1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Discounts

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Neonnh, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonnh

Neonnh Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all, I have been reading some of the rental car posts and they have proven to be quite helpful, so thanks for all the info. Couple of quick questions, are there any discount codes on line for March for car rentals? We always use Dollar or Alamo but are open for suggestions. Prices seem quite a bit higher than in the past, I have been checking every day. Fox Car Rental seemed to be lower but I have never even heard of them. Thanks for any input, just a few more weeks and we take a break from the New England winter! Wendi

2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are your dates and times?

3. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fox is cheaper, but know that you have to take two shuttles to get there (one to the car rental centre, and a second one to get their location on LVB).

E-Z car rental's coupon page has 5% off for almost everybody, and there's another couple of % points off for being a member.

The best "name brand" one I've found lately is a free weekend day with Budget on the Air Canada site. The prices drop to similar rates as Payless/EZ/Advantage

4. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hesitate to respond because there is already a sticky for this subject, however, I've recently re-entered the job search market and have some time on my hands so I'll offer a quicky.

Car Rental Savers is my favorite baseline price guide. They are a consolidator of various promo codes. Once I find a rate and company I like, I hit a site like Retail Me Not to find other promo codes.

Now, with all that said, I ultimately end up using Alamo or Budget, as their offers to those who have the Entertainment Book are usually better than anything else I can find.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  5. Neonnh

Neonnh Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are booked for 3/14-23

6. Neonnh

Neonnh Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used the message board for awhile, so I didn't know about the "sticky", lots of good info there :) funny I searched "car rental" before I posted and didn't see that. I am sure people ask the same questions all the time :(. I do appreciate your response and I thank you for that!

7. mjames1229

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave:

8. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:

Forgot to thank you for this post, mjames - I checked Car Rental Savers a couple hours after you posted this. Booked a compact with Firefly for $5 per day, grand total of $60 for four days in March. Deal was gone by the next morning. The only catch is 20 cent per mile charge for anything over 20 miles. Since it's a solo gambling trip for me I probably won't put on more than a hundred extra miles. Even adding that $20 on, price is still less than half of any other company. Now if they just have a car available when I get there.....

9. mjames1229

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked the same deal (though I splurged for $6 per day for a midsize).

I figure I'd have to go over 300 miles in five days to match what it would cost for Budget or Alamo. I've never used Firefly, but since they are a division of Hertz, I figure it can't be too bad.

10. Spock

Spock Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dollar rental at Swenson is cheap but open 8 am - 5 pm. Not far from MGM.

Got a corolla for 14 days for $212 including taxes ... Off strip much cheaper.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

how do you get to and from the place from the airport? Do they have a shuttle to get to their location? is it easy to call for a cab to get back to the airport? How big an inventory do they have, do they give you an upgrade if they run out of your reserved car type?

I did notice that their rates are lower than the ones at the rental facility but I just wasn't sure how to get to and from the place. I know that I can catch a cab to dollar on Swenson for a few bucks (even $10 is cheaper than the rental facility) but wasn't sure how easy it was to catch a cab back to the airport. is he place only open from 8 to 5 pm? On the dollar site I thought it said it was open till midnight.

12. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another option is to pick up at Swenson and return to the airport. For my trip in March, it is $10 extra fee to pick up at Dollar (on Swenson) and return at LAS.
    bruce

13. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked out this option for my March trip. It's over $100 cheaper to pick up at Swenson and drop off at the airport than to pick up at the rental center. Looks like it's a nine minute ride on bus 108 from McCarran to a stop very close to the Swenson location.

14. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Thank you for reminding me of this Dollar location. I saved about $150 on our April res. I LOVE this msg board!

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

thanks for the info, so you just cab it to the dollar and dollar has a shuttle for $10 to get you back to LAS?

How is the selection of cars there? lots of inventory?

For my March madness trip the price is probably $120 lower (for a 7 day rental) so I would consider renting from them.

Unfortunately since they close at 5pm I won't be able to use them this time (my flight leaves at 1 am) but maybe next time.

but thanks for the info. this is a great board with all the people being so helpful.

16. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makikiboy:
    I am planning on using LYft/Uber to get from the airport to Swenson.
    The car will then be returned to LAS directly, this is referred to as a one-way rental
    (picking up at one location and dropping off at a different location).
    At the las vegas locations the one-way fee is only $10, (The reason I say only is that I have seen one way fees as high as $200.)
    This is my first time not using the airport rental facility, so I can not help on inventory.

If I am reading your post correctly, you will arrive during Swenson business hours, but depart at 1:00 am....
    no problem because you are dropping the car off at the airport. If you choose this option, make sure you check the
    "return to a different location" box when making the reservation.

17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip Bruce. Unfortunately I think the pricing is all relative because when I tried to book a pick up at Swenson and return to LAS the price went up about $25 so the price came close to my existing reservation (at advantage) so I would rather just take the airport shuttle.

Maybe next time but good to know. Plz get back to us on how Swenson went (availability of cars, selection, wait for car, etc.).

18. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we prepaid for our rental through budget (plus AARP) and for 7 days, got it for 145.00 sometimes it's awesome being old(er)

19. mlaine55

mlaine55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was able to save over $100 on a Budget Rental by picking up at the Tropicana location and returning to LAS. They don't charge extra for returning to LAS.

20. mafig

mafig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a couple of questions.
    What car rental agency is recommended on the strip. We'll be staying at Bally's and want a car to go to the Grand Canyon. I don't want to go back to the airport to get one.
    Also want one that opens by 7 am so we can get an early start. Otherwise, I guess we'll have to rent for two days.

Another also, one that doesn't charge for 2nd driver. I know some do and when I told this to my husband he said "we just won't tell them." I feel really uncomfortable doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.