1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Speeding ticket in N.J....

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by user3657, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Few weeks ago I got a speeding ticket in Hammonton.......

Its for 14mph over, and its a 2point ticket. I have done some research and I believe I can try to knock this down to unsafe driving which carries no points but the fine is alot($200-300?) more......does not make sense to me since I have no points right now and its only a 2 point ticket

My license is good, have not received a ticket in about 4 years.

Would it benefit me by going to court? Fine is $85. I turn 33 next month, dont think my insurance is going to jump over this.

2. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Pennsylvania it's smart to fight any ticket, if the officer doesn't show charges get thrown out. If they show up, you plead guilty, and pay the fine, or argue your point. Up till a few years ago most state police barracks were way under staffed, I'm 2 out of 3 on them not showing.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

In Local Municipals ( in NY ) they changed the "cop doesn't show = go free" laws.
    The money hungry courts were losing too much revenue --
    so The Cop doesn't have to show anymore.
    You lose............but............bargaining w/ court WORKS.
    if you have the time -- GO TO COURT + fight.
    You'll get something out of showing up == early.
    As you posted -
    it's only two points on a perfect resume.
    I got nailed with 3 tickets in a short span ---
    I hadn't got a ticket before in ten years !....You never know ?
    My 02 cents

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here they play "Lets Make A Deal". .Everybody sits down with the local prosecutor and pleas down to something with a bigger fine but less points. A lot of people are pissed in Jersey about this because the system allows people with money to buy their way out of points on their license. In their younger days my kids became experts on this system .

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Suck it up, Buttercup. You got caught, pay the piper and behave.

6. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

They should let you plea bargain online without the need to show up. I'd pay more for that convenience.

OP, FWIW, I too have go to court soon for a cell phone ticket. Worst part: I was shifting gears, not looking at my phone. However, since this all occurred when all that anti-cop stuff was happening, I took the ticket rather than argue with this guy -- apparently I was "wasting his time"

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been awhile for me in the Garden State, but you need to let the court know if you wish to appear, the cut off date should be on your ticket.

Many years ago, I received a speeding ticket in NJ and appeared in court in hopes the officer would be a no show. He was a municipal officer and on time. Rats! When my case was heard, one piece of evidence was a certificate showing that his radar device was calibrated. I remember seeing a TV episode of a drama where somebody got off because the certificate was a photocopy and not an original. I felt rather smug and made the same argument, but the judge denied my argument, so it was pay up sucker. Don't believe what you see on Matlock reruns.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fine for unsafe driving might be up to $400. Hammonton gives out a lot of speeding tickets.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Everyone has found Traffic Enforcement Fines are a GREAT source of income --
    with budget crises everywhere -- fines have increased -- and don't get me started on "Court Surcharges" !
    *** worse than RESORT FEES ******
    So politicians can express at election time "we didn't raise your taxes !"
    many years ago -
    I brought photos of a Stop Sign - I supposedly ran --
    Prosecutor saw me pull photos out of my folder --- Didn't even look at one --
    and pronounced -- "Okay...dismissed."
    I loved that moment !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.