1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Vp question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Miller12pack, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I get a royal playing double double bonus, would I have gotten it if I had been playing jacks or better or any other game?

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Possible, but not likely. The moment you press that button is when the random number generator picks what cards you will see. A moment too slow or too fast changes that.

And what is a GPU?

3. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strategy wise - what cards were you dealt and what cards did you keep?

4. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I typed Vp it came up gpu, but I changed it right away. I was thinking in general, not any specific hand.

5. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess I am missing the question...

5 card draw is 5 card draw...no?

6. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JOB and DDB have very different optimal strategies. Differences affecting what cards you hold after the deal would be the factor that would account for getting a royal in one case and not the other, assuming you're not simply dealt the royal (which actually happened to me last year).

7. Armadillo Al

Armadillo Al Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Neither the cards nor the software that governs what cards are dealt know about or care about the paytable.

What you do with the cards once they're dealt is up to you, but the cards themselves don't change just because the paytable does.

8. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, this I can understand, but not sure that was the OPs actual question...

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The five cards you get dealt is not effected if you're playing job vs ddb. What does change is what you choose to keep for the draw which could affect how often you get a royal. All that said, the likelyhood of a royal is approx 1 every 40,000 hands.

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with this because the action of choosing your game of choice (and everything else in the universe) changes the timing of everything. And when it comes to Royals, the most important skill (that is luck) is timing the deal/draw button exactly right to fill in all the cards.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  11. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The act of game selection is an independent event to the deal/draw button. i.e. once the game is selected, the next actions are independent of that.

I think the only way to compare apples to apples here (in my head anyway) is:

1. both are Jacks or better games (5 card draw)
    2. compare same delt hands
    3. assuming no knowledge of strategy, the OP would choose the same discards for both games no matter what was felt

-chance of royal is the same

better question: is the EXPECTED RETURN the same? probably not depending on the hand delt and discards chosen

If and only if, the OP knows perfect strategy, then the chance may be different, because discard choice would be the variable. This wold not only effect the chance of a royal, but even more the expected return of the given hand.

12. mickeydfly13

mickeydfly13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the OP meant if he got dealt a royal on JOB would he have been dealt it on DDB as well if he actually had selected that game. I would think the time difference in choosing one game over another (or a $ denomination) would change the cards being shuffled and thus your 5 card deal would be different.

13. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean given any multi game machine, is that machine "due" vs is that particular game "due"?

Than you are right.

As we (on the board here) know VP is not slots. No machine can be "due" to hit. So game selection does not matter.

14. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're all overcomplicating the OPs question. I think he was simply under the impression that the machine is set to "hit" a royal every so often, and was wondering if the machine had a different "cycle" for each game. Obviously this isn't how VP (or slots for that matter) work as it's all off a RNG and the cards you're dealt and the cards you get on the draw are random and only determined at the millisecond that you hit the button. Therefore, everything leading up to that exact millisecond (milliseconds if you consider the initial deal AND the draw) has an effect on that result. Obviously we can go on and on about what variables come into play (when you hit the deal, the fact that you screwed up a hold and had to fix it, the hand you messed up 20 minutes prior, the time you sat down, the fact that you forgot something in the room and had to run back, the length of your morning shower, etc. etc. etc.). For what I believe the OP was asking, the answer is no, the machine doesn't care what game you're playing, because that's not how the machines work.

As a side note, the randomness of that moment is something I find fascinating about Vegas. Hypothetically, if you hit a 100k jackpot on your last day in Vegas (or really any significant win at any point), EVERYTHING prior to that had to be exactly the way it was for that result. Had you slept in 10 seconds longer, ate earlier/later/longer, stayed somewhere else, played another machine longer, etc. etc. etc. you wouldn't have won that. Everything prior to that had to align perfectly to the millisecond for that to happen. Always crazy to think about.

15. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slots aren't any different than VP. Slots can't be "due" to hit any more than VP can. The only real difference is that you don't know what the odds of hitting jackpot on a slot are because you don't know how many possible outcomes there are, whereas you can calculate the odds of any given hand in VP because you know every possible outcome from a deck of 52 cards.

16. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. I kind of misspoke a bit

17. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The odds of getting dealt a royal are exactly the same in any VP game that uses an RNG and a standard deck.

In the draw, however, the odds of filling a royal are different from game to game in the sense that ideal strategy in some games encourages the player to hold two or three to a royal more or less frequently. This is easiest to see in a game with wild cards but is also true to a lesser extent in bonus games. In addition, players will often decide to hold two or three to a royal when it is not the best play strategically. Doing so increases their chance to hit the royal. A player may be influenced by a potential bonus and may make this decision more or less often in one game than he would in another.

18. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But what about when they tighten the machines? :poke:

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :stir: :thumbsup:

20. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wanker & Joe = Instigators! :evillaugh