1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coin in question

Discussion in 'Comps' started by zNaturaL, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Just sitting at the airport leaving Vegas and had a quick question if anyone could help.

My tax info on MLIFE says I had $66,000 coin in at MGM. If I'm doing my math right that would make my theo around $7,200 assuming an 11% hold. Is that the correct way to calculate that?

Also I had an executive king suite, $200 fp and $300 rc for the trip. Would I expect that offer to improve based on my play this trip?

At 25% of my theo I should basically get $1800 in comps, right?

Thanks all!

2. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always heard $80 of theo per $1000 coin in on slots. So your theo seems a bit high. Do you have a host? You can email him/her and get your exact number. And yes I think your freeplay/RC will improve with that coin in - assuming this was a three day trip ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.

Depends on how that coin-in and theo, on an average-per-night basis, compares to your previous trips. Without knowing the length of your stay, it's hard to say, but if it was a 3 night trip, I'd say your offer should improve. I got an offer for an Executive King for 3 nights based on about $6k/night coin-in on a prior trip.

Maybe either the Executive King for 4 nights instead of 3, or a One Bedroom or Spa Suite instead. And maybe more freeplay and/or resort credit. As far as the room, after you get up to a One Bedroom or a Spa Suite, it's a pretty big jump from there up to the next room type.

$1,800 is 25% of $7,200. I would tend to be a little more conservative and use 20% ($1,440). Subtract the value of the room, freeplay, and resort credit, and the result is what you might have been able to get in back-end if you had any charges.

4. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where did you pull 11% from? Is all the coin-in on penny slots, VP or other denominations because they are all rated differently with VP being the worst and I think penny slots the best.

5. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was a 3 night trip. Thanks for the long explanation and putting time into your response! I figured the same about the room, but a one bedroom or spa suite would still be nice next time!

The 11% was just a random guess by me. Most of my play was on penny slots, with some dollars, $5 and $10 mixed in...

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    11% is a reasonable number to use for estimating theo for pennies on the strip. The NGC report for all of 2015 put the hold at 11.68%

On the other hand, I did a measured session at Palazzo once, and a nickel machine was set to 12.5%. So I suspect a lot of penny slots are higher than 11%.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $22k a night is a significant amount of play. I have a sense that MLife may be changing how they cycle their offers, I'm not completely sure if they are going to continue doing property-specific offers, although I don;t yet have any reason to believe they won't, I don;t have any new ones. The most recent one I have from MGM runs through October. Depending on that cycle, it may be a few months before you get an offer that reflects your recent trip. Sooner than that, if you start getting emails with offers for specific events like concerts or slot tourneys, the info in those emails regarding room type and length of stay may tip you off as to how you have been re-rated in their system.

The re-rating itself shouldn't take that long. So if you were to call in a month or two and ask what you could get for a room and length of stay, you might find it's higher than before. But they wouldn't be able to give you any throw ins like freeplay and resort credit until an actual offer is generated and posted.

The more I think about it, the more I think you should have a juicy next offer from MGM Grand. So until you get it, don't do anything to mess up your ADT.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spoke with my host and I made reservations for a 3 night trip later this summer. $600 food, $400 fp and some sort of suite above the executive king for 3 nights (he didn't say what room, just better than my last stay). Not really sure of rooms above executive king suite. Any idea?

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Higher than Executive King:

Tower Spa
    Tower One Bedroom
    City View
    Penthouse City View
    Skyline Marquee (2 bedroom)
    Skyline Terrace

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you mixed in a bit of $1, $5, $10 play, then I would use 10% or possibly less depending on how much coin-in you got on those. High limit slots hold closer to 5% than 11%.

Also according to this, "The Walking Dead" only holds 11.5% at the most (which I'm sure MGM used). So if a lot of your play was on that, 11% hold is likely a bit high for your overall play.

http://slotfanatics.com/showthread.php?76-Slot-Machine-Payout-Percentages-Here-They-Are

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  11. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting information. Thanks for posting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.