1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's all this Monkey Business with In-Out-Burger?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by mdee, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know a lot of you talk about arriving in Las Vegas and driving straight to an In-Out-Burger. I've never been to one because I do not eat Hamburgers.
    I keep hearing the term "Monkey Style" or "Animal Style". I guess it's something like Fries, Onions and Melted Cheese inside the Burger? Sounds Tasty!
    I'd try that if it could be on a Blackened Chicken Sandwich. I bet spillage is a real issue... So what's the deal? Is this a real thing? A Fad? A Top Secret Menu Item?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you ever do want to try In-N-Out Burger just to see what all the fuss is about, they have a vegetarian option on the Secret Menu that is a grilled cheese sandwich and you can get the Animal Style fries or whatever else you like to go with it - here's the link:
    http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/grilled-cheese/

4. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In-N-out has good hamburgers for a premium price. Their fries are the weakest part of the menu, but people think they need fries with their burgers. If you don't eat hamburgers, there is absolutely no reason to ever go there, it's just another fast food zoo. Their grilled cheese is just ok as well - not much you can do with American "cheese"
    I think most of the wildest supporters would agree that without the hamburger, there's not much reason to go.

5. HolgerKCH

HolgerKCH Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been there twice and absolutely have no idea what is so good. Burgers a bit different from McD but not much better

6. bobbyh

bobbyh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In-n-Out doesn't do chicken and most likely never will. Either beef or no beef. And yes there fries are the weakest link.

If you want something from a competitor Shake Shack now has chicken sandwiches (fried, not grilled though).

7. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprising that people feel fries are the weakest link. Could that be a comparison to other fast-foods and not the actual taste?

In-and-Out cuts the fries in the store, out in the open from fresh potatoes. Fry 'em, salt 'em, then Animal Style 'em. Can't go wrong!

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  8. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Roy, is there a point to your anti-fry rant? Context.

Nick:beer:

9. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Compare them to want you want but its the actual taste that gives them a bad rep. It doesn't matter if you cut the fries in the store if you don't prepare them and cook them properly. Also a single fry can never give them the crispiness they need. In that department they can even learn a thing or two from McDonalds. With that said its still worth a visit since the burgers are the best in its price category.

10. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think their burgers were anything special at first. But then I tried the animal style and that is a huge improvement.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would you got to in and out if you dont want a burger?. Its like all they sell.

12. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah the extra spread and pickles are fine, but the grilled onions and mustard-grilled patties are what really make it great.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me I like in n out because they serve a decent burger for a cheap price. Prices there are more "economy" than premium IMHO. I feel I can get a better meal for less of a price than at McD's or BK IMHO.

I don't think that In n Out is really that "special", just that I like their prices (under $5 or $6 for a decent meal) so it is a better deal than eating at McD's or BK IMHO. With rising prices I don't want to spend $8 or $9 or $10 and up for lunch and would rather go to In n Out for a $6 meal.

As for their "weak" fries, has anyone ordered them "well done"? On the secret menu they list a Well Done fries that are crispier and browner.

Hmmm, I didn't know you could also ask for your burger to be animal style. Does it costs more? I'm just curious. I have a hard time eating the animal style fries along with the burger and soda so making an animal style burger might be better for me, maybe I could even skip the fries if the burger is filling enough.

BTW, if you don't like all the carbs from the bun they also offer a protein style burger. This comes in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun. My sister likes that because she wants to cut down on carbs. I told her that she still gets the carbs from the dressing but she likes In n Out so will forgo the bun for a lettuce wrap.

14. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In n out fries do suck, fresh cut fries need to be thicker and cooked twice. Once at a lower temp, then a second time at a higher temp.
    Their burgers are good, but maybe only slightly better then Wendy's. But a lot better then Mcd's and BK.

15. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I have about 4 In N Outs in a 10 mile radius from where I am right now, I hardly ever eat there, but quite frankly it's not a bad place to eat for relatively cheap. You can get a meal for around $6 which is about what the meals at BK and McD costs nowadays. If I were to eat fast food in Vegas, I would go back to White Castle because we do not have that out here. I guess it really depends on getting it when you can. If I were in the south, I definitely would get Whattaburgers.

16. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a rant! I like my fries crispy on the outside and thick enough to stay warm until I'm finished eating. In N Out flunks on both counts. Not trying to necessarily bad mouth them, but I wouldn't go there for the fries. I was just trying to say to the OP that if he/she didn't eat hamburgers, there was no point in going.

I WAS ranting about the stuff that people call American "Cheese" - but that's a different topic all together.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL roy. I saw some American cheese labeled as "cheese food" and I was done with that stuff.

I agree that the In N Out fries are nothing to write home about. I do enjoy an animal style cheeseburger on rare occasions, but our nearest one is about an 11 hour drive away from here in Redding, CA, so I don't get there often.

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Animal style burger is the only way to go. For fries, ask for them "well done" and they are perfect.

19. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely! I think a lot of people don't even think about this option when it comes to fries. I love me some crispy fries!

20. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I get everything animal style. From the fries to the burger..it makes the food taste better...though, with the increase in taste so comes the increase in calories, trans fats, and cholesterol. God, I love America!!!

p.s. that's not sarcasm. I couldn't imagine a world with out the hamburger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.