1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Children's Name That Are In Style

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ExVegasLocal, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread about names no longer popular. But it got me thinking about the idiotic names that I hear these days.

For boys, it is evidently chic to name them after items found at landscaping supply or home remodeling outlets. Names such as Brick, Rock, Stone, and Slate come to mind.

For girls, the idea is to name them after old presidents. Names such as Madison, Kennedy, and Taylor come to mind. (I do hope nobody names their poor girl child "Bush".)

And for a few very unlucky children, it has evidently become chic to name them after cities. These names used to be reserved for only for Golden Retrievers, but now it's perfectly acceptable to name your child Aspen, Denver, or Dallas. (I'm not making "Aspen" up. I just heard a parent refer to a child with that name very recently.)

Kill me now.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a friend in high school who married a military-kid. All his siblings were named after the city they were living in at the time. He was Everett. There was also a Dallas and a Madison. I forget the rest. IIRC, there were 6 kids in the family.

The ones that make me shake my head are the oddly spelled names. The one that comes to mind is Staycee.

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the name Madison for a girl.

The ones I hate are the odd ones celebrities seem to favour - Apple, Bear Blu, Blue Ivy, North West etc. Good thing they are children of celebrities as in the real world their parents would have set them up for an ass kicking in the school yard.

4. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Madison = stripper name

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most modern names tilt me very badly. And I would never give a child an alternate spelling unless it was truly established as a near 50/50 split between the 2 versions, and even then it sorta sucks because you have to say things like "Brandi with an i". I forget how often my ex said that...lol...but I'm sure she did sometimes. An alternate spelling doesn't make you "unique", it just leads to the misspelling of your name and sometimes brings the intelligence of you and your parents into question.

6. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's been popular here recently are old names such as: Henry, Jack, Hazel, Lucy. Violet. It's just hard to look at that sweet little face and call the kid Hazel or Henry....JMO

7. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

8. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the old names coming back are easier to imagine for a baby; Emily is an old name that is popular again. Beautiful name.

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Few years back every kid was either Tyler or Caitlin

10. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw a funny remark on this not too long ago, something like "It's very unsettling to meet a baby with a grown man's name. No I don't want to hold Grant, but he can look over my investment portfolio for me."

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just the opposite here. My wife is Jody with a Y and everybody wants to spell it with a "I"

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moon Unit Zappa.

Just thinking of a few of my grade school classmates - Francis, Eugene, Robert, Henry. Loretta, Suzanne, Laverne, Ella.

13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Appliance names were popular a few years back.
    The "misspelling" is always popular
    Caitlin was a BIGGY ( electroguy hit that right ! )
    I'm sorry but ............I have to say this.......
    I could be harsher........ but please stop !...........with Zoe or Zoey.
    If your kid has this name ?.......you were "on the cusp".......but it's played, now.
    Sorry !........it's just too trendy......overworked .......I'll stop here.....and new parents should,too.

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Older names are coming back. Family names are popular. There are 10 or 20 names at a given time that are really popular but because people want to be unique, people are trying to find things that won't be repeated.

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never understood why people would name their child a trendy name. They are individuals and precious so right out of the chute they want to call them what every other kid is called. of course crazy names just haunt the kids their whole life so I am not for that either.

That or a common name with an odd spelling. I have a coworker Liza, pronounced Lisa. come on, that just screws everyone up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since every generation garners in a new trend in naming babies,
    I think the next generation of Vegas babies should have initials instead of full names:
    BJ
    VP
    WOF
    LIR
    TD

plus it costs less for monograms

17. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any variation of "aiden" was really popular when my group was in hatching youngins' (Aiden, Cayden, Jayden, etc)
    I always wanted to have a kid and name him "Fuck"...so every day in school, his teacher, would have to say "Fuck" at least once, LOL.

18. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's funny eddie. I know a Leesa, pronounced Leeza. What's the world coming too?!

Checking a 20ish relative's facebook page, I see friends named...(all great names for today's generation, I'm just thinking out loud :) )

Kale - vegetarian parents I presume
    Cason
    Blaze - firefighter parent?
    Oak - must be named by a landscaper
    Keiran
    Tristan - loves crackers
    Shayanne
    Skylar
    Jasmin, Jazzy, and Arial - named after Disney movies
    Tiara - an emotional father when he named his little princess
    Talon - an emotional father when he named his son, hoping he'll keep an eye out for Tiara's well being
    Forrest - the landscapers 2nd son? He was more successful by then and chose grander names?

And those that like optional spelling...Aimee, Mackailyn, Braeden, Ryein.

Ryein? Really!!? Makes Edith and Jane and Ryan look so simple.

19. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aiden is a popular hero name for romance novels and soap opera type characters. Jayden came into being when was the name Data on Star Trek Next Generation was given when he had amnesia. A few celebrities gave that name to their kids and it took off. I hate it when people who weren't fans after STNG use that name. Same for Emma, which was the name of Ross and Rachel's daughter on Friends. It took off and has been pretty popular since.

20. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another "older" name that became popular again for girls born around 2005 is Sophia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.