1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm getting tired of tests and procedures -- Wellness exams, etc....

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know you are getting old when you are constantly scheduling exams and tests -- and you are not even ill or injured. Just recently I've had all my labs done including Lipid panel and thyroid etc, a dental cleaning, my eye exam... I'm 54 years old. I am sure my doctor has a big NON-COMPLIANT stamped on the front of my chart. :nono:
    --
    I only see him under duress. I'm a nurse in a small town - so we all know each other in our community. At my last wellness health physical he asked if I ever did get that colonoscopy I was supposed to get when I turned 50 - 4 years ago.-- "Of course not -- I'm a nurse" I reminded him. I then threw under the bus about 3 other nurses my same age that are his patients that are just as bad as me. :evillaugh I figure I don't go down alone. One of my nurse friends has already thanked me.

So today I had the dreaded mammogram "titti squisher" exam -- I am sure this was invented by a man. -- I actually wonder if the same results cannot be obtained with an MRI? And if it could would it be economically feasible -- would put a lot of radiology/techs out of work in that specialty. But it would sure ease the pain.

Next month after my Vegas trip I am scheduled for the next best thing to a Vegas trip -- a colonoscopy -- not. At least the prep has changed and you don't have to drink an entire gallon of Golytle. If you have never seen Jeff Foxworthy's stand up routine where he talks about his colonoscopy you definitely have to see it.

Someone pass me the Grapenuts and Geritol.

2. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you.
    It irks me that my doctor makes me schedule a separate appointment just to get refills for these meds he put me on.
    Am I not here enough already?
    I have to waste hours sitting in the Dr's office for a refill???:rolleyes2:

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just scheduled mine this morning, as a matter of fact. Physical, mammo and eye exam. I'm 52, and just keep pretending I don't see all the nag letters I get from my clinic about the colonoscopy I'm supposed to have.

Hey, I just went to get braces today. Isn't that enough torture. I went with the Invisalign. They warned me about the lisping, but no one said anything about the spitting. Should make meetings at work interesting :)

Wow, 6 days out for you. Have an awesome trip!

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, be happy that you have big enough titties to squish. I have some Asian female friends, they don't have much on top so some tell me it is very painful to get a mammogram.

I'm still hesitant to get my first colonoscopy (I'm 58) and am trying to avoid it but I think I will probably get one by the time I'm 60. I'm diabetic so I visit my endocrinologist every 6 months where he always asks for a blood test.

I wish that I could get some tests, my dad had a history of heart problems and died when he was 74 (after numerous heart attacks and bypasses and triple bypasses). I wanted a treadmill test to determine how blocked my arteries were (esp since I live by myself and eat out a lot) but my dr said that I couldn't get one unless I had symptoms of a blockage. Too bad, I would rather find out before I had the problem (preventive maintenance), by the time start to show symptoms it will be too late to prevent damage.

But luckily I'm a guy so I don't have to go through all the tests you women have to go through.

I'm looking at retiring in the next 3 years so I want to get my medical tests done before then (I can use the company medical plan, after that I may have to pay for some of it). Colonoscopy, sleep apnea test and some other things I can't remember I want to do before I retire.

Yeah, it sucks to get old, more aches and pains too. I love the idea of retiring and cruising after so many years working but then I'm starting to have all the old age symptoms so hard to enjoy retirement with all the medical issues coming up.

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costco Pharmacy contacts doctor on my behalf for refills by fax. Works like a charm. I call in to their automated number thingy and its all arranged in about a minute.

6. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you guys mean. I am having a colonoscopy on Thursday. The only upside is that I will probably have a good weigh in at Weight Watchers this week! Seriously, though, go get the tests you need. Do what you can to be healthy. I just read Younger Next Year and Thinner This Year and really want to get with this health thing. I don't want to hobble around any more than I already do, from plantar fasciitis and degenerative discs, so I'm still gonna have my wine and a few beers and a few more in Vegas, but in between, I'm having these damned tests and TRYING to take better care of myself.

7. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you will not feel a thing with a colonoscopy. Just a pain in the ass to get. Worst part is drinking that shit they give you to clean out before. Had my one. and I am done. Doc says every 10 years. Ha Ha. I am 68 and will probably be dead or have a new doc by then

8. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally got my colonoscopy done a few years ago. My insurance at that time covered it 100%....right up until they found a polyp or three...then it changed from a covered preventive procedure to an operation that is subject to the deductible. I was put under owing 0.00 and woke up, farting and owing around $2200.00 Needless to say I have not had another one, even though they removed some suspect polyps.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May be the best line around here in some time! :nworthy:

10. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya, I never thought about that but just cringed when I read it. Just goes to show you, no matter how bad we think we have it, someone else is always worse off.

11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    why do you think that is? he gets $$$$

back to the original topic.....

had the blood and piss test last week.... and my annual physical this afternoon...

all good except for low vitamin D...i told the doc probably 90% of the people north of the mason/dixon line have it....

so, between the prostate exam and my taxes today i got my ass reamed twice......:eek:

12. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The worst for me is trying to earn all the "incentive" points to keep the costs of my health plan as low as possible. Not saying they make it impossible to earn all the incentives but I am 20 points away from my goal and my remaining options are mammogram and pap smear :)

Annual me and Pete
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just had my first colonoscopy last year. All I remember was being wheeled into the examination room and just before I conked out I saw my doctor looking at me... and smiling.....:eek::evillaugh

14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I am under duress. My plan requires 1000 points earned on Simplywell.com -- last year I could get points by activities like eating fruits/vegetables, walking, etc. This year I can only get 250 points that way. I need to complete my Physician Engagement Form for 750 points. It requires 2 visits this year. He has to sign off saying we have discussed a plan of health and that I am compliant. I know my MD will hold me hostage. He did it once before. When we first started this Employee Wellness Program a few years ago we had to have our physician sign a physical form. He wouldn't sign mine because it had been a few years since my Pap Smear. I had never used him for that -- I had to see this man in the hallway of my hospital I work at. Needless to say I had to get up in the stirrups and spread em. So now I know he won't sign me off without my mammogram and colonoscopy.

The reason why I need a physician Engagement form is because I did not score an 85 on my health score. If I don't complete it this year. My insurance premiums will go up $$$$.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am supposed to get a baseline mammogram. But I used to work In a hospital so I saw the mammograms...and if you tried to squish my boobs like that it would take a loooong time. Haven't been able to do it. Never thought about the smaller ladies having an issue but yea, that sounds awful. At least I have good health insurance and don't have to do these activities you are talking about! I fund my FSA and show my card and that's it!

16. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You lucky kids.. I am 28 with MS. I max out my deductible by Feb. Now I am told I am lucky I am free minus prescriptions. Medical care is spendy and it is not getting cheaper.

17. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as a 14 year breast cancer survivor, i'm right on time with any thing breast related. no bc runs in my family.

however, colon cancer runs HIGH in my immediate family, and you'd think i would be all over the colonoscopy. Nope when i turned 50, my doctor told me to get it.
    i'm turning 60 in june, and still haven't done it. The prep scares the crap out of me (lol poor choice of words). even though my dad died of colon cancer 25 yrs ago, i remember how brutal the prep was.
    i know it's probably a little less brutal, but it's still enough where i just can't do it. I have a hair trigger gag reflex, so i know i can't do the prep.

i keep hoping eventually there will be a test that won't make me sick or grossed out.

..i've had mammo's since the 80's. back when you had to lie on the table and they brought the machine to you. i've had biopsies where i was hospitalized 3 days because i had a drain. so you'd think i wouldn't be a whiner.but i am.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bailed on my stress test today because I couldn't face the torture. I've had it with this shit. I'm going to Longhorn for a medium rare steak and a baked potato with extra butter. Then I'm coming home and smoking weed and drinking beer. Eff it all.

19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I have to have "supplemental" visits around a regular doctor's visit (labs, return for prescription renewal - though I do on the phone or online whenever I can) I am not charged a 2nd visit co-pay. So my doctor (or the practice or the health system) isn't getting any more money out of me or my insurance than they would from just a single visit....

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you,I'm the biggest procrastinator when it comes to all these tests and the sad thing is that my plan pays for them all. I'm definitely gonna have a few beers but I'll pass on the weed and have a nice cigar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.