1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's with people being stingy when it comes to planning a Vegas trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by spdandpwr, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

So I've been trying to convince my friends to come to Vegas and well I did get them interested but somethings happened along the way (of course, right!).

So the first person I talked to said her and her friend were a yes and I offered them the opportunity to save money by staying with me (I planned on getting two queens at the Venetian). They said that works. Great! Well, when they went to buy their plane tickets a week later, the question of where they were staying came up. As you imagine where the story goes, they double-backed and said they weren't comfortable with idea. Ugh, so what does that mean, do I pay for your room? I already booked my flight back from Vegas first class so I can't cancel the trip now. Okay, okay, I'll just step down from staying a the Venetian to two rooms at Ballys. Fortunately, for me, that yielded a savings of $700 bucks. Score! I don't think the Venetian is worth $700 more than Ballys for a 4 night stay so I'm happy with that but why would you double-back. Meh, water under the bridge.

Second one is worse. These girls have their own room at the Palazzo and they work great jobs. Problem is that they waited too long on their flights and now they are being charged 100 more each for their flight and they don't feel like paying that. I'm like: ugh seriously! Haha, I mean $100 is coin for anyone but are you really going to cancel your trip to Vegas because your flight was $100 more than what you were willing to pay? Truth be told, if $100 is going to kill you, you prolly shouldn't even be going to Vegas...

Anyone else have similar experience?

2. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should can the whole idea of going with them. If they're doing this before the trip, I can imagine nickel timing every detail when they're there.

3. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just maybe they've had second thoughts and don't know how to gracefully back out?

How we do it:
    Hey, we're going to Vegas, if you wanna go together, let's pick a date and time and place that works for all of us and each book at the same time. Works great, sometimes minor adjustments along the way, but it all works out.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You think you know someone, but you never really know them until you get him/her to open their wallet. It could be a friend, a relative, a business associate or a customer. Until you get them to sign on the line or verbally commit by saying "yes, I will do xxxx", money talks and bullsh!t walks.

I used to run bus skiing trips in my Twenties and heard it all. The best one was "when is the latest I need to give you my answer"? I always said, "the day before I sell the last seat on the bus, give me your deposit now."

5. Wonka

Wonka Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes dealt with this before, kind of similar.... ruins vegas experience... the guy was nickel and diming before.. (even though i put in all the time to find flight/hotel for the trip). got there, first night he blew his bankroll and it was the worst 4 days ever. I had to overly drink to keep myself sane.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So true, so true!

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - agreed. If they're showing this much reluctance and worry prior to the trip. Imagine when you get out there and they want to cling to you and don't want to spend any money but yet you want to wander and gamble or eat at nice places.

We went once with a couple who was like that. Never again.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Traveling with friends CAN be a real pain in the ass.

I have a small traveling group and we've been going places for 20+ years now. It's become pretty automatic. Now with that we have the one guy who never chimes in -- "tell me when, where and how much" (god I love him!!) -- and one guy who'll fight to save 25 bucks somewhere simply for principle and he'll spend seven weeks researching to find it and it likely will add hours and hours to his travel time, and we have several guys who cycle in and out. But, again, it's rather automatic.

The best thing we did was set parameters a long time ago: A good budget so we aren't staying at Super 8s but also a reasonable budget, no shared rooms, and a standard number of nights. Everyone likes food and drink. All do a good job of whipping out the CC in succession so the financial reckoning at the end seldom requires any currency exchange.

Most importantly, no one expects subsidies. If I can make some deals happen, I'm happy to do so, but if rack is what's required, rack it is. Nothing is worse -- in this instance since the talk specifically is Vegas -- than someone who presumes a comp is free and you're of course gonna just provide a room.

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get the first example at all. They don't want to share a room with you, and you end up responsible for getting them another room? If they want to stay in their own room, that's great, but why would you pay?

Second ones are not your problem at all. They don't like the $100, they can save it back with a cheaper room than Palazzo. If they can't cancel their Palazzo rate anymore, they are going to pay for the flight, who are they kidding?

Overall, I'd caution you with trying too hard to fix their problems. Having friends along to vegas can be great, but you don't want to be their travel agent. Nor change your plans too much for them. Nor be their tour guide.

The approach I take these days is "I'm going, this is when and where. I'd love it if you came along". Solo trips are fine too, and it saves no end of grief letting people do their own travel plans.

10. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

God, I better not be footing the bill for dinners. I have very expensive taste when it comes to food and if they can't hang, that's fine, I'll settle...but I'm not paying...especially if I got you a room

11. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This is me. And, if I can't afford it, I'll let you know. I understand being smart with money, but don't come round here telling me about your business deals and your brand new vette and then it's a struggle to get you to shell out 20% (or even 15%) for a tip. Splitting checks shouldn't be a tooth-pulling endeavor.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More than once I have gone back to the table because "I forgot something" to add to the tip after I paid for the meal and I thought my brother's tip was on the stingy side. No need to bring it up. Just go back and leave more. I'm always very generous on comped meals. I figure share the wealth.

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW, I don't have a problem with folks being $$$-wise. Stingy is something else. Don't be cheap is what it's really getting at.

I know which of my friends to whom I can suggest a $300 round of golf and which to keep it at $50, and it's all good.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like family.

Sitting around I have often heard things like "let's all go to Disney", "or let's all take a cruise", or "lets all go to the beach". Eveybody says HELL YES. comes time to plan and PAY up, and the whole thing changes.

As to your friends. If they want to go, then fine. If not, frick it!

15. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I have friends and family I won't invite along for this exact reason. It's cool if you want to do your own thing for part of the trip, but don't expect me to babysit you if you blow your budget, dictate the entire trip to me or just expect me to pick up your portion of the tab.

16. GoGrizz

GoGrizz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like some of my "cheaper" friends. No straight answers and always trying to modify every detail.

17. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup Ive heard it all and that's why I really don't tell anyone Im heading to Vegas until the very last minute.

18. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sorry if this sounds harsh but are these your friends or just girls wanting a free trip?
    If they just want a free trip - either because they don't have money of their own or because they're users - then you have to decide how much their company is worth to you. If you don't mind going on your own and they're getting too demanding maybe you should just be straight with them and say you're getting a room, which they can share or they can get their own. And if you don't plan to fund their meals and gambling, tell them that.

19. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

To be fair, the people complaining aren't my friends...they're the friends of the girls that I'm inviting. My friend was cool with sharing the room and is cool sharing a room the next time. I don't mind shelling out for one room since I'd use that if they came with or not. Buying an entirely different room because of her friend is a PITA but I found a work around in this case so I'm not going to pay it mind. Plus I get more and more excited about staying at Ballys. I'm going to go to BLT and Mon Ami every day lol

20. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And don't forget Earl's at planet ho for the budget watchers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.