1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Comped Suite: Based on Availability... odds of actually GETTING the room?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Multifarious5, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get a bunch of time off work, so I try to piggyback on holidays. I was able to apply my Mlife universal offer to a baby suite (Salone) at Bellagio, but I booked it for Friday May 27th to May 30th...Memorial Day Weekend. I have never stayed at Bellagio, so was really excited about the Salone Suite, but I recognize that is a crazy weekend, and there is a chance that, even though I booked it, I might get bumped to a standard room if they're too slammed. (I was actually impressed they didn't consider those blackout dates and let me book it, so I guess I shouldnt' be a big crybaby if I get bumped down...)

If you've received comps at Bellagio, how often have they downgraded you at check-in? I will already BE in vegas and will be switching from another hotel, so I'll be checking in around 2:00/3:00 pm. I am hoping that, since I am checking in before the "after workers" who come in Friday night...I might beat a big chunk of the crowd, and actually get the room I booked. Do you think I have any chance of getting the room I booked, or should I brace for disappointment? A standard comped room is still very generous on a big weekend, I was just super excited about the Salone Suite, as it looks lovely!

2. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you will be fine. Chance of getting bumped is low.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In your favor:
    • You're checking in early
    • The Salone is the lowest level "suite"

Working against you:
    • There's only two on each floor (editing to correct: There's 6 on each floor in the main building, 2 on each floor in the Spa Tower. 2 in the Main Tower and both in the Spa tower have fountain views.)

You just never know. I've gotten bumped out of suites I was actually paying for, in the middle of slow weeks, once because a they put a bigger player in it (not difficult), and once because the previous occupants decided to extend their stay. Both were not real high-level suites (Penthouse City View at MGM and Corner City View at Aria), but there was a small inventory of them. MGM properties do oversell and then deal with it later. It used to be that you'd have a shot at a free upgrade in those situations, but occupancy is up, so that doesn't happen as much now.

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed at Bellagio quite a few times in a suite. I have never been downgraded. That's not to say it couldn't happen. I think checking in early may help you. If it does happen though, make sure you get the best regular room you can get.

What's the deal with the MGM Grand Penthouse City View suites. Are they really popular. My last stay at MGM Grand, I had one booked, and was actually ugpraded to a marquee suite due to the penthouse city view not being available. I didn't want that - so ended up in a terrace suite. My M Life corporate offer entitles me to the terrace and the marquee suites - comped. But not the Penhouse City View - which is a cheaper suite.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There just aren't that many of them. Two on floors 25 - 28 and one on floors 17 - 24. It's the best one bedroom and MGM Grand doesn't really have a lot of high end rooms outside of Skylofts and the Terrace Suites. So you combine overbooking with bump-downs and it's an attractive target to put higher players who want to come in last-minute.

When I got bumped, later that night I asked my host about it and she explained that during one of their midweek meetings they go over inventory and sometimes have to make a case for their players to get the suites they reserved, some win and some lose. I hadn't even been assigned to her yet, so when I arrived there was just a note on my reservation that I'd been bumped to a Spa Suite. I asked about upgrading to a Terrace but they weren't willing to cut me any slack on the rate, so I didn't.

6. kicknit987

kicknit987 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had no clue so much "bumping" was done. I guess it makes more sense on comp rooms, but also on rooms hat people have paid for and confirmed - that would likely irritate me a lot.

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got bumped from paid (MLife tier discount) suites 3 trips in a row, so I stopped booking suites and just took whatever they were offering fully comped, and now I'm phasing them out entirely, at my play level they're just getting too unreliable. I only go twice a year and the room type matters to me. It's a good problem for them to have, aside from the front desk agents.

8. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby reserved and paid first night deposit for a premier lakeside suite for my 50th bday a few years back. No comps, paid room, we checked in on a Saturday afternoon and were bumped to a lakeside suite in the spa tower. They took $75 off per night....gee thanks, that made it the regular price of the suite in the spa tower.

Happy birthday to me!
  9. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great feedback as always, thank you!

It's one thing to get bumped on a comped room (free is free, so I can't blame them for bumping me for a paying person, or higher roller), though I'm still crossing my fingers. But, I was REALLY shocked to see some of you were bumped on paid rooms. THAT I'd be really, really upset over.

I can see it if you're renting the ONE High Roller suite and a major player comes in, but on standard suites you reserved and paid for? That really surprised me, as if someone is actually paying for a suite, (and paying a deposit no less) that is really bad, as blocks you from finding another hotel if they are booked. Plus it's a GIANT double standard...you need 72 hours to cancel a reservation, but they can cancel yours at the desk with no cost? I am sorry to you all that went through that, and Chuck, I absolutely se where you'd veer away from Mlife after getting burned few times. (And really felt badly for Sparky :( )

Back to the original question though, just a big thanks to everyone for the great feedback! I'll go in prepared for the worst (which is still a great room) and fingers and toes crossed for the best! :woohoo:

And thanks JeJas/JosieCat for the spark of hope!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.