1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Should I switch from TR 7* to a different program?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by jtx, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtx

jtx Tourist

Sorry, this is going to be pretty long. Want to give some detail to not only get the best possible advice, but also to hopefully provide some insight into the comping/benefits of TR. I have been mulling over trying a different program for the last 2 years now. I have been with TR since I first started going to Vegas about 5 years ago (3 years DIA, 2 years 7*) and have been pretty happy, but have also found myself wondering about other programs. I definitely don't think I play enough to maintain high-level status with 2+ programs. The reasons I have been thinking about switching are because I've heard other programs may treat table players better and some other properties appear to be nicer (Wynncore/Bellagio/Aria/Venazzo/Cosmo).

Here are some facts about me (while I have been a 7*):
    • Under 30 years old
    • Go to Vegas 5-7 times a year (only book free play offers and have only stayed at Caesars and PH), usually with my girlfriend
    • Trip length is generally getting in Thursday or Friday night and leaving Sunday morning or afternoon
    • Strictly a table game player and generally play between 3-5 hours total (not per day) during trips
    • 95%+ of play is outside roulette bets with an average bet of $700-$800, sometimes lower ($500-$600)
    Here is some info on my offers/comps (while I have been a 7*):
    • In "low" season (Q1 and Q4) I get $900-$1,000 of free play, in "high" season I get $600-$750
    • Backend comps usually range from $700-$1,000 and I think I have a good relationship with my host
    • At Caesars we can stay in Augustus / Octavius rooms, but we can only get suites in the other towers (have only stayed in Augustus / Octavius rooms though)
    • At PH we can pretty much stay in any room / suite on any floor (except for the Bay Suites), including the floors that come with butler services (have never used the butler though)
    Things I like about TR (other than the free play and backend comps):
    • Offers extend across all properties - we love going to Lake Tahoe
    • I think the rooms we've stayed in have all been nice (don't know how they compare to other properties)
    • Fun events that make my girlfriend happy - private NYE concerts (Katy Perry, Ariana Grande), Uncork'd, Signature Events, etc
    • Diamond lounge and free spa access (girlfriend loves these as well)
    • Other freebies - annual retreat, DIA2 trip, celebration dinner, show tickets, etc
    • Free entry into Omnia with pretty much no wait, and have gotten 3-5 of my male friends in for free as well on many occasions (even arriving at midnight on the busiest Calvin Harris nights)
    • Good restaurants, but I think there are good restaurants / buffets at all the other places
    So, should I switch, and if so to which program?
    • As mentioned above, I have heard other programs may treat table players better than TR - would the offers and backend comps be better with other programs with my level of play?
    • What kind of room could we get at the Wynncore/Bellagio/Aria/Venazzo/Cosmo? Seems like it may be just a standard...? If a standard, would it really be much better?
    • Do other programs have similar freebies or events (mainly referring to things think the NYE concert, free spa access, free show tickets, equivalent of diamond lounge, annual retreat/DIA2 trip with paid airfare)?
    • I'm also a little concerned about offers not extending across all properties - the nice thing about TR is if I'm going with a bunch of buddies, I can book at a lower property, such as PH, and get a 4 bedroom suite; don't think I would be able to get that at Wynncore/Bellagio/Aria/Venazzo/Cosmo with my level of play...
    • Do offers at Wynncore/Venazzo extend to their international locations?
    Would appreciate any thoughts from people with experience at TR and a different program. Also, if anyone has any questions about TR that come up from reading my post, let me know and I can try to provide answer(s).

2. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is 7* and we had the same thoughts a few years ago. We went with Venetian/Palazzo for a few years when they stopped all comps to their mid level players and that left a real bad taste in our mouths. Palazzo is a great property and we were very loyal but that ended when they thought they would make it on their convention business. We just happened to have a return back to Caesars offer and decided to try them again, and are happy we did. Our main reason is we can go so many places;; we just had a long weekend in New Orleans (we are from Michigan), we love Tahoe, Caesars Windsor is great, and Vegas has been our go-to place for over 30 years. We have great hosts and like you get very nice suites. On the other end we are in our late 50's and aren't really in the shopping around category. We appreciate the 7* retreat, the diamond asp 2 and all of the extras. We also are not really fond of MGM properties but haven't stayed with them in years so our times were pre-city center. While some places may give us a bit more over-all they can't match the complete picture.................Rick

3. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't try to discourage you. While your play is solid, it's not whale level.
    If you switch to others, I am almost certain you won't get the same treatment/offers you have now. Not even close. Definitely MLife won't offer you Noir.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would consider Mlife. Then just go after Diamond at CET in the future. Rather easy to get Diamond and still have "some" of the perks.

Right now, I would consider giving Cosmo a try on the next trip. Do the offer match discussed elsewhere on this board and see.

5. jtx

jtx Tourist

Thank you for your thoughts and perspective. Helpful to hear that y'all didn't find the higher perks here and there to be enough, as it seems like we share the same thoughts about the completeness of the TR program.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I definitely don't think I'm close to being at the whale level. Makes sense that having nicer properties means higher play is required.

Yeah, I've thought about giving Cosmo a try. Doesn't seem like they are trying to attract table players though as they wouldn't match my table free play (though Kevin is on the slots side). What are your thoughts on Mlife? Do you echo JeJas's opinion that I would likely receive less attention in their program compared to TR at my level of play?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  6. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    coming from another 30 year old with similarge tastes...you're right where you want to be, with having a 7* card...
    although since you're strictly a wheel player you have to REALLY make sure the pit boss tracks your play accurately.

7. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 37 years old and I am CET 7 Stars and Mlife Platinum. I earned 1 million Mlife points last year but I doubt I was even close to becoming Noir. I easly made 7 Stars at CET, and I can tell you that CET has better perks.

The 7 Stars yearly trip and Diamond Aspiration II trip are great perks and you wont get anything like that from Mlife. I usually get a 2 bedroom Panaramic Suite at PH or a 2 bedroom Suite (X3) at Mandalay Bay. I am a 50% video poker/50% BJ player. BJ bets are from $200-700 a hand and video poker usually 10 play $2 ($100 a pop).

I play enough to maintain my levels at both MGM and CET. Its unlikely I will ever make Noir, but then again Noir doesn't really have anything that I need. I usually get a room at each corporation (CET and MGM) every time I go to Vegas to give a room to friends and to take advantage of 2 offers. The perks at CET are way better than MGM. There are more designated lines at valet, restaurants, check in, etc.

I used to love the MGM Platinum perks of free Shark Reef and Secret Garden, but now they made that difficult and it leaves Platinum worth even less to me. Also club access with Platinum is not so great. Hakkassan does nothing for me with a Platinum card, but Omnia at Caesars is awesome with 7 Stars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jtx

jtx Tourist

Have you tried other programs? If so, what are your thoughts on comparison?

I always talk to the pit boss after every session and recommend every table player do the same. It can seem a bit strange at first, but almost every pit boss I've talked to has had no issue with discussing and modifying. I have had no issues at Caesars and 1 or 2 pushbacks at PH. The dealer can be your friend in these cases, especially if you've been tipping.

9. Ally Vegas

Ally Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would stick with CET. Mlife is the only other company I know of, that has properties outside of Vegas, but you don't get offers outside often, if at all. Also, outside of "teaser" offers they likely won't pursue you as a player if you're not putting in at least 4 hours gambling a day. The perks of 7* status exceed any published perks of other loyalty programs.

If you were serious about a switch, I'd suggest halfing your bet per hand and doubling your hours.

10. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The grass always seems greener elsewhere but unless something changes 7 stars CET offers more than you can get anywhere else. We have taken advantage of being 7 stars for the last 5 years. Although the program is getting a little watered down because it is getting easier and easier with the bonuses etc to achieve 7 star level and they have been chipping away at the perks due to this and the fact that they have been navigating their way through bankruptcy. I wish they would go back to the way the program was when the bar to make 7 star was a little higher and the perks were better. Be interesting to see what happens once they finally get through bankruptcy and how many of their assets they are forced to sell between now and then.

11. jtx

jtx Tourist

Thank you for sharing, very helpful. Do you mind me asking how do your offers and backends differ, if at all, between the two? Seems like TR gives more tangible and useful perks / comps upfront, whereas with Mlife you will need to play for the equivalent treatment.

12. jtx

jtx Tourist

Yeah, the extension of offers to all properties is a major selling point for us with TR.

Can you clarify your thoughts on play? Wouldn't the theo calculation come out to be the same, and in theory you should receive the same offers and backends? Or is there some kind of weighting towards more hours?

13. jtx

jtx Tourist

What are the biggest perks you've seen go away? Were they tangible, hard dollar perks? I'm worried the dollar amounts associated with the annual retreat, DIA2 trip, celebration dinners, etc will come down as those are instant cash savings if they decide to get lean. Seems like they are currently trying to acquire players while bringing down the cost to serve as more come on.

14. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not the best person to answer this because I rarely ask for backend comps. MGM has been really good about giving me a resort credit upfront. Mandalay Bay has given me up to $1200 (but normally about $500) resort credit which more than covers everything. I am not a big food person and more than 75% of my meals are quick style.

With CET I have a high enough reward credit balance that I also do not ask for backend comps. I play at my local Harrahs on 10X points days and I also have $500 gift cards remaining from a few years ago when they used to hand them out to 7 Stars players. When they started using tier multipliers, that was one of the first perks they got rid of. CET also doesn't like to comp backend if you have available reward credits so I don't even bother asking because I've never ran out of them..

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are a couple of examples of how 7 star perks have diminished over the past few years. Several years back when it took 100,000 tc's to reach 7 star they had levels of experiences you could reach that were much more valuable than they are now. I think either the 1st or 2nd year we hit 7 star we made it past the first level of 125,000 tc's and we received a trip to Tunica with airfare paid, accommodations for 4 people, tickets to a Memphis Grizzly basketball game in their Suite with open bar and food along with limo transfer to and from, dinner in the Wine Cellar. They also gave all of us free Memphis Grizzly BB memorabilia. The dinner at the Wine Cellar was one of the best dinners my wife or I have ever had and the cost for 4 of us if we would have had to pay for it would have easily been close to $1000 by itself.

A couple of years ago for one of the 7 star events was an all expenses paid cruise with several times and ports to choose from. Other than the airfare they paid for everything. Unlike the current 7 star cruises that do not include the taxes, fees, and gratuities, for this particular event they paid for all of that and threw in an unlimited beverage package and dinner package. This was back before NCL started making the UBP available to everyone if they booked with them. Of the roughly 1200 passengers on this cruise, there were about 500 of us on this cruise. We had a blast and will always remember it as one of the best perks we have received from CET. Sadly, the following year this particular event was done away with.

Until two years ago we used to get a 7 star gift. We had several things to choose from and they would UPS it to our house. We used to look forward every year to getting a piece of Samsonite luggage. Now they have a 7 star renewal party at your home property you have to attend that comes with a below average dinner to pick up your gift. If you can't make it or if you don't have a need for the particular gift you are out of luck. We were not able to make it last year and this year we went and picked up a laptop that is still in the box that we will probably end up selling on eBay.

These are just some examples and I am sure others will chime in on changes that they have noticed as well.

16. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But on the other hand they have now given asp 2 level airfare ($750) and though it isn't worth a lot the asp 1; 4 nights and $100 credit. While the trip to Tunica is great, and wish we could have had that type of trip there are a few things they have added since making the points 150k. Also the 5,000 points per aspiration tier level reached is nice. We have only been 7* for a few years but we are satisfied and like I said there are some nice benefits and some were taken away (agree on the gift). Just hope they come out of bankruptcy stronger than they were...........Rick

17. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jtx -

What's your typical bankroll per trip? Money tends to go quick at roulette and the bank roll will give us a better idea of comps to expect.

18. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 2c: I am Pearl Mlife based on last trip and starting level for CET. Last trip in Oct I no-played CET and played about $50k coin-in on VP at Aria. My offers from Mlife are pretty sad and I have more free room days from CET.

19. jrp227

jrp227 Formerly KingJasonSlots on YT :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CET lured me in because of Tahoe. I love the free season pass, 4 lift tickets yearly, and the plenty mentioned retreat/trips. It's nice to get those fringe offers to go to Nola or SoCal, on top of the regular 7star benefits. When it comes to Vegas, I typically just give CET away to friends and try to double dip and stay at Cosmo or Wynn, where id much rather be. Maybe you can drop in to one of the places that interests you and just get some teasers and feel out what you like best. Cosmo is especially generous it seems, in matching your best CET offer if you are new of hadn't stayed in a bit of time....

20. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 220,000 TC on my Total Rewards account that expire in November this year. I never go to CET properties but does anyone know what I can get with those points? Can you convert to FP or for a dinner?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.