1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scotch

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dglen, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never liked the taste of scotch and have never "acquired" a taste for it. What I never liked was the antiseptic taste of it which I just learned was peat after going to a local wine tasting where other spirits were available. I tried a few different scotches with the same conclusions until I came across Glenfiddich 1963 Original. It had very little peat taste to me and I really liked it! Are there any others with similar flavor profiles that some scotch drinkers could recommend that I could try that I might like?

2. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once took a flight from Orlando back home somehow they forgot to stock beverages..long story short they has scotch I really can't remember what kind but anyways I had one said yuk...had three said not bad...by time I got to Midway I was feeling no pain..honestly that's the last of my scotch days...

3. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Glenlivit and Macallan. I believe that if a Scotch is from Islay then it will generally be the peaty ones, like Laphraig and Lagavullin. Other people may know more, but I think my advice is reasonable.

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if my doctor told me that Scotch was the only alcoholic drink i could have,i would go dry

5. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What johnvic said. Ask for Highland Malts and lowland Malts. Speyside and Islays wont be to your liking.

Highland Park, Glen Farclas, Dalwhinnie and Glen Kinchie are a few worth a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Netta

Netta Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Oban. It is from the Highland regions and is a great tasting scotch.

“I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.” — Ron Burgundy

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never liked Scotch but signed up for a Johnny Walker Scotch tasting event. They explained that single malts have the most variety. Single malts come from different geographical regions in Scotland and that the region has a huge effect on the taste. Regions include Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay, and Campbeltown. They had examples of single malts from all the regions for us to try and then the expert blenders at Johnny Walker blend these single malts to make blends. Some single malts are very peaty and some are more like Irish whiskeys. After trying numerous single malts and blends, it was easy for me to conclude that I don't like Scotch. I like Canadian Blended whiskies like Crown Royal or Seagrams VO.

Good luck on your Scotch quest.

8. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most scotch drinkers gravitate to it for the smokey flavor of scotch that the peat dried barley malt provides. You have a few options. First would be a . Lowland scotch. They are typically lighter in nature and less peaty. Unfortunately, they don't have many distillaries and will be harder to find. Best bet would be a big box store like Total Wine. They'll have some and usually someone to advise you.

Next would be a peatless scotch. In these, the malted barley is dried without peat, thus not giving that smokey quality to the whisky. Bunnahabhain is the only one I recall. Again, they won't be found in large numbers or locations. Big box is again the best bet because of larger selection.

Another option you might like is Irish whiskey. Same ingredients as scotch, but not dried with peat. They are dried in a kiln situation, so no smoke. You'll find these most very where in blends. Single malts will not be plentiful in most stores though. Again, as much as I don't like being a salesman for any big box, they will give you larger selection than most. Have fun.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

9. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!

Glenfiddich

liquid Marijuana.

10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but we were having company so I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 year. It runs about $50 and my Scotch drinking guest really enjoyed it. I ended up polishing off the bottle and drank it neat in a whiskey glass. It didn't have a heavy smoke taste.

Edit to add:
    Any opinions on Laphroaig Scotch 18 Year Old? Here in PA the State Store has it on close out for $64.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As mentioned above, Laphroaig is an Islay Scotch. You will probably hate it. Once someone got me a bottle of Ardbeg, another Isaly Scotch. I could not drink it, and I'll drink anything.

Many people's favorite Scotch just might be The Botanist. It's gin!

13. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correction from an earlier post. I mentioned Bunnahabhain as unpeated and Bruchladdich is the Islay scotch I meant. So seldom mentioned that I had to google it to make sure.

Yeah, most newbies and some blend drinkers have tough time with Islay malts. I don't mind one now and again, but not for a steady diet. Blends are good intro to scotch. For single malts, Lowland followed by Highland species will usually be a bit lighter.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

14. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drink a blend called Artist Blend from Compass Box. It's quite easy to drink.

15. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had never come across this brand so I googled it and was impressed. It has 29% malt scotch which is very good. This provides the flavor and the grain scotch makes it easily drinkable. I would suspect the only place to find it here (Wa) would be a big box store. If I find it I'll give it a try.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

16. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for giving me some suggestions to try, I really appreciate the help!

17. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree with this statement. Avoid all blended scotch including JW which gives scotch a bad name because it takes like ass which is the slang term for peaty. Irish whiskey is the best kept secret with Tullamore DEW leading the pack.

18. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ is a fantastic website for learning more about whiskys and other spirits too, but specifically when it comes to single malts I find that website to be invaluable. It's got a lot of tasting notes, flavour profiles, customer reviews and even the website's own opinions on the products and producers. I've bought a few drinks from that site.

If you're looking for a specific style of whisky, or specific flavours, that website will tell you near enough all you'll need to know. As others have mentioned in this thread, Islay whisky tends to be the most frequently and often most heavily peated style, but other styles can and do peat some of their products too. Speyside and Lowlands are good ones for you by the sound of it, so on that website you'll be able to view by region and then from there you can get more information about the specific distilleries, their typical characteristics, and then find specific products from the distilleries you like the sound of. That's where you'll find the more detailed tasting notes and flavour profiles.

If you want any help, advice, or just to chat about whisky, feel free to PM me. I love the stuff and could talk about it for days, and I love introducing people to it and finding out what they like.

19. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't say I don't like blends. I just prefer them with a higher malt scotch content. In fact, you mention JW and I've drank it most of my adult life. There's nothing wrong with it other than the fact that you don't like it. There are good and bad in both catagories. No one can say this is the best or that is the worst. All that matters is that you enjoy it, be it a blend, a single malt, a blended malt or a single grain.

I'm not the biggest fan of Irish whiskey, but I don't dislike them. I prefer their single malts as without the smoke, blends seem a bit too smooth. There are some good ones though.

Good Luck!
    Ric at joes

20. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May I suggest:

image.jpg

Smooth as silk. Legendary.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.