1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hard Soda, Anybody ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I haven't had any kind of soda in about 8 yrs.
    I don't wanna stop my string !.....but.....
    Who's tried this "hard" soda ?
    When will Vegas serve it "on the floor" ?
    Are they trying to murder diabetics ?

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haven't had it. if i want hard soda i'll have the old way.
    small bottle of Coke with a shot or two of Old Grand Dad. just like in high school

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used the hard ginger ale with dark rum to make a dark and stormy. I was feeling no pain after the second one.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BHG had a fun looking recipe last month for an ice cream float made with hard root beer. That's the only thing I've seen that might make me want to try it.....

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just tried Hard Root Beer. I wouldn't buy it again. I bought some charge water to tone it down a bit. It's pretty intense, and by that i mean flavor-wise.

6. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried a sip of the hard root beer when it first came out and it was ok. Not the best RB I've had though. I don't drink much soda, but here and there I'll have a bottle of coke or a good root beer. I would not mix with either because both mask the taste of liquor and I like the taste of spirits more than the effect. In fact, if they could make a decent scotch with 10% alcohol in stead of 40%, I'd be in heaven. Unfortunately you can't produce a non or low alcohol sub that tastes the same as the real thing.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

7. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a six pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer. Not good. It has that sickly, cheap alcohol taste at the end of every sip. I also tried to make a float with it. Awful. I threw it out.

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know - I'll skip that BHG recipe then.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far I've tried Not Your Father's Root Beer and Ginger Ale. I didn't like the root beer because it reminded me too much of actual beer which I don't drink. The ginger ale was better but not something I would seek out like I would hard cider. If you want to try them, try Trader Joe's if your local one sells alcohol. They sell it by the bottle and the case. I am interested in hard ginger beer but some of the stuff I've seen offered like Hard Orange Soda is a non starter.

10. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just another fad. Anyone remember Zima?

11. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one fad that I don't mind is hard cider. Living in Washington, hard cider is something I've always enjoyed on occasion. Most of the ones I've tried are pretty good, even the really sugary ones like Angry Orchard.

12. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried Henry's (almost sure it's the name) hard orange soda. Was decent but got to be too sweet after half way through.

13. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh wow. I wonder if it's still around

14. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now THAT sounds delicious! BTW, had a great dark and stormy at Comme Ca (don't know how to put the little marks) at Cosmo a few years ago. Thanks for the memory. I had never had one, and may have to put it on the trip list for June.

Oops. Meant to reply with quote about the mixing of dark rum and hard ginger ale.

15. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go to Japan, you can still get a Zima

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The eternal 18yr old in me still misses wine coolers!!! (but if you buy fruit wine, and maybe add a little seltzer, it's the same thing, so....)

I love hard cider - there's a brewery in town that makes some amazing versions! I don't love hops in beer, but a dry hopped cider? Sign me up!! I can't drink as much cider at one time as I can beer or wine, so it's a nice option when I'm driving and only have 1 drink at a meal....

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    image.jpeg
    I've heard of mixing hard cider with Fireball Whisky.

18. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not a bad combo. I've had a couple.

19. Jerry Snuggit

Jerry Snuggit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is so spot-on. There are so many reasons to want to enjoy a few drinks, without getting f-ed up. DUI anyone? Or drinks with lunch and then go back to work, or drinks at night without getting drowsy. Or just the fact that 110-pound women consume the same amount of alcohol in one cocktail as a 230-pound man, perhaps it would make sense that they might prefer less alcohol per drink. There seems to be so much money in low-alcohol beer/wine/booze (call it "responsible drinking") that I can't believe this isn't heavily marketed. Sure, it's an uphill battle to market "watered down" drinks but bars have managed to ban smoking, which I'm sure seemed impossible 25 years ago. They have no problem marketing low calorie beer and low-carb beer, this cannot be that much more difficult.

I would love to see some 20 or 30 proof bourbon or gin. Somebody, get on it!

20. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's called an Angry Balls. You can use any type of cider (stick with a drier one though) but original was made with Angry Orchard cider, which is where the names comes from. It's pretty tasty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.