1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

coffee maker in room, but you pay for coffee?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by dbook, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbook

dbook Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a room thru Myvegas at Mandalay Bay. I'm hoping to get a newly remodeled room (I'm staying on a Sunday in August, so I hope that I can get one) and I see that their is a Kuerig (sp?) in the room. I've read that you have to pay to use it. Is it the coffee you're paying for or the simple use of the maker? If I supply my own coffee pods and cup, can I use the maker for free? How cheap can I get???????

2. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience, you're paying for the kcup. When I see that I'm staying somewhere with an in-room keurig I snoop out a 20% off Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon and buy 20 pack. They are usually on sale there too.

I've seen hotels charge anywhere from $3-$5 for one cup. I'm not generally a frugal person but that is ridiculous.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was our previous experience at THEHotel as well (but as you can tell, that experience is a few years old ;-) - kcups were part of the paid-mini-bar, but we had our own to use in the machine. They haven't (yet) figured out a way to monetize the machines itself, so.....Just bring your own cups & have at it

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they still allow those to be sold using a discount at Bed & Bath. I used to do the same thing with Kohl's. Wait until I got a 30% off coupon and then go buy K-Cups. Then they stopped allowing discounts on them.

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not listed as an exception on a 20% coupon I just checked (I rarely shop at BB&B so I have a HUGE stack of coupons - they always let you use old ones - in my shopping tote) I don't have a Keurig but we do at work - sometimes I buy if I decide I want something special to drink at work, or I buy when we visit my sister because she has one - I just buy generic at the grocery store. Actually - for my sister, I now wait until we get to WI because there's a store near her that has a nice brand super cheap :)

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may not say on the coupon, at least it doesn't at Kohl's. It will usually say by the product itself. My Fitbit wasn't eligible, My Levi's weren't eligible, and now the K-Cups. Next time I get a BB&B coupon though, it's worth a drive over. Mine doesn't take the generic ones, so I have to buy the ones affiliated with Keurig.

Thanks for the info.

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is that legal? Thought that exceptions had to be marked explicitly? (I mean, there are PLENTY of exceptions listed on the BBB coupon. I don't have any Kohls coupons to check right now) Actually, I do have a kohls coupon......It says it's not eligible for consumables, so it is listed explicily on the coupon. Phew. My sense of justice is restored ;-)

8. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used a BBB coupon last weekend to buy a bunch of kcup packages as a gift for an employee that was retiring. No issues.

9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stickin' it to the Golden Nugget Man.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like Dewey mentioned I would invest in some cheap reusable filters. They are much cheaper on Amazon though per link below. Then buy your own coffee at the CVS or Walgreens (unless you want to carry that) and you can have all the coffee you want to your liking. I sort of understand why they dont provide free k-cups (although they should with such a high bullshit resort fee) however Im sure people would just not use them and pocket them from home a lot of the time... I would.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=reusable+k+cups

12. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair, $10 per 4 pack isn't that bad. Normal retail price for single one is about $1-$2. Even if you buy bulk,
    still $0.50+ each.
    Those water bottles, you can buy bulk in grocery stores for $0.15 each, and they sell it for $4, that's real rip-off.

13. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The warehouse clubs are closer to $.33 each in bulk in the NE.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a reusable filter and bring my own coffee. I believe that costs me under $0.10 per cup, but I don't do math away from the blackjack tables. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. danny8235

danny8235 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who cares about coffee Just order a BUD Much better than coffee

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No crusty in-room coffee machine for me. I buy coffee that stands a chance of having been roasted and ground recently. People with reusable K-cup filters can do that, but I don't know how many actually do.

17. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should really call them directly and ask. I just returned from Vdara, where they provide a Keurig upon request but charge $20 per day to use it (they supply 4 k cups a day for that price). I don't know what Mandalay Bay's policy is, but you are better off calling and finding out exactly what you have to pay for and if it can be used without renting the machine etc.

18. dbook

dbook Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THANKS so much everybody!!!!! I can check on MB's policy when I check in. Later on in the afternoon I'm going to the Walgreens across the street from Monte Carlo to pick up some water, snacks and such for my trip. If I can use the make with no fee, I'll pick up some K-cups then. Again -- THANKS!! This site and the VMBers are the BEST!!! I have learned so much about all aspects of planning my Vegas trip here!!

19. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    stayed at MB last year, had no problem with using my own K-Cups, they will charge if you use their cups. FYI, just last week Walgreens had a special on MCD kcups (with Walgreens rewards card)

20. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often bring my own coffee and filters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.