1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting bumped on a comp

Discussion in 'Comps' started by chantellevegas, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chantellevegas

chantellevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got an email from my host saying he's got an influx of high end players wanting suites for this coming weekend so i might be downgraded. Obviously this means bigger players than me, cool. But if he's not comping that room type anymore and i get a regular room, should i be asking for more freeplay or rc instead? Am i getting "undercomped"?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are getting a host type upfront comp, sometimes stuff happens. Heck, even a corporate offer can get bumped.

I would surely ask for freeplay or F&B to make up for the downgrade. I would point out that the suite was VERY important to you and see what happens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Disappointing news Chantelle when your trip is so close. But there's always the chance that suite could be available once you get there. I'd definitely respond to your host with something like 'Im disappointed a suite might not be possible, and in the event a suite isn't available, could you add additional RC or FP since you will be staying in a lesser room'? I believe your host will want to make things right in whatever way he/she can in this type of situation.
    Wishing you a good outcome that works in your favor!

4. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Chantelle, have a blast! FYI Nostresshere is right, yet again. Bumping unfortunately happens.

I had a corporate suite promo at Bellagio on my last trip and got bumped when I arrived. (Still had a blast though. It was our first stay at Bellagio, so it's not like we had rapport with them, and it was on Memorial day weekend, so it was understandable.)

I've read people bumped on PAID reservations. (THAT is not understandable!) Getting bumped is always a huge disapointment, so I am not saying it's ok, just that it happens.

I AM impressed your host warned you ahead of time, at least he/she was upfront and gave you time to book elsewhere if you wanted.

Geogran is spot on. Since you're working with a host vs. corporate offer, I'd definitely take her advice and nicely ask if they can offer more FP/or RC, if bumped. worst they'll say is no. Let us know what happens if you remember!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if you get downgraded on arrival, I would ask for more freeplay or resort credit. The room you were originally extended based on your play was worth $X. If you end up getting less than $X in room value, they should make it up to you.

It will be better for you to get additional non-room comps and then play at your normal level than to play lower because you're pissed. That will dent your ADT.

If they do give you additional comps, don't be surprised if they seem underwhelming. The difference in the room value may not be as much as you'd think.

If it does happen, try not to let it mess with your head too much. It does happen, and at least the host gave you notice.

6. chantellevegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I was impressed too he atleast emailed me before i got there to give me the heads up. I know im a nobody and they need to give their high rollers better. He thanked me for being understanding and said he will keep fighting to keep the suite. I will find out tomorrow if i've been bumped and will email him if so to see if i can get some extra FP or something. I tend to waste RC's especially on short trips.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen it myself. I was staying on an upfront comp from a host. As I was waiting in line I hear a desk agent tell a lady that no king rooms were available. She tried to escalate and a manager asked if It was a cash rate or a comp. she had paid for the room. As they're going back and forth my desk agent says let me do some checking. A few clicks later she says she has a king room available for me and I go on my merry way. In this case, a comp trumped a cash.

8. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Room type is different at least for Mlife.

"Every effort will be made to accommodate your requests for specific room type and location however, we are unable to guarantee any requests as rooms are not assigned until check in. Additional fees may apply depending on the specific requests"

9. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh wow Bayou, thanks for sharing! I would have never thought a comp would trump cash, another learning moment. Or, you just charmed them more. :D

10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had paid suites booked via Tier Discount and got bumped three trips in a row for various reasons, found out at check in each time, that's when I started winding down my relationship with MGM.

11. chantellevegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if i had paid for a suite and got bumped, then i would be really pissed and never go back to mgm properties. in this case since it's a comp and i don't know that i actually play enough to get the suite (my linked player does though), i won't be too disappointed about it, though you tend to get used to suites when you stay in one most trips. I did email my host back and ask if i get bumped if I can get some extra FP or RC. one thing this board has taught me is if you don't ask, you don't get!

12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always so elegant/refined Chuck, even when someone annoys you. I really need to master some of your calm/cool unflappableness.

I think Chantelle's verbiage was more in line with what my thoughts would be, if I was bumped from a PAID suite. Such a double standard on their end.

A comp I can see, but, that is terrrible, especially since they enforce a 72 hour rule for canceling reservations on the guest end.

I bet you DID start winding down that relationship, good for you, and I'm sure you made some new hotels very happy to gain you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.