1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Girl's Names That Are Out Of Style

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm a 50's kid and i'm a Debra. I hated it growing up.

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cathy, Betty, Mary, Jane, Susan. I hardly hear anyone naming their little girls those names anymore.

Nowadays I can't even pronounce some of the girl names. The other day my nephew's wife gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl. First name is Kye. Pronounced "Kai".

What, Kai is not good enough so you have to spell it Kye? Sounds like Kee to me.

Whatever....:rolleyes2:

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom's mom was a Mabel. And my mom's name is Alice, another name that isn't nearly as popular as it used to be (but both apparently making a comeback). And my dad's mom was also named Alice...creepy.

My name Doug(las) has dropped from 62nd to 618th in my lifetime and mostly keeps falling. Alice actually has re-cracked the top 100 since 2014, 49th when mom was born, 87th now. Mabel recracked the top 1000 for the first time since 1964 in 2013, 578th now, was 24th when grandma was born. Did the Disney cartoon "Gravity Falls" have that much influence on naming girls Mabel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Falls

4. Alexander

Alexander MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To bigdog, *Cough Naomi Campbell and Naomi Judd*cough, ;)

5. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to school with a girl named Phyllis Irene, but everyone called her Sally. Years later, her dad was in our store and I asked him the back story. They had named her after her two grandmothers. Neither parent liked the name and the dad said he told his wife "I don't know what you are going to do, but I'm calling her Sally." 59 years later, she's still Sally.

6. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josephine is pretty old school, that was my mother's name. I had a date with a Philomena once, that's pretty old school. The only other Philomena I ever personally met was an ex-girlfriend's mother.

7. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And Naomi Watts!! :)

8. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Electro..........your right about those names...... we named our daughter Mary she is now 24 and she was the only girl by that name all through her school days.......Thought Mary was a classically beautiful name then and still is now..........imo

9. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm definitely partial to Mary. It's actually TheBear's name. Mary Jane, to be precise.

10. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take care of newborn babies, have probably probably taken car of thousands of them. For a while I had to give up on asking their baby's name for fear of having a visible reaction! I am good at the neutral, flat face but depending on my mood I may not have it in me to do so. One of my favorites was from about 17 years ago. Me: "what is your baby's name?" Patient: "Her name is Seven" (my visual spelling) then she spells it out "s-e-v-Y-n!":blah:

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was crazy in love with a Mary Beth. She had it all, looks, brains, great personality, not to mention good paying job. I don't know how that one slipped away.

12. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be worse, could be "Se7yn"

13. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Mom was an Eileen, I had Aunt's named Merle, Hazel, Dora, Jean and Margaret. My sister is a Heather and I am a Cindy (Cynthia)

14. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course in the South, girls used to always use their middle names along with their first names. Betty Jo, Mary Sue, Patty Lynn etc. Not so much now however.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  15. Vegas6821

Vegas6821 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget about good old CONNIE and BARBARA.

16. eloisegirl

eloisegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i had an aunt mildred. wonderful woman, but that name did no justice to her beautiful soul.

17. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

My name is Nancy-hardly ever hear that anymore unless you run into someone my age (73). My mom's name was Stella which has had a resurgence in recent years and some of my aunt's names were Veronica, Celestine, Genevieve, Josephine, Jean and Loretta.

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who could forget Dolores?

19. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born during Hurricane Carla. Many girls were named Carla. My mom wanted something different and decided on Valerie-- Has never been a popular name. I am grateful I wasn't named after my Grandmother -- Myrtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always think of Emma as old-fashioned, I had a late great aunt by that name, but it's all over the map on HufPo. Mabel is definitely out of style. I had an aunt named Mae but it was just Mae, not short for anything. I think she was named for Mae West. :) Ditto with Hazel, you never hear that anymore. Lotsa "B names" seem to be rare anymore, Beulah, Bertha (reputation for being fat!) :) even Brenda and Barbara you don't see that much lately. Ethel most definitely sounds dated.

They say (the ubiquitous "they") that a surname is an appropriate name for a child of either gender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.