1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit air from msp

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by FilthyMcNasty, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FilthyMcNasty

FilthyMcNasty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking to head to Vegas end of April. Trying to go on the cheap. I have $600 in free slot play that will expire if I don't go. I've seen some people post that they've got round trip air fair through spirit for under a $100. Just wondering where and how you're finding fares that cheap. I'm only going for a quick 2 day trip. Pretty much pack my belongings in a back pack. Won't be checking luggage. Any advice on getting those cheap fares would be appreciated!!

2. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found airfare from BWI to LAS for $76 when they have their 96% off sale. They just had one on March 17th. The catch is you must book a Tues/Wed flight.

3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit has a few loopholes to save money.. like if you buy AT THE AIRPORT instead of online you save money.. only makes sense if you are close to the airport.. you are only bringing a "personal item" so that will help. being flexible on when you fly will help. I just booked mid apri sunday to wednesday night for 76 each way.. but that was sun country

4. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're best off fiddling with Google Flights - it finds you the best fare based on your general criteria.

I ran a search for you for MSP-LAS round trip, there are several fares on Spirit for $157 depending on what day combinations you select.

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=US#search;f=MSP;t=LAS;d=2016-04-26;r=2016-04-29

Give that a go and hopefully that will net you a relatively inexpensive fare.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  5. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit several times RT from MSP to Vegas for under $100; twice in the last 6 months. Here are a couple of tidbits that I have picked up to keep costs down when flying with these guys: Sign up for their frequent fliers club (not the $9 club); they will start sending you e-mails about twice a week. The e-mails have special fares on certain days, which they will advertise with the promo code..that's how I have been able to get fares as low as $59 round trip. You might have to take an evening flight out and a redeye flight back, but hey you can't beat the prices. I use a small suitcase that qualifies as a personal item; however those bastards are reducing the size requirements at the end of the month. Checked bags have to be 40 pounds or less...not the standard 50 pounds...over 40 pounds and you get charged extra. If you are going to have a checked or carry-on bag it is cheaper to pay when booking, rather that waiting later on to pay. Print out your own boarding pass. Do the on-line checkin starting 24 hours before flight time....usually have a better chance at getting an aisle seat if traveling solo. If you live in the Minneapolis area, go to the airport to make your flight reservations..it will save you on some of their BS fees. Biggest problem I have with Spirit is their uncomfortable seats and lack of leg room. I am in the process of looking for a bag that will fulfill their new personal item bag requirements..might have to go with a backpack.

6. FilthyMcNasty

FilthyMcNasty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice and tips. Plan on booking airfare in next few days. Can't wait to get to Vegas. Thanks again.

7. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just heard that Spirit has changed it's mind about downsizing their measurements on their personal item baggage. They are going to stick with the current measurements. I use an American Tourister Atmosphere tote, which will fit under their airline seats. It has wheels and a handle that retracts. I have used this on Spirit several times without a problem. I can pack a couple of pairs of slacks, 3 or 4 shirts, underwear, sneakers and my shaving kit...everything I need for a 3 or 4 day trip. Tote costs $40 at Walmart.

8. kimbaed

kimbaed Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can one person purchase at the airport for the entire group or do they all have to be present?

9. FilthyMcNasty

FilthyMcNasty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips. I ended up going to the airport to book directly with an agent. It saved me $50 in online booking fees. Booked two red eyes for $240 . Only down side is, after I got home I looked at the boarding pass. The agent used my middle name as my first name on the boarding pass. I am worried that may not fly with security. Looks like I'll have to go back to get that corrected. Every time I try to call spirit its at least a 45 minute wait time to talk to a human. That 50 in savings will now be 40 after paying for parking twice.

10. FilthyMcNasty

FilthyMcNasty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe you seasoned travelers would know if I'd be alright with the name mix up on my boarding pass? Guessing I should just play it safe and go get it corrected.

11. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great, safe trip! I've flown with them twice and have zero complaints. Do your research and plan it out and you'll be fine. There was a guy on our plan who said he'd never fly again because of the gate baggage fee. Duh?! You've only been reminded by Spirit, like, 5 times to get baggage ahead of time. It would be underhanded if they didn't remind you.

As to the $9 fare club, I was reluctant at first, but ended up getting it a week before we booked. After getting one checked bag, which we didn't do last time (my SO "lost" my bag), we still saved about $50. My only complaint about the 9fc is that you can't use it at the airport and save money. But essentially, you save that and then some with the promos and such, provided you're flexible with dates. I've been pretty firm on one trip this year, but looking at some random dates and how they've been even lower than my last trip ($292 total airfare for both of us, $344 with bags) and I might squeeze in a quickie.

Again, have a great, fun trip!

12. xantharus

xantharus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, I would try to get that corrected. The fact that it's your actual middle name and not a misspelled 'wrong' name helps you a lot, but its not worth the gamble with TSA on the day you're trying to get to Vegas to see if they will let you slide.

One word of warning: Be prepared to fight with the airline to avoid paying a fee. A name change on a ticket is usually a big one, and they might tell you that you should have spotted it when you booked before you left the counter. Be polite but persistent as it was their agent's mistake, but they might not make it easy for you.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.