1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Slot Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Slots' started by Lilrascal, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilrascal

Lilrascal Tourist

I realize that this may sound like a stupid question, I mean who really needs advice on how to play slots right? Well the last time I ever really played any slots they were of the reel type, pretty simple to figure out. Then they all went to the gazillion lines with options to play tons of credits at a time and I couldn't even tell how I was winning or losing. Looking for some basic advice on these type slots. I was always taught you needed to play the maximum number credits to get on the reel machines. Is this not the case with the newer machines where you can play so many credits? Is there a sweet spot for amount of credits to play? Is there something I should be looking for? Any basic advice would be appreciated.

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely not the case with newer video slots. Many games do not give bigger relative payouts by betting max, so the return percentage is often the same no matter how much is wagered. So bet what you feel comfortable with.

The most obvious exception to this are network progressives that clearly state that you have to bet max to be eligible for the jackpot.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first off, there are a WIDE range of machine from a few lines to hundred lines.

Some machines will say right at the top you must play max to win the jackpot(s) or bonus. Some require it, some do not.

General feeling is that you need to play all lines. Varied opinions if you need to max bet each line.

There are still lots of the older reel machines. Even though many pay a bit higher on the TOP payout for max credits, that is still a rare hit, so playing one credit is not a terribly bad thing.

4. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of opinions out there, but we usually play max lines/min amount, with occasional bursts at higher amounts.

5. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My question always was if I play max bet like I do most of time and switch to lower bet and of course hit say 100 free spins...would that a happened if I still was on max bet.

6. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will drink yourself silly trying to figure that out.

LOL!

7. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha yea that's usually what happens

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your spin results are based on the exact moment when you hit the spin button afaik. Switching denominations changes timing completely so if you stayed at max bet, it's very unlikely the same result would occur.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing to remember is that for the majority of slots you need to start the symbol matching from the left most column.
    Columns 2-5 all have matching symbols and you wonder why you didn't win, its because there was no matching symbol in the column 1.
    It took me a bit to figure this out when first playing the new types of slots.
    Granted there are others where you match from both the left and right side but those aren't the norm.
    As others mentioned, the machines are pretty good at labeling to let you know if Max bet is required for the jackport or even to trigger the bonuses.
    Its not very obvious on the older machines.

10. Lilrascal

Lilrascal Tourist

Well it is good to know that I don't have to bet max credits on a lot of the multi line machines. Though it seems most are saying I should at least play max lines. Maybe I will find one I enjoy playing with a fun bonus round.

11. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said!

12. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said again tring.

It is all based on RNG, random number generator.

13. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, always play max lines.

14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have two personal golden rules when I sit down at a slot -
    1) never play a progressive machine unless I'm willing to bet the max - ya just never know when lightning might strike
    2) on video slots take a minute to scroll through the rules if not familiar with it - I just like to know what the options are.

If you are not on a progressive machine or one where you don't need to play max credits to maximize a win:
    On reel slots just look at the top as to what the payouts are for one credit, two credits, three credits and decide how many credits to play based on that - it only takes a minute - I usually play max on reel slots, but if there is 'no penalty' for not playing max; I sometimes play less than max when I need to stretch my play or just slow down - but be willing to accept a lesser win in the event you hit something nice and dont kick yourself silly - accept the trade-off.

On the newer video slots, I swear the 'sweet spot' is not always max bet on some games. I have seen and experienced winning $500 on a penny machine on a 50 cent bet on a bonus, and bet max $2.50 (for example) and won $8.00 on a bonus. In the long run though, bigger wagers tend to result in bigger wins, in my experience.

I always play maximum lines, but not always maximum credits
    Look at the buttons - if multiple rows, top row is number of 'lines' bet, bottom row is number of 'credits' bet - usually.
    Always look and select your options before hitting the spin button or you may be betting max unintentionally!
    Also, some slots are multi-denominational - example 1 cent, 2 cents, 5 cents or $1.00, $2.00, $5.00 etc. - so choose before you spin!

A lot depends on your bankroll, your risk tolerance, your style of play.
    I'd suggest you start slow, pick something that appeals to you and looks fun, scroll through the game rules, give it a try, and go from there!
    Wishing you great luck and lots of fun..

15. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are max lines not set by default? i never usually check. I just pick a coin amount and start playing. i am probably a terrible slots player.

16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% true.

But, to clarify, switching denominations itself does not change outcome. Taking 2 seconds to do it is what changes the outcome.

17. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes ...I did catch that..

18. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not always in my experience.

Often times if the previous player set the lines to less than max, and you walk up, insert money, and hit 'spin' or 'repeat bet' or whatever it is named, the bet amount will be based on that previous setting.
    Now if you hit the 'play max' button - yes you will be betting max lines and max credits.

Other slot players: please correct me if I'm stating this incorrectly.

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Also,some machines that allow you to change the denom form penny to nickel, etc will reset the bet to minimum lines. Had that happen.

Do not assume ANYTHING. Check to see what you are playing.

20. Sapphire

Sapphire Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with this. I play a lot of slots (because I'm lazy and the whole point of a Vegas trip for me is to NOT think), and I swear I've hit more $$ betting whatever the middle of the road bet is. Usually like $1.50 or so.

And for the original question .... there really is no "correct way" to play slots. You just have to play according to your desired outcome. If you are seriously trying to "hit the big one", then you should listen to someone other than me. But if you are just trying to have a little fun without spending a gazillion dollars, then find one of the newer slots with the crazy incredible graphics (Game of Thrones is gorgeous) and bet whatever you are comfortable with (again, seems like the middle of the road option is more consistent) and allow the machine to run through its cycle of graphics rather than just hitting the button as fast and furious as you can. I really enjoy watching the "shows" the newer slot machines put on these days.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.