1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Raiding the Rock Vault

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by zmantx, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmantx

zmantx Tourist

Getting ready for my May visit (30 days!). I'll have three nights and we're trying to finalize which shows to see. I think Absinthe is on the list. Trying to decide about Raiding the Rock Vault. I saw Rock of Ages on my last trip in December and loved it. Is Raiding comparable to that show?

Thanks!

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Raiding the Rock Vault is more a concert experience than Rock of Ages; there's a bit of a "storyline" to tie it together but it is secondary. I preferred RTRV. Going to see it again in May. Check Goldstar, Groupon, Travelzoo for tickets; they are always discounted somewhere.

3. zmantx

zmantx Tourist

Thanks! Found discount tickets on Groupon. Looking forward to the show. :beer:

4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not technically comparable to Rock of Ages, because Rock of Ages is a jukebox musical (ie there's some plot that supposed to be going on), while Raiding is basically just doing straight up covers, with some stills and video displayed on screens in back.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I wouldn't go see it again. They had a couple of younger cast members who had some energy, but a couple of the older front men, well, the posing and moves bordered on Spinal Tap a couple of times, I was covering my eyes. If you're going to put on the spangly outfit, you can't then go out there and shuffle around like you need a walker without looking ridiculous.

There was nothing wrong with any of the musicianship. It appears they rotate several of the cast members, maybe just an off night or maybe my expectations were out of line.

If you're still going to shows or have been to an arena show in the past 5 or 10 years by an older band like Aerosmith or AC/DC who can still pull it off, or a U2, it might be too early for you to go see this.

5. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will certainly go see this.
    I already sawsome veeds of it on fb and it looked great.
    As a huge 80 s musicand rock fan i know i wont be dissapointed.
    Unfortunately groupon doesnt work for me but i know almost for certain i almost get the same gooddeal( will do the little betterprivilidged seats for the same price as reg at tix4 tonite-> already checked this out)

6. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are definitely in the minority on this as RTRV has won several Best in Vegas awards. You must have hit it on a bad night or when many of the regular cast weren't performing. Doug Aldrich rotates in and out.

7. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw RTRV twice with two different groups of people and everyone had a great time.
    Very enjoyable and a great value for two hours of entertainment.

8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Raiding the Rock Vault is AWESOME and you won't regret it.

But yeah, it is more a collection of great musicians than a coherent show. There is a little bit of narrative/sketch stuff but it is mainly filler while they set up for the next song.

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, he is in the minority in not enjoying it. He is not wrong that the older singers are somewhat past their prime and one of them a little off, but they can still sing, and the rest of the band are great, and the two younger singers are great too.

10. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only complaint is that it wasn't quite energetic enough for me. Maybe because i've seen a heck of a lot of bands in my time, I expected a bit more in terms of the performance and maybe even the sound. It wasn't bad, but for me it was only good at best. If you're a huge fan of the music or maybe haven't been to so many gigs before, you'll probably enjoy it more than I did - that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I did and I thought it was worth the money too, I perhaps just expected more. Sadly I ddnt get to see Doug Aldrich, I really like him and had hoped he would have been there. Luckily for me, i've seen Whitesnake before.

11. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad you've missed Doug's performance. I've been lucky and he has always been with the group each time I've attended the performance. His young son always joins them for a song.

[​IMG]

12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw RTRV on April 9 and loved it. We used this link for discounted tickets.

I do understand about the aging rockers, though. The only one that was a little TOO stiff was Paul Shortino (from Rough Cutt and Quiet Riot). He sang Aerosmith's Dream On, and he couldn't have been LESS Steven Tyler...

Two performers stood out... Tracii Guns nailed every guitar solo he attempted, and Andrew Freeman (from The Offspring) nailed the vocals the best. This is definitely a concert(ish) activity I'd do again.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  13. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love this show. Have seen it 4 times and will see it again in July!

14. zmantx

zmantx Tourist

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking forward to seeing the show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had one 'empty' night on our roster for our trip next week - Lionel Richie Wednesday, Terry Fator Thursday, and Friday open....We were leaning to RTRV but I wanted to come on and see some recommendations here...Well, decision made after reading all the comments.... Going to go the TravelZoo route assuming I can be assured of a spot for Friday night's show.

Thanks to all those who commented!

16. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh i've not yet seen his young son perform yet! so adorable
    back when they were at the LVH, I got to get up on stage with Doug , during the last song (JUMP by Van Halen) and he handed me his pick , held up his guitar and I strummed the heck out of it lol

I adore RTRV its an amazing show , I'll be going again in August to take in Show #4

lol That the show references a bit of Spinal Tap, as Ironically, Paul Shortino , who is one of the lead vocalists, was in Spinal Tap, as Duke Fame

17. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:

I hope you get to see Doug's son perform in August Diva. He has performed every time I've attended, always at Trop; I never saw the show at LVH. We are going again in May with a group who haven't seen the show. Had a nice chat with Sir Harry, the producer, before the show last time we went and had photos taken with him. He also took photos of my friend and I. Really nice guy.

18. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've met Sir Harry , too! he is very nice Have you heard of their show in Branson Mo now Raiding the Country Rock Vault>
    I had a beer with Doug and his wife after the 3rd time I saw the show along with one of the ladies (dancers) in the show (April 2015) such down to earth folks
    I just booked another trip for August seeing Rod Stewart and Jackson Browne , and of course RV :)
    You have a marvelous time in May , always fun to take the newbies!
    lol you should have done a Raiding the Rock Vault wedding vow renewal , with Paul Shortino officiating! (Yes , its a real thing)

19. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We considered doing that Diva but the last time we brought a big group to Vegas was for my hubby's 50th almost 2 years ago and my host at Trop arranged for everyone to stayed there so we decided the repeat guests needed a different venue and a cheesy Elvis vow renewal just screams Vegas!

How awesome you had the chance to lift a brew with Doug and his bride. His son must perform for you now!!

20. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.