1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trash bin

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Loverboy, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok I live in a condo nice area never problems ...we have a community trash bin that some rinky dink company picks that does the job...I looked out deck today and saw some one going through trash bin to get cans..I completely lost it drank my glass of wine went down and asked neighbor if he knew this fella he said yea and he's just looking for cans to cash in....I told this fine neighbor that I'm against this and to stop this ...

Was I wrong,??

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's great. Someone was removing a recyclable from the landfill and getting a little money. How does it hurt you? Was he loud, did he make a mess with the trash?

3. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK ....I kinda thought I would get this response ...I take it your a woman OK...We have a recyclable 100 foot away the screwball should go there and hit the jackpot on cans but no this screwball is in here cause he knows the other is off limits posted ....

My point is this isn't a garage sale just come on by and take what ya want...It's a tricking trash bin that me and 4 other people pay for...
    Point is stay out of my trash ....

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was a resident property manager, a homeless guy came into my office, called me ma'am and made a proposal. He said that he wanted to go through my trash bins for cans & bottles to return and in return he would clean around the dumpsters. He came by the property twice a week for 2 years and my trash area never looked better. Bonus, I didn't have to go out there and do it.

As long as the guy isn't making a mess or being disruptive, what's the harm?

5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have another glass of wine.

6. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well sorry that's what property management should have like we have here...Employees that keep place tidy not having someone say ma'am thanks it's clean now I'm gonna take all bottles and cans now

I guess I'm against this try going through a trash bin at your Kroger's or Meijers.. Ya wouldn't last long.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did thanks..

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does gender have to do with it?

If you have a sign on the recycle bins, why not put another on the trash? Problem solved! :)

8. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's my answer...Management said they will look into it...The dude does not even live on property that's my bif

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When my wife, then fiance, sold her house, we did the pre-move clean up and put out about 20 trash bags of stuff we didn't want to move with us. A young man started to open the bags and go through everything. He made quite a mess by the time I got out there to stop him. Turns out the guy was "slow". What can you do. Garbage is garbage. There is no expectation of privacy.

10. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Expectation of privacy was a good comment..

I just don't like what happened... Thanks

11. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't take your cans out to the garbage until the moment you hear the trucks coming.

It might be a bit of a race to the finish line, but problem solved.

:beer:

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The poor guy is trying to make a living and he has to dig through trash to do it, I'd give him a break. If he was leaving a mess that would be another matter.

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You must be living a pretty sheltered life... where I live there are a lot of apartment and condo buildings and all day long there are people going from building to building digging through the garbage bins looking for recyclables. Most are on foot with garbage bags, some ride bikes and others are pushing shopping carts... the building where I live probably has 8-10 people a day come around and check the bins.

If the garbage bins in your building are not in a locked/secured area then its probably been going on (people dumpster diving your trash) for a long time (years) and you just haven't noticed until now.

As far as being right or wrong: I would say you are wrong on two fronts.

First, if it is a community garbage bin in an unsecured area then you would have no expectation of privacy for your disposed of trash.

Secondly, you should look at the big picture: this is somebody who is poor, down on their luck, broke or whatever who is going through the garbage to find cans and bottles, and yes there is a chance the money they make is going to go towards drugs or alcohol... but for whatever the money is for they are going about getting it in an honest and legal way whereas instead they could be breaking to cars, burglarizing your apartment, mugging people, doing a home invasion, busting in your store room, stealing credit cards, etc - if they didn't have this income they would probably have to go about getting it another way.

The nearest recycling depot is only two blocks from where I live so its no chore to take my cans or beer bottles in, but instead I just store up my recyclables in grocery store bags and then when I take out the trash I leave those in front of the dumpsters - the couple of bucks I could get for taking them in means nothing to me, but could mean a lot to somebody less fortunate and if it gives somebody his fix so he doesn't have to break in to somebody's home that day then I'm all for that.

14. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the garbage bin on private property? Maybe that's why the OP is so upset about this. Strange dude going through the garbage bin that's on private property.

Anyway, when I throw something away it's not "my" trash. It's just trash. It's no longer mine because I don't want it anymore.

15. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur. Shredders were invented for a reason. Not that you have anything to hide OP but don't throw garbage out that you don't want anyone to find.

I like the way you think Auggie. In the scheme of things a little bit of recycling money doesn't mean anything to us but may very well make a difference to someone else. We're either helping or enabling. But the alternative is to look the other way and do nothing.

16. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for opinions all...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  17. TOWNSVILLE

TOWNSVILLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Empathy is the word you are all looking for.Loverboy if you are posting on this site l am certainly sure that you would not have anything in your trash that was of interest to anyone else.To smart to fall for that.Maybe recyclables in a separate bag as mentioned before,save the person the embarrassment of having to sort through the trash.Put yourself in their position.God forbid.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This spun your bunny? Wow.

19. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a home in my neighborhood getting a full remodel inside. They have a large construction dumpster in the driveway.
    Several nights ago I drove past the house and saw a group of 20 somethings going thru the dumpster taking Drywall and
    PVC Pipes that was torn out of the house. I'd sure hate to be the one to find out that people I hired to do a small job for
    me used materials they pulled out of the Trash. Kinda Creepy. But hey I remodeled my home about 10 years ago and
    when one of the walls was opened there were McDonald's Bags and Construction Garbage behind the Studs. I was pissed.
    Anyone remember the original Styrofoam Clam Shell Box the Egg McMuffin came in? My house was built back in 1988.

20. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get pissed at the a holes who pull up with a pick up and trailer, and empty their shit into our bins. F YOU!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.