1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to execute back-end comps?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by jeffr, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffr

jeffr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have a trip booked in june and the host I communicate with said "we'll evaluate play at Mandalay Bay upon check out to determine any additional comps".

Do I need to do anything to invoke this process or is it automatic?

2. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is usually not automatic. On the last day of your trip you will need to communicate with your host (or the host on duty if your host is not working that day) and have them take a look at your account to see what, if any additional comps/items you will receive (ie have taken off your bill).

It's also a good idea to talk to your host before the trip to find out what kind of action they are expecting from you in terms of average bet / amount of time gambled so there are no surprises.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best thing to do is know your host's schedule and wrap up your play the night before you check out. Most of them work until at least midnight, so if you know he/she's working the night before you check out, you should be able to arrange to meet them and do it.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The two most important things are:

1) Your play needs to be tracked.
    They need to know who you are and that you are playing. If slots then make sure you are using your card every time and its tracking your play, if table games then give your card to the dealer when you buy in.
    If you have a line of credit that might also work for them tracking you, but I couldn't say for sure and it probably wouldn't be as accurate as using your MLife card.

2) They need something to comp.
    If your room is comped up front and you fully pay for everything at time of purchase (IE: you pay for your dinner with a credit card and buy drinks from the bar with cash) then they won't have anything to comp off your bill at the end of your trip. To that end, charge everything to your room.

And note that it is going to be primarily your play at Mandalay Bay that affects your comps. That doesn't mean you can't play at other properties, but if you lose $1000 at Mandalay Bay and $2000 at MGM Grand, the money lost at Mandalay Bay will carry a lot more weight towards you getting backend comps than your play at MGM Grand - yes, they are part of the same hotel empire, but the host at Mandalay Bay is trying to develop players for Mandalay Bay.

5. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very important to speak with a host (by phone or at the players club desk) BEFORE you go to checkout so they can reconcile whatever comps they might give you. Some hosts work days, some work evenings, so depending when you leave, if you haven't made prior arrangements, you will need to speak to the host on duty. Also, they don't comp tips, so you will be responsible for those if you charged tips to your room.

6. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if your host is on duty the day of checkout should you be asking the night before checkout?

7. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience when you know for sure your host will be there, that hasn't been necessary - but a good idea to call or text ahead of time with your expected checkout time so he/she can review in a timely manner.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would. If I'm leaving town, I'm gone by 6:00am, and even if I'm just changing hotels, checkout is 11:00am and I don't have time to be dicking around trying to find someone who will take off charges. I've never heard of a host whose normal hours include mornings, and most of the times I see the term "host on duty" in a TR, it doesn't end well.

If I knew my host was off the night before checkout, I'd talk to him/her before that and ask how to handle it, with my preferred outcome being the name of a host who was on duty that night. I'd rather not be emailing/texting/calling my host at 10:00pm on their day off and saying "I'm done now, will you look at my play and take stuff off?"

9. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must have a really good host because my bill gets adjusted automatically. I've checked out on the TV screen and had my card charged for quite a bit less once the actual charge clears

10. chantellevegas

chantellevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    or you have resort credits?.... those are taken off your tab automatically.

11. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

I usually meet with my host everyday of my trip. He looks at my play and my charges and lets me know if anything is high/low etc. This works out nicely as there are no surprises. If my host isn't there the day I leave I usually just shoot him a text or email and ask him to adjust my final bill. Your host absolutely can comp charges after you checkout.

12. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprisingly no

13. USCdude87

USCdude87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like I might be a little lucky with my host, as he texts me the night before I check out to let me know my bill is taken care of, before I can even ask.

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having a host do it proactively It probably varies by property and also by play level. Some places are probably more prone to make you ask, or if you're a borderline player who usually covers their upfront comps but not much beyond that, vs someone more profitable who they really care about keeping you coming back.

15. chantellevegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    have any of you ever gotten to your hotel on a booking made by host, then had an unexpected tab? my mom experienced this recently. she was booked on a 4 night comp with food/bev and asked her host for comp show tickets.. he booked them for her but didn't ask what day/time, just said what day he booked them for and she was "all set", then upon check out she was charged for the tickets. she asked the host on duty to fix at check out but he wouldn't. how do you connect with your host if they are on days off during your stay?

16. AceRothstein80

AceRothstein80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, if you have never been assigned a host, is the best thing to do, just go to the players club booth and ask for one before you check out?

17. chantellevegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep. or email one ahead of time if you think your previous play warrants it and see what they can do for you before you arrive. i was never assigned a host, i had to ask for one, but once i got one, he's been great and always gives something extra ontop of marketing offers.

18. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, here is a further question I have about back end comps.
    In my next trip, the first half is at a CET property. The second is at MgM, which is 5xs more money, because it included concert tickets. I am not a huge gambler, but would I be best served to give any/all my action to MLife properties during the trip. So I have history at MGM even before I checkin. And then, before checkout, try to go after some back end comps?

Do that as opposed to trying it at both hotels?

19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This question isn't real clear.

Are you comped at the CET property?

Were your concert tickets part of the offer you're staying on at MGM? What concert and when did you get the offer?

What makes you say the offer at MGM is "5xs more money"? 5x more than what?

20. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not comped at the CET property, just a discounted rate for Total Rewards. The total price, with room and concert at MGM is 5xs more for the 2 nights there, than it is at the 2 nights I am staying at Paris.

So, what I meant, was, should I use all of my play at MGM(Mlife) to hope to get more money off the much larger room cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.