1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber vs. taxis?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by scribe95, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribe95

scribe95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to Vegas in September for anniversary. We love the place. But last time got several annoying cab drivers who aggressively pushed for higher tips.

Wondered how Uber is working out there and if we should move to that.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

2. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Works great, I've had no issues with Uber or Lyft. Operates just like they do in all other cities. Sometimes it can be a little tricky to know where the rideshare pickup locations are for each hotel but the app gives good directions. Or you can always call your driver.

3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used Uber five times during our May trip. Positive experience each time.
    One tip I have, once you've "requested" your ride, text some details of your location to the driver. We were on the 1st Street side of The Cal and the system had us located at The Plaza.

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    or you can read the sticky topic in this forum.:poke::haha:

5. Nauriel

Nauriel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used Uber from the airport and it is easier, cheaper, and faster than the taxi line. Highly recommend it.

6. scribe95

scribe95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are costs about the same to cabs?

7. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check with both Web sites right before your trip. They each have a sign up bonus and the bonus will drop your 1st (or maybe more) trip cost significantly.

If you both sign up, you will each enjoy the bonus

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheaper IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try the search button. Everyone is making the switch to uber/lyft

10. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So much better and cheaper. A matter of fact it was so cheap that I used it more than I would the bus system. I believe Red Rock to Bellagio was $18.00. Also, one of them at first refused the tip and told me I wasn't required at all, but I told him I know and to keep it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heres 2 of 1000's of replies of what your UBER drivers think about it from a driver forum

BTW I NEVER stage at the airport. Only go there when pinged when I'm driving empty on Tropicana.
    In all the time driving have had about 40 pickups at LAS and only good trips was one to Henderson and one to NLV.
    Everything else just to s Strip hotel and of course NO TIP after hustling baggage etc.
    Complete waste of time.

Laughing Swordfish, 43 minutes ago

I don't accept any ping from airport while on Tropicana. Will not handle any luggages for no tip and $4 rides.

uberxreallysux, 36 minutes ago

12. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Uber and yes I use it in Vegas. Always a positive experience. I have 20% tip set on the app and then I tip a couple of dollars if they are friendly and personable which all have been. I always rate my drivers as well. I think you will enjoy it. Have a great time.

13. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have used Lyft a number of times in Vegas. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a driver to show up. Used Lyft again today, $10.71 from Airport to Ballys. Drivers have always been friendly, clean cars, and take the most direct route. Many drivers work for both Lyft and Uber.

14. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used Lyft for the first time on our May trip. It was cheaper, MUCH nicer & less stressful than cab. Downloaded app at airport & entered FLYLV code for 5-$10 credits; each ride was about $10 (Cosmo/Ballys to/from airport). It was $15 with surge pricing one day. So take $10 off each of those...
    And I tip EVERY TIME.
    The airport pick up is a tad annoying; be sure to take the 2nd floor walkway over so you only have to walk up 1 set of stairs as the elevators aren't enough to handle the crowds.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I (think I) said before I took my first Uber ride on a recent trip to LV. This was with a local friend who uses the service regularly.

The ride was nice. New full size sedan. Clean and the driver friendly.

Down sides were the pick-up area was a bit confusing to find and we had to wait several minutes. I know I could have caught a regular taxi much quicker.

And no, I've never been long-hauled in Las Vegas. (San Diego was another story!) :( I've also never been hustled for more of a tip. If my tip is on the low side or absent, there is a REASON for it and they probably know it. :)

16. LukeDWyatt

LukeDWyatt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time I was there Lyft had a promotion going on and we had multiple free rides.
    4/5 trips the car was nicer than any taxi, and you don't have the constant advertisements blasting at you.

17. firemanpete3

firemanpete3 Low-Roller

14 bucks for airport to cosmo. 16 dollars from cosmo to downtown. I think that's more than reasonable. And agree with texting your driver some details about where you are. Downtown it was pretty obvious where we were but at Cosmo the ride share spot is next to the cabs and it could be a bit confusing for both parties as to who's who.

18. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, but usually there's a mute button on the monitor.

19. rscpa

rscpa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used for first time last month. Took six trips, all clean cars and nice drivers. They have a convert!

20. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to push the wife to try this out during our August trip. She seems more comfortable with a taxi - no idea why at this point because we've ever only had one taxi driver who was courteous there across all of our trips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.