1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone had their 30 seconds of fame on the news or reality TV??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a few snipits of fame.

I did an in studio interview on a local news program with Sandy Hill who went on to be the 1st female host of Good Morning America. I was with a local men's store and the owner didn't want to go on tv. His son went on to co-found Costco.

At the same store in prevideo days, I was helping a group of guys. They asked if I was going to the Steve Miller show that night in Seattle and I said no, I didn't have tickets. They said they could leave tickets at the box office for me if I wanted. I said sure and asked if they worked there. One of them said they were playing the gig. I then asked if they were the opening act. They said no and I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

The last is fame by association. An uncle of mine was Clarence Darrow's last client. Darrow came out of retirement to defend him as Darrow was broke.
    A few books were written about the case and it was featured on an episode of American Experience on PBS.

That's it for me.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

2. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first was in the early 90s...ended up on both CNN & C-Span on a day I was providing testimony in a US House Commerce Subcommittee hearing...which was also picked up by one of the local TV stations where I lived at the time.

My second was in the mid-90s, when my resignation letter somehow ended up at the city's newspaper where I was living at the time...let's just say that my resignation letter was scathing... but no - I didn't leak it... which means somebody at that company did.
    Anyway, the reporter said they were running the story whether I agreed to provide an interview or not...so I did. Ended up on the front page.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my younger years I was a member of the Army National Guard. My unit is considered "unusual" as there are very few combat ready units in the Guard, but I was a member of one of them.

Although we were a reserve unit, we trained mentally and physically like any other active Army unit. Our standards were the same as any active unit and we were required to meet those standards, which was pretty tough considered we don't train every day. A lot of the physical training was on our own between drills.

Anyway, on one of our training drills we were required to rappel from helicopters (we were an Air Cavalry unit) onto the mountain side and conduct a raid on a mock hostage holdout on the top of the ridge. Our mission was to rescue the hostages and eliminate the "terrorists".

The local news agency heard of our "unique" unit and wanted some live footage and an interview with our platoon sergeant. I was an M-60 machine gunner at the time and the footage caught me firing and advancing toward our objective (actually in reality I had to do about 3 takes before they were satisfied).

After training I went home and didn't say anything to my family. When the news came on and the footage aired my little daughter looked at me and said "Daddy, is that you?" I just said "Yes, my dear..."

I'd like to end this by saying the true heroes were the ones who answered our country's call to war. Your sacrifices, courage, and unselfishness makes the country and myself very proud of all of you.
    Some of you made the ultimate sacrifice. No amount of condolences can express the loss to their families and loved ones.

To these heroes I say Thank You for all that you've done over there.

4. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far, no one has topped being photographed by Warhol.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just about everywhere I go and whatever I do I'm on camera these days.

6. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not much fame here, know several pro athletes and musicians but stay out of any of the stuff they do, like music videos. however I have done a few videos for my friend who is the main bartender in the diamond lounge palm room at harrahs new orleans, we actually just done a video last week in vegas, almost finished editing, coming soon.

lent my car for a few local music videos, made it in 2 out of 3

other than that my work was mentioned in a big headline few years back for turning a girl in for hit and run DUI that killed a guy, they didnt place employee names though

the other, when I was maybe 7-8 years old we were on the local news for a few seconds as they were interviewing after these skinheads that were renting a house across the street from us went to the french quarter and stabbed two guys, killed one all because they thought they were gay, turns out they were brothers

my house made the news a few years later as my neighbor had ties to Pablo Escobar ad was hiding his niece at the house, she was arrested at a local mall and think they said she was planning to go to D.C. and blow something up

thats all I got

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nailed it.

Bill

8. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several times in my life so far, most have been in relation to my hunting dog training. The first was back in 98 when I did an hour podcast on training dogs, later that year I did another podcast on quail hunting and two years later another podcast on Field Trials. On camera I have done 4 hunting shows over the years on quail hunting and one o dog training and had one of my seminars aired on the local PBS station I did for our local wildlife department. The most recent was at McCarran when a channel out of LA was there and interviewed me about the F5 tornado which had hit Moore the week prior. I was on local kids shows a few times as well.

9. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (1) The Travel Channel was doing a special show on the top 10 college tailgating spots in America and they interviewed me. We have had a tent (actually two) in The Grove (0le Miss) for the last ten years and they talked with me for about 5 minutes. At the end of the interview, they asked me to sum up The Grove in one sentence. I told them that "The Grove is hundred year old oak trees surrounded by twenty year old beautiful women". They used that piece as their opening for their segment on The Grove. BTW- The Grove was rated the #1 college tailgating spot in America on that show.

(2) I was a contestant on Wheel of Fortune seven or eight years ago. I won a little over 10 K and had a tremendous amount of fun while doing it.

10. Jerry Snuggit

Jerry Snuggit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow this is just so cool. Have you contacted anyone who might be able to help find the photo? I just looked here http://www.warhol.org/collection/archives/ and the archives collection appears to have tons of stuff... if you could remember exactly when and where it was taken, maybe it has already been indexed and filed.

Did you know anyone from Talking Heads, or Blondie, or perhaps Lou Reed? (or the Clash, based on your user name)?

11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I crossed alot of those musicians/scene-sters paths - in those days.
    Opened for name bands and played CBGB's - Hilly Crystal liked our band -
    We were working hard for a record contract -
    I went to many record offices with the songs I wrote + recorded.
    The funniest thing I heard was years later -
    somebody told me, "there's a Punk Revival scene in Germany,,,,you guys are popular."
    That was hysterical !
    I met alot of musicians who you might never have heard of ---
    some you have -
    we used go see Cyndi Lauper's band before she became thee MEGA star,
    I sat with Joey Ramone at a Blondie show - I ran into him, alot.
    But The Clash were the best Rock'n'Roll band at the time. (.IMHO) Saw them alot,
    Strummer had the lyrics + Jones the guitar + arrangements,
    I bullshitted with Topper Headon + Joe Strummer was hittin' on my girlfriend.,,,,everybody stoned at loft parties.
    I should get in touch with Warhol's estate.
    Thanks for that website,
    I'm just an old guy with a lot of tales, now.

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

BTW
    I just e-mailed Warhol Museum about archiving a copy of that photo.
    Thanks for the website posting.

13. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although sincere, I always feel that "Thank you for your service" doesn't quite express my gratitude for members of the military, former military, and their families. The same thing goes for "I'm sorry for your loss".

Staying on the thread track, I wish there was no more need for 30 seconds of fame for the service men/women for the risks they take.

14. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You very likely knew my buddy Al who was a studio drummer in NYC back then, he played with many old punk/NYHC bands in the day including The Damned, DKs and others.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.