1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Hotels with Free pool Chairs and Umbrellas?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by TechGromit, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechGromit

TechGromit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello,

I will be traveling to Las Vegas for a conference In early August. My Wife will be coming with me, other than her plane ticket, her meals and things she rents, my company will be picking up the tap for the trip. The desert in August isn't my ideal vacation destination so I rather not spend any more money on "extras". I've been reading that Las Vegas hotels nickel and dime you to death with resort fees, chair rentals, umbrellas rentals, etc. The resort fees really don't bother me, since the company will be picking up the tab, but I can't expense pool chairs and umbrellas my Wife rents since I will be in meetings during that time. Are there any hotels that do not charge for pool chairs and/or Umbrellas? I was looking at one of the hotels like the Luxor or Excalibur, but if they are going to charge for every little thing, I rather stay at a Motel 6 than a luxury hotel that will cost an arm and leg charging me for extras.

Also I was wondering if your allowed to bring your own chair and umbrella in the hotel pool area, I can pick up a beach chair for $20 and a portable umbrella for under $50 at Walmart, rather buy them, use them and leave them there instead of paying outrageous prices for something that should be part of the hotel room charges.

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never been charged for a chair at any standard hotel pool on the Strip

I Need Spa
  3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hotels charge for premium seats at the pool. They all have plenty of free chairs. It's just that the free seats fill up early so people are willing to pay to reserve a seat. You can't bring an umbrella to the pool. It can get windy in the desert and no one wants your $20 umbrella becoming a projectile. You're reading too much about nickels and dimes. It's not that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you want a cabana or a daybed, there is no charge for a chair or umbrella. It just depends on the particular hotel how many umbrellas there are and whether you can find a chair next to one. When it's busy, it might be hard for people to find chairs together, but if your wife is by herself she shouldn't have too much trouble finding a chair.

5. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chair is mostly free and easy. Umbrella is the tough part. But, luckily, due to high buildings around Vegas pools, some part of the pool area will always be in shade. So, your wife can keep moving around following the shade.

I also hear that NYNY pool and Linq pool are the ones that get the most shade due to the way pool area is placed. Haven't stayed at those hotels though.

6. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 best hotel pools my wife has enjoyed are Aria and Monte Carlo when we have gone due to the shade availability as the day goes on.

Earlier is better to get a better location with the free chairs.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where is the location of your conference?

8. Fpsphil

Fpsphil Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vdara pool has tons of umbrellas, never had an issue getting a chair with an umbrella there

9. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to be curious, but if you have to pay your wife's flight and meals yourself, I wonder which tap your company will be picking up then? Since your hotel room is covered already, no matter if you stay with 1 or 2 persons in the room. I can't imagine what other costs are involved for your wife that your company will pay for?

As for the pools, no worries about chairs etc, they are available without fees. I did enjoy the pool at Monte Carlo very much (enough shade as well) and at the Flamingo it was nice too (also enough chairs and shade).

Main thing I think is where the conference is located and if you are free in choice of hotel?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9305 met Tapatalk

10. TechGromit

TechGromit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My flight, hotel room, my meals and taxi fares. Figuring $100 a day meals for one person, I'm still looking at a $600 bill for my Wife to come with me.

The BlackHat conference at Mandalay Bay, There are no hotel rooms not available at Mandalay bay for the days I want to go, I looked into New York, New York, but my company doesn't allow stays as some hotels and that's one of the restricted hotels. Looking into the feasibility of getting a hotel farther north on the strip and taking a taxi/monorail to commute to the training/conference each day. Classes start at 9am every day.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Luxor or Excalibur? These are connected to M-Bay via a monorail. I know the Excalibur gets lots of dings, my only beef is the lingering odor of carpet cleaning chemicals and smoke, but I enjoyed the pool area. Tropicana? MGM?

Is there any way to post a few of the allowable hotels you're considering and others may chime in? The Vdara has a small pool, but its very quiet and usually a great deal.

12. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah ok, I misunderstood that totally. I thought you meant other than her plane ticket, meals and rents, your company will be picking up the tap for your wife's trip. But you meant your company is paying for the trip, but not for the expenses of your wife. Sorry I made that confusing!

Between MB and NYNY, you also have Luxor and Excalibur. I never stayed at either one, so I can't tell you if I think they are good or not. And I also don't know about their pool area. But both location are good to reach from MB, as they are all on the west side of the Strip and there is even a free monorail between the 3 hotels.
    If those are not possible or wanted, one hotel further of NYNY is Monte Carlo. As far as I know, this is the least expensive 4-star resort and on a perfect location on the Strip. Right in the middle and with everything at "walking distance" (depending on how much you want to and are able to walk of course, but if you can, I would strongly recommend you to take a walk on the Strip - in the area of Bellagio, Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood, Paris, Flamingo - in the evenings, cause you'll experience Vegas from a totally different and wonderful side, than when you go everywhere with transport). There is also a free monorail going from the Monte Carlo via City Center and Crystals to Bellagio, so that is very conveniënt and cost saving. And the pool at MC is great too. I love MC and will go back there later this year to stay there for the fourth time.

Mandalay Bay is on the west side of the Strip and the big monorail (the one you have to pay for and which you are most likely referring to) is on the east side of the Strip. In that sence it's not very conveniënt to use the monorail to commute to MB. If taking a taxi to the conference is covered by your company and not an issue, I would pick a hotel/location which is most enjoyable for your wife to spend time at during the day. For me that means one of the hotels I earlier mentioned: Bellagio, Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood, Paris and Flamingo, because they are all great (within their own price range) and all right next to each other. All have great pools too. But Monte Carlo is perfect too, as you can take the free monorail to Bellagio and from there walk over to the other places right next door.

Where ever you end up at (and please let us know!), I wish you and your wife have a wonderful time in our beloved Las Vegas!

13. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MGM has a great pool complex and it is a short cab or Uber to MBay.
    You will not pay for chairs anywhere unless you decide to step up to a club.
    Getting to the pool early will give her better chance of an umbrella and table.Tipping the pool attendant should also help.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first choice is to get a hotel room as close to the convention as possible. You will have breaks or downtime and may want to meet up with her for a bit. Taxi or monorail will not help much. I find it strange that NYNY is "restricted" as that is part of the same corporation as MB (MGM). I would keep trying for rooms at MB, but next choice would be Luxor or Excal.

Even if you have to spend some money for your wife, it still makes for an inexpensive trip vs going on your own. Always, always take care of your wife. I would never leave her to hang out in a Motel6 for the day while I am in a meeting. Bad idea.

Whatever you book, make sure you can cancel it. MBay might open up some rooms later. Right now they only show Aug 2 & 3 sold out. Same at Delano (part of MB)

15. TechGromit

TechGromit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tropicana is on the allowed list, it's just across the street from the Excalibur, I looked to a satellite shot of the hotel, there's some kind of skybridge that cuts across the pool area, there should be plenty of shade from that alone. I don't know why some hotels are restricted and others or not. If company had offices in the same city that had a hotel chain, I would think it's some kind of deal they worked out with the hotel chain. But there are no Tropicana hotels anywhere near any of our companies locations, no MGM's either. Not sure why one is allowed and the other not.

16. TechGromit

TechGromit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see the common thread now for Tropicana, it's associated with Double-tree hotels which is a Hilton hotel chain. Actually it works out great for me, I should earn Hilton points staying there.

There's an AMPM gas station next door, does anyone know if AMPM convenience stores sell cases of water, even small 6 packs? It's considerably closer then the Walgreens up the street.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can not get into MB, Tropicana should work fine. You can cross the street and catch the slow monorail thing down to MBay. Wife has options to wander over to MGM and of course walk through Excal and Luxor down to Mbay to meet up with you.

I would still suggest watching MBay for rooms to open up. From someone that has attended way too many conferences or conventions, I would happily give up Hilton points to stay in the same hotel as the conference.

As to hotels - depending on your company, their approved/negotiated list probably comes through a travel agent/company. As to why for MBay and not NYNY - hard to say. Might have something to do with the extensive conference facilties at MBay - or even goes back years when they were not part of MGM.

18. TechGromit

TechGromit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For clarification, there is no availability at Mandalay Bay, so i didn't even get far enough to see if the hotel was on the restricted list or not. Probably is, since other MGM properties are.

19. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay at the Tropicana. They have a nice pool area. You can easily get to MB. The gas station will carry water.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.