1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Injury at Cosmo Pool

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by UKFanatic, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have not seen any news articles or reports about this yet, but I trust how I found out and assume someone can confirm:

This past weekend, the gf and I made a last minute trip to Cosmo for a blackjack tourney. Very quick trip. We were only in vegas less than 48 hours. As we are leaving Sunday around 5, our car pulls out onto Harmon headed toward the airport. We immediately saw no less than five fire trucks and ambulances on Harmon and the Strip surrounding the Cosmo. We make a joke with our driver about another pool catching on fire and don't think anything more of it. Until we get home ....

My gf has a part time job tutoring LSAT students. During their tutoring yesterday, she mentioned to her current student that we had gone to Marquee dayclub on Saturday. Her student immediately responded that one of her old friends from USC had been at Cosmo on Sunday and somehow became paralyzed trying to jump into a pool at Cosmo (didn't know which pool). Suddenly, all the first responders we saw on Sunday made sense.

I'm not sure I want to imagine how one paralyzes himself jumping into a pool, but something tells me alcohol and a neck injury must have been involved. I don't go to pool parties in vegas very often, but it reminds me to be safe when I do.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh, that's terrible to hear. But booze and falling in during the "jump" or possibly being drunk and diving in is likely involved. I doubt any part of cosmos pools are any deeper than 5'. Heck maybe 4'.

3. ThePicksHub

ThePicksHub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It'd be pretty easy to do jumping into a short pool like that. Terrible though to hear. Here comes a lawsuit.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Head first in shallow end.

never a good combo.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm honestly surprised that way more people don't get injured at Cosmo. There are just so many potential failure points -- the pool at the dayclub, the stairs at Marquee, the escalators all over the place, the balconies, to name just the ones I can think of off the top of my head -- and then combine that with the sheer quantity of alcohol floating around that place.

6. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes. Jumping into shallow water while intoxicated always has the potential to end in a bad, bad way.

Just this past November, an Ohio State student tragically passed away after diving headfirst into Mirror Lake during the annual plunge. Much like any pool, Mirror "Lake" is a man-made body of water with a stone/cement bottom and is no more than 4' deep in the areas near the edge.

7. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's really sad to hear about. Poor kid. Vegas is a wonderful place to unwind and get a little crazy, but I'm reminded sometimes that there are people out there who just can't handle that much freedom. A lot of people don't know how to control themselves when they've been drinking, unfortunately, and that may have been the problem with this situation.

8. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately that injury is more common than you would think.
    It happens all over the country in home and community pools every year.

It is sad as it is usually a young person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.