1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wayne Newton Returns

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by vegasvic, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like he won't actually sing much. Although his music isn't my cup of tea I have always regretted not going to see him at least once when he was performing. Not sure if I'll take in this show or not

From LVA:

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think he can sing effectively anymore. I wonder if he is going to lip sync like Brittney. If the show has pretty girls surrounding him, dancing, and singing I might go see it.

But if he just sits on a barstool, shows old videos, cracks jokes, reminisces, and tries to sing I think I'll pass.

3. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubs and I will go. Feel the need to before he dies. Yeah we went to Britney too though.

Sema Show
  4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

If he lip synched, it would be incredibly strange to hear Wayne's 21-year-old voice crooning "Danke Schoen" coming out of a 73-year-old man!!! It would definitely end up feeling like some bizarro comedy skit on Saturday Night Live!

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember the huge announcement about him signing a mega contract to perform at the Stardust. Turns out there was no big signing deal, he was four walling the place. Meaning he rented the showroom from Stardust, paid all the show costs and kept any profits. But it was good PR.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that Stardust deal was for 10 years. I don't know how many people he drew but he stayed there into 2005 when the Stardust announced it would be closing in 2006. It would have been fun to see him at the Stardust (one of my favorite places).

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Ha! I never thought of it but it would be incredulously funny! AND it would seriously make me think about going to see him!!

8. fraygul

fraygul Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw him in Edmonton a couple years ago and his voice was off. We all just sang along. It was pretty awesome. He was funny and sweet and even though I'm biased because I adore him, it was worth the money. I would see him in Vegas in a second. We screamed and cried like it was an Elvis concert. The venue there was pretty much a tent with chairs. An actual 'show' would be amazing.

9. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw him maybe 15 years ago at Harrahs in Laughlin and he was pretty good. Tickets were free, but I don't think I would pay to see him.

10. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am surprised by this...when he left the Trop I thought he was done.

11. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'll admit, i'm a Wayniac. I've seen him 17 times in concert. I am thrilled about this news, but i will miss his singing. We're going to tour the ranch when we go in June.

12. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may want to reconsider those choices. Wayne telling stories from a barstool would be an opportunity. He lived the rat pack era in Vegas. The stories alone would be worth the price of admission.

Nick:beer:

13. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Money has brought more than one over the hill performer back.

Nick:beer:

14. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sisters and I took our mom to see him at the Stardust. We bought her a rose to give to him so after he sang a song she stood up and gave home the rose. She said "I love you", he said 'I love you too honey" and kissed her on the cheek. The highlight of her trip. The band was loud to cover up the fact that he couldn't hit all the notes, but it was a great show. The back up singers were wonderful.

Happy birthday to me!
    Let’s check Garth off my nieces bucket list!
  15. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - I took my Mom to see him at the 'dust too. This would have been in 2001 (like a week after 9/11). His pipes were shot even back then. But, like Sparky said, the band and the other singers were good, and I actually enjoyed the show. It made my Mom very happy, so it was worth every penny. (And, I won about 1k on a hot craps table while waiting for the doors to open, so that helped too!).

16. seneca7

seneca7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder if he'll tell the Johnny Carson story? Carson was hounding Wayne every night with snide "gay" jokes. Wayne barged into Carson's office, and as he has been quoted: “And I said to Mr. Carson, I said, ‘I don’t know what friend of yours I’ve killed, I don’t know what child of yours I’ve hurt, I don’t know what food I’ve taken out of your mouth, but these jokes about me will stop and they’ll stop now or I will kick your ass’.” The jokes stopped. Always liked Wayne for that.

17. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember meeting him 30 years ago at Charlie o Finley's farm for his birthday party when I drove for Charlie... I thought he looked old then I can imagine what he looks like now

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather hear him tell stories than sing. But, a few singalongs would be good. Danke Shoen is my go to bad mood song for some reason. But, yeah Vegas and Wayne Newton go together like peanut butter and jelly.

19. jbpiv01

jbpiv01 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't he on the opening night bill for the new Vegas Arena...I think he is

20. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a musician and have played his show twice on the East Coast. OK, his voice is past its prime, to put it politely, but he's still a great entertainer. And he is probably the most gracious headliner in regards to his musicians that I have ever worked with.

Even in his normal shows, there's a lof of reminiscing about the old days. Lots of video clips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.