reservations for Mirage, it states the following:
    • Guest's room balance plus a $200 authorization on a valid credit card is required to register, and to access incidental charging privileges. Guests using a debit card in lieu of a credit card acknowledge unused funds are released upon check-out yet may take 5-7 business days to become available through their financial institution.

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can ask. They sent out this verbiage in the email this morning. I don't know if it's a new policy or it's being applied unevenly.

Are you staying on a comp? Is it two nights? Looks like they are holding $200, or 2 x $100.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been here at Bellagio for 4 nights for a $500 slot buy in. Room food bev, late checkout, limo etc. comped but they actually did take $150 per night, so $600 against incidentals. Checking out in a few minutes.

5. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen those per night numbers before so it's nothing new, I've just never had to deal with them myself. I've got 3 reservations for different amount of nights, some comped and some not but none of them have per night holds.

Oh well, no big deal for me, it's just strange.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sent an email to ask if the per night is new. I will let you know when I hear back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only pay a little attention to hotel holds. I know they make them, but I really could care less how much they "hold". It costs me nothing. My credit card has plenty of limit available, and I always carry a few others just in case something happens to any of them.

Once I am home, I do check online and have seen some holds last for a few days, and then clear off. The only think we normally charge is tips. Meals, food, shows, spa is either comped or express comps.

(those people that mess around with debit cards are in a different world of .... anyways)

8. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2014 I brought down my two sons and 6 of their friends, so three suites. My host looked after 2 and the 3rd, we were going to use express comps if I didn't gamble enough etc. We used one of the "friends" credit cards for INCIDENTALS holds for the third room, but there was a charge put on his card to hold it. His credit card co called him to confirm he put the charge on and he said NO..hahaa...I didn't know at the time they would put a certain amount hold on his card, I thought it was JUST for incidentals, and my younger son's group was only like 22/23, a significant hold can ruin their buying power in Vegas. I straightened it out with my host later.

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never really thought much about it. I typically travel on an otherwise empty, high limit card. I've seen a hold if I check my card from the road, but it's usually under "pending charges". There has been a bit of talk about holds and debit cards in particular lately, so I thought I'd share the info I received directly from them.

I heard back from MGM Mirage, confirming that the fee is nightly, but not whether or not it's relatively new. I'm trying again. ;) Will let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can say the Luxor, Excalibur, Vdara, and Mirage "per night" fees are not new. I was always told it was per night - although the first two allowed me to waive the incidentals (which means no charging to the room, of course).

11. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called the Mirage VIP Services on Sunday (yesterday) and asked this same question. Since I am comped is only a $200 hold for the entire stay which for me is 4 nights. So it must be different if you are comped.

12. InDaGreen

InDaGreen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back home after spending last night at the Mirage. It's $200 no matter how long you are staying. I was there for one free night through MyVegas (and didn't give MGM a penny outside of the resort fee because of paid parking).

• Like Like x 2
  13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter how many times this topic comes up, there is never a consistent answer.

Ya gotta just laugh.

Okay....If you do not have a decent credit card and living on cash, or day to day, or tight limit debit cards - then I guess it is serious.

For those with a credit card - it is just downright comical.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  14. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure it is a laughing matter but it seems that without history the hold is per night and with history it's per trip.

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still hoping to get a direct and specific answer directly from corporate as we never seem able to pin down a specific policy on these holds. We speculate a lot based on our individual experiences or what we recall. I would love to have it clearly spelled out by them. I may not get it, but I try to share what I do get from them directly.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Too much work...need more play.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Sonya.

17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for hanging in there Sonya. Seems like it would be simple. After all, they must train all their front desk staff and give THEM some policy. I am sure it is not up to an hourly employee to make up their own rules.

P.S. - While you are banging your head against the wall - remember to stop when you see blood!

18. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought that if an incidental charge is worrying you, or the fact that you are living day to day, then Las Vegas might not be the right place for you!

Anniversary Trip
  19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Yeah, I usually just wait until I fall down and take an impromptu nap. :bang:

20. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or a different country as we've discussed in the past. :)

I don't think it's actually worrying anyone but it's nice to know it beforehand to avoid any unpleasant surprises. For example, there's a big difference for me if the hold is $200 or $1400. And yes, I know it's a hold, not a charge, but it make makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.