1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Please explain to me the advantage of these new credit card readers.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :soapbox: My grumpy curmudgeon self is out this morning. Explain to me how these new card readers accomplish anything except waste my time? If my card is lost or stolen and I report it, the card will be declined when it it is swiped or inserted.

If it is not reported lost or stolen it can be used until it is. Either swiped or inserted. What is the advantage of the built-in chip that I am missing?

We charge everything we can and my wife is getting tired of me bitching every time we run into one of these.

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The advantage is that card readers and merchants don't store the card data like they do in swipe systems thus your information is protected in the event of a data breach such as Target or Home Depot.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the rest of the word (ROW) you need to enter your PIN to complete the transaction. Chip and PIN they call it. That adds security. The times they are a changing.

5. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course we can now "tap' as well

6. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Merchants around here are just starting to get the chip reader. So it's a bit of a hassle for us as we learn/remember which stores have the new stuff working.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never! Maybe $20 per month is spent using cash. Everything else on the various cards determined by cash back offers and SWA miles.

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poor Jose and olegg.....unless they take cc's. You sit at that bar long enough to go through 20$'s in much less than a month.
    I know what you mean though; we probably write one check a month and the rest is cc.

9. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My AMEX has the chip but I was never asked or given a pin.

10. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I now have the chip on my debit card and credit card. Their chip machine is slow as hell and sometimes declines it and you have to tell them that's not right, I'm sticking it in again and it works then. Not crazy about it but I'm one of those that never carry's any cash.

Sema Show
  11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is happening is that the responsibility is shifting from the card issuers to the merchants. So, right now, merchants who do not have the chip readers setup are held liable for all fraudulent credit card transactions. .

And really, it's not that much more secure. A lot of U.S. merchants got the issuers to agree to chip and signature chip cards and not the WAY more secure chip and pin setup. In the U.S., you will only need to insert the card and sign for the merchant to meet the compliance. This does not stop anyone who steals your physical card and tries to use it. Nor would this stop a thief from using your card online.

What it does stop is thieves who attach skimming devices to a pin pad terminal that will read your magnetic stripe so they can make copies of your card number or sell it on the black market. But I've been reading about more advanced thieves who'd figured out ways to intercept the chip data with devices call shimmers that they can attach to the terminals.

I think that eventually, the card issuers will require merchants to accept pin numbers for credit card to force merchants to be responsible for the transactions. Once the merchant complies with that, the responsibility shifts back to the card issuers and then we'll have more changes to "increase security" down the road.

Personally, I like the use of apps on phones like Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay, which shifts the security responsibility to the consumer.

12. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More good info http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/10/chip-pin-vs-chip-signature/

The ones I've used in the US have all been pretty slow.

That sounds like a horrible idea. Didn't realize that was the case with those, but now it makes sense on why they're being so heavily promoted.

13. LBTRS

LBTRS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also share your frustration in the new chip readers. I've loaded Samsung Pay on my phone to see if that will speed things up. I'll let you know.

14. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip:

The card can be inserted as soon as the clerk scans the first item. There is not any need to wait for the machine to give a prompt. Saves a little bit of time.

15. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At Kroger using my debit card, I do put it in as soon as the cashier starts scanning. Before, it would let me go ahead and put in my pin number, take the card out and be done. I just had to push accept at the end. Now with the chip, it waits until the cashier is finished before I can even put in my pin number and take the card. Much slower to me.

Sema Show
  16. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Euro system with a pin is much better, but at least this eliminates skimming, for now. As with any security system, give it time and someone will find a way to beat it.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha Ha, vacation doesn't count. But in real life at home, yes, maybe $20-$30 per month. There is the shake of day at the bar a couple of times per week and??? Bowling leagues and golf go on the CC. Movies and popcorn, the same.
    Amex card, 6% back at groceries up to $6,000 in charges per year. $75 fee.
    AARP card, 3% cash back at restaurants and gas stations. No fee.
    SWA card, 1 mile per dollar charged. $90 per year fee
    Chase Freedom, 5% cash back on various, rotating items per quarter. Through March 31, it is 5% on gas. No Fee.

It drives my wife nuts to the point she has to put stickers on each card to know what to use it for.

It has become a retiree game for me and our FICO is 800+.

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Luck convincing most of the folks on this board that anything "Euro" is superior!!!

19. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup. The security is in the PIN and the chip. And until card issuers require the PIN and get rid of the "swipe" option, it won't matter.

Oh, and yes. It's currently quite SLOW.

20. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We switched to over to chip and pin here in Canada about 7 years ago I believe. It took a little bit of adjustment but we were already used to using a PIN with debit purchases before that, all this did was add that to credit card purchases and of course inserting the card into the terminal.

The thing about the chip is not only is it more secure than the magnetic strip, you are also no longer handing your card over to someone else, it never leaves your possession which is another level of added security.

Of course, we also got tap and pay along with it which is awesome and I use that for about 95% of the transactions. The only time I don't is if it's over $200 which is the limit of tap and pay or if by some chance the merchant doesn't have a NFC enabled terminal.

It always amazes me how long it takes some technology to be rolled out in the US sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.