1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anniversary dinner for 15 people, center strip--ideas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by gradytripp, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our upcoming trip (unless I somehow schedule one before that!) is our 20th anniversary trip. We'll have about a dozen friends and family members with us. We're only planning one semi-"mandatory" event--the anniversary dinner. I'm looking for thoughts about, or experiences with, restaurants that would do a good job with a group of 12-15 people for dinner.

In an ideal world, this place would...

* not be really loud
    * have a view of...something (about half the group will be first-time Vegas visitors and it'd be nice to have a nice view for them)
    * price out at around $100-$125 per person (or less!), including a drink or two each (this is not hard and fast, but it's what we're thinking right now)
    * ideally be center strip, since that's where all/most will be staying (but I'm willing to entertain other options north or south strip)
    * offer tasty food and drinks!

Places we've been and like include:

Julian Serrano at Aria. (Pro: we like tapas and the ambiance there. Con: no view, really--except, I suppose, some good people-watching.)
    Giada's at Cromwell. (We've only eaten at the bar there, but we liked the apps and drinks we had. Pro: good view (maybe? if we were put by a window?). Con: pricy and loud?

A place we've been to, liked, but ruled out because it's very loud:

GR Steak at Paris. (But we'll probably visit/eat at the bar during the trip!)

Places we've not been to but are curious about include:

Olives at Bellagio. (Pro: good view? Con: no idea what the food is like.)
    Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. (Pro: good view? Con: it'll be August, people won't want to eat outside--what's it like inside?)
    Any place at Cosmopolitan? We've only eaten at China Poblano and The Henry, which don't seem like anniversary spots (but maybe they could be?).

Anyway, I'd welcome any feedback at all regarding what you think might be a good choice, or what has worked well for you in the past.

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A little off strip but we are hosting our vow renewal dinner at Alize on the 56th floor of Palms in May. I spoke with Jana at Alize and set up a really great group menu. She was wonderful to work with and the views are spectacular. They are very flexible in menu selections.

3. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny you mention that--before making my post I searched through old threads to make sure my question hadn't been asked recently, and in one of them someone (maybe you?) mentioned liking Alize. Consider it added to the list of possibilities! My wife is actually going to LV with her mom in May to do some "scouting," and I'll see if she can swing by Palms.

4. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you need Jana's contact info, let me know.

She can also arrange a group menu at Andre's in the Monte Carlo. There are sample group menus on both Alize and Andre websites.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was also going to suggest Oscars in the Plaza on Fremont street. Getting a table near the window in the "fishbowl" would be excellent, atmosphere-wise. If these are Vegas first timers, this is also a great way to expose them to Downtown Vegas as an aspect of their overall experience.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think Mon Ami Gabi would be a great choice if you don't want to be outside. The inside is fine, but fairly small and close quarters. And even if you wanted to be outside, not sure if you'd manage to get 15 people together on the patio.

If it was me, I would ditch the view requirement (tons of time for sightseeing), and focus on nice dining preferably in a place that might have a semi private area for larger groups. I can't think of an example but I am sure there are some.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could consider Scarpetta in Cosmo. I think it would be right in that range as far as price. Many of the tables that overlook the fountains are for two or four. Maybe they would accommodate a group for your occasion and put some of those tables together. We had a very good meal last month. I was with a picky group who turned up their noses at the menu, then proceeded to clean their plates!

8. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mastros oceans club in Crystals, for a party your size they have a nice room on the second floor. You can order off the menu or they have other fixed menus for groups. You will have to meet a food and beverage minimum but I don't recall what it was. Great steaks and seafood. If your party drops to 12 or less they can seat you in the main dining area.

Happy birthday to me!
  9. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Alize. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, excellent food, and of course, the great view from top of the hotel. It's not exactly on the strip, but it's close enough.

10. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might be too far south for you, but I've had lots of success with those size parties at Tenders (at Luxor).
    Nice and quiet, great atmosphere. (They can put you in the back so it feels you have your own room).
    However, there is no view.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    View or no view, I concur with the Alize/Andre's path. It's just a great way of cooking, simple but festive vibrant foods. I'll also toss Bouchon into the mix!

12. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

If you're looking for a view then the Eiffel Tower Restaurant is certainly worth looking into. I had a great dinner there. A little pricey, but 125 a person is definitely do-able.

13. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a frequent ALIZE diner. My favorite restaurant in Las Vegas, hands down.

Get a table so you will be there when the sun sets. It is awesome.

View is fantastic.
    Food is fantastic. Get the Dover Sole if you like fish, you will not be disappointed.
    Service is fantastic.

Stavros is the Manager. The ladies in the party will like him.

The sommeliers are either Claudio or Patrick, both are very knowledgable about wines. You can trust their recommendations.

One of the largest selections of cognacs in the world belong to Andre Rochat. who is the owner of Alize and Andre's.

I have had everything on the menu, and if you look at some of my old trip reports I do have pictures.

My last trip I did eat at Oscar's to try it out. An interesting view of the end of Fremont Street but there is a BIG slotzilla end building blocking a complete view. Their crab cakes were really good. I did see a fight between a women in a mobility scooter and a street person though.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah Slotzilla has really screwed up the view from Oscars. That really sucks.

15. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just reviving this thread to say thank you to everyone for the suggestions and feedback. We're going with ALIZE and it looks like it will be fantastic!

16. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try BLT Steak in Ballys. There is a great Travelzoo promo. $225 for dinner for four gets you $416 worth of food and drink.

17. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did our vow renewal dinner there in May; it was fabulous! Contact Jana Lane Southard at Alize. You can set up a menu with her with several choices for your guests.

18. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's exactly what we're doing--in fact, my wife just got off the phone with her, finalizing the menu. I'm glad to hear you had a great experience and I'm sure we will, too!

19. RunningRam

RunningRam Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had 8 for my 50th at Mon Ami Gabi at the end of August and they were able to put us on the patio. It was just after dusk and the temps were fine.

Annual Memorial Day trip with the wife at my home away from home!
  20. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you made a choice right for you. Good luck with everything...............Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.