1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Double-charged for my room by Aria. Best way to get assistance?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by thess, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thess

thess Tourist

So we checked into Aria last Thursday. We proceeded to our room, and realized they assigned us a room that was already occupied. Womp womp.

Trudged back to front desk, got new room. Was unoccupied.

Checked out on Sunday, noticed that--you guessed it--we were charged room rate, taxes, and resort fees for BOTH rooms. Someone named Kevin at Aria said he'd take care of it.

As of today, the full price of the double-charged folio has posted (not just auth'd) to my credit card.

More experienced folks--please tell me how you'd handle this.

Thanks in advance.

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd just give them a call, have them take care of it while you are on the phone, get the person's name you talk to.

3. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm missing something? If the hotel double charged you, wouldn't you call the hotel?

4. thess

thess Tourist

Give who a call specifically, though? Aria front desk, MGM customer care (not open yet), etc?

Aria was who I called the first time, got the name of Kevin when I called. Doesn't seem to have stuck.

Currently on hold with the front desk. Needless to say blood pressure is rising.

Thanks.

5. thess

thess Tourist

Would I? The folio mentions MGM customer care, but they have limited PST hours and I'm on the east coast.

I am, in fact, on hold with the Aria front desk, but they were supposed to have already fixed this.

6. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take a breath, they will sort it for you :faint:
    They've always been real good with me, though other members cant say the same tho :eek:

7. thess

thess Tourist

Thanks, although the second half of your sentence is concerning.

Still on hold--seems they don't answer the phone this early in the morning.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's odd that changing rooms would result in a double charge but someone messed up. Easy enough for them to fix though.

9. thess

thess Tourist

Yep. When I called the first time they definitely did make it sound easy to fix. ;)

Believe me that's what happened, though. There are two room rates for each date on the folio, two taxes, two resort fees, two resort fee taxes, etc. I got the sense the front-desk/check-in management tech is not in good shape (thus allowing an occupied room to be assigned to a new guest).

Still on hold waiting for front desk.

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all, I would have immediately gone down to the front desk and asked for the Hotel Manager if they assigned me a room that was already occupied. They should have done something to compensate you for the inconvenience, whether it be waiving the resort fee or comping you the first night of your stay - whatever it is, the hotel should have done something because that is completely unacceptable. Now they have double charged you on top of it all??? I would call and ask to speak to the hotel manager. You should explain that the whole experience got your trip off to a very bad start and after arriving back home you are now being double charged on top of it and forced to deal with fighting a charge for a room you were never in. You should ask him what he can do for you on your next stay to make up for these inconveniences and you might find yourself with some sort of comp for a future stay. If the conversation does not go to your satisfaction you can always ask to speak with the head of Guest Relations and see what they can do for you.

I would try to rectify it with the hotel first, but if the hotel is still stalling with giving you the credit, all you have to do is call your credit card company, explain what happened and dispute the charge. You will be credited for the double charge immediately and Aria will be left to fight it out with the credit card company.

* By the way it is only 6:30 am in Vegas right now - you should take a deep breath, hang up the phone and wait until at least 10am Vegas time so that you can get the proper person (whether it be the main daytime Hotel Manager or head of Customer Relations) on the phone to sort this out and potentially compensate you something toward a future stay. I don't blame you for being livid.

11. thess

thess Tourist

Ok, eventually got through to someone. This time they are going to be emailing me an updated folio. (Yes I did get the person's name, again.)

Thanks--what I was looking for was advice on whether it would be better to try for "MGM Customer Care" or the hotel directly, or if there was some third option other more experienced folks might know.

Keep in mind I've already tried to get this fixed once, so confidence is low.

12. CJ's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, no just some members of this site have had issues with the Aria, and would see it burn to the ground than stay there again. I'm a BIG fan of Aria and would stay there any day any week. usually twice a year.
    I would wait until normal working hours for Vegas and try some one on the front desk. Give them all the info you have and I'm sure it will be sorted quickly. fingers X'd :thumbsup:

13. thess

thess Tourist

I appreciate your feedback. I actually did expect them to do something--they didn't. But I'd been on an extremely long flight, the check-in lines were long (don't worry, I skipped past those), and the front desk staff was overwhelmed and seemingly under-tech'd (my original check-in involved the clerk having to do some math on a scratch pad to figure out how much I owed. That was unsettling.) I didn't want to yell at some clerk, I just wanted a room. I didn't know asking for a hotel manager was an option (or demanding something like that didn't occur to me at the time). I'll keep it in mind next time, if there is one.

14. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Aria - it is one of my absolute favorite hotels along with Vdara and Bellagio. I would never want to see it burned to the ground for a simple mistake but even I was the guest in the occupied room and someone barged in because an incompetent front desk clerk gave someone a key to my room, I would call down and make sure that something was done about it. That is unacceptable. What if the guest was out of the room and some stranger had access to their personal belongings and things went missing. Everything is computerized these days so there is absolutely no excuse for this to happen. It would cost the hotel nothing to waive the resort fee as a gesture of good will to make up for a bad experience. No one wants their Vegas vacation to start off on a sour note, much less end on one too!!!

15. thess

thess Tourist

For a little more info:

When we got into the first room, the first thing I noticed was a hot pink copy of the Kama Sutra on the dressing table. Being a newbie, my first thought was "Wow, I guess we really ARE in Vegas!".

Then as we moved further into the room, we saw rows of shoes and many suitcases, and our jet-lagged brains finally caught on.

I suppose we were fortunate that we didn't come into the room while it was occupied and someone was actually trying out their Kama Sutra positions. :)

We backed out quickly.

My boyfriend pointed out, after the fact, that we couldn't be sure they wouldn't give someone else keys that opened *our* room. :\ (To be clear though, I'm not a person who typically worries about that kind of thing.)

Other than this, we both did enjoy the resort, although the slot machines had a weird habit of not giving us money! The nerve! And we walked around a lot and agreed that of the other resorts we toured, we liked the feel of Aria the best, and really liked our room and the automation controls. We also had a fabulous strip view, and got the full newbie experience of the strip lighting up at sunset.

16. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I've never understood the line of thinking that has you getting "free stuff", because someone made a mistake. If anyone deserved a freebie, I would think it is the people who were busted in on!

17. thess

thess Tourist

Update: I have received an updated folio showing the new total and the credit I should receive. (This did not happen after my first attempt to get this fixed on checkout day, so feeling more confident.)

Thanks for the quick responses, it did help just to have someone to vent to.

18. CJ's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah! the occurrence I refer to was one of the popular members on here, think it was PPhold or Packer, basically chucked him out of his room into another coz a High Roller or something wanted the room. Totally unacceptable and unforgivable as is giving someone else a key to your room so I understand his feeling on the matter :thumbsdown:

19. thess

thess Tourist

There was, thankfully for all parties, no one physically IN the room when we entered. Just a copy of their sex-positions book, heh.

Generally I am not a person who demands 'compensation'. But because I get the sense of Vegas being so centered around the idea of 'comps', and because it seemed like a pretty egregious mistake (and the first room was a VERY long walk from the elevator banks, on top of a full day of traveling and airports, and a long line to check in), I figured they'd toss us something. But they didn't, and I didn't make demands.

20. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I have experienced an incident at a hotel (and it does happen occasionally) I have spoken with the Hotel Manager and they have always been very gracious and done something to compensate for the problem. The key is to be very calm and explain the issue and sometimes they will just offer you something (such as waiving the resort fee or comping a night) and the manager has the authority to issue those things to do damage control and make sure that a guest is satisfied. No one wants to have a bad experience on a vacation - you are expecting to have a great time and that is not the level of service you are paying for.

It's not too late. I would still call back after 10am Vegas time and ask for either the hotel Manager or Guest Relations and explain what happened and how you had to call back to fight for the credit on a room that should never have been charged and just flat out ask if there is anything they can do for you on a future stay to make up for having put you through all this on a vacation that you had been looking forward to for a long time. Call - you have absolutely nothing to lose by calling them and asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.