1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why Did The Oscar's Seem Boring This Year ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Was it "The Controversy" ?
    Was it "The Winners" ?
    I thought Chris Rock was okay.......
    What the hell was it ?
    It seemed boring to me ?.....was I expecting too much ?

2. jfn111

jfn111 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's been boring for years. To many categories that nobody cares about and long speeches from people you've never heard of.

3. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree about the speeches - I try to watch it every year, but can't make it through very long.

I watched Last Vegas this year, switched to Oscars during ads a couple of times, but it was always guys I didn't know making a speech. :snore:

I did see Chris Rock at the beginning though; I thought he was great.

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Well.....they've cut a lot of category winners from the televised program -
    "Best Sound Editing For A PG Movie Documentary About Paint Drying" ?.....what ?...and a 10 minute speech ?...not anymore.
    No - they've cut most of that.....it's better.
    * And there is a time limit on acceptance speeches*....even though most are still boring.
    Maybe this year, there was no really silly/fun moment ?
    I will admit -- I could have missed that moment ? -- I did proceed with my life,
    while the show was on......didn't see every minute.

5. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seemed to me that it was more of a infomercial for making sure that the nominees had more ethnicity. A agree that it's become more boring over the last several years and the DVR really comes in handy for getting through the commercials and boring speeches.

6. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of my favorite memories as a child was watching the Oscars with my parents when Johnny Carson hosted -- I haven't watched them in many many years.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just wondering if any one has ever heard of Denzel Washington and Halle Berry? There have been several black Oscar winners over the years.

I don't follow the Oscars anymore because there is no rooting interest. Movies now come out in December or later to make a push for winning the Oscar. Used to be, you would have favorites from all during the previous calendar year. It used to fun to find the hidden gems of performances. I remember seeing An Officer And A Gentleman and saying right off that Louis Gossett, Jr. would win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Wait, isn't he black?

8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That wasn't quite what the issue was. It was that there were no black nominees this year whatsoever.

I can understand them passing over Lou Gossett Jr. for Iron Eagle XIV part 99 billion.

I felt that Chris Rock covered the issue quite well in the opening monologue. He was funny, just irreverant enough without being over the top, covered all the angles including 'why boycott, when the point was you want to be included'.

Then he covered it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

I thought the diversity controversy took over the show way way too much.

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just self-edited a long comeback. Screw it, I don't really care one way or the other. I'll stick with my rooting interest theory. I knew when I was typing the thing that someone would regurgitate Iron Eagle.

La-dee-da.

I stopped watching the Oscars 10 years ago and don't ever plan to watch them again.

I will admit that I do use the Oscars and the list of nominees to determine what to order from Netflix.

I really enjoyed The Help.

10. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started with Oscars, got completely bored and switched to Last Vegas.

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Starring former Oscar winner and nominee Morgan Freeman.

12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

best lines in the whole movie.....

Archie: Boy these vodka Red Bulls are strange. I feel like I'm getting drunk and electrocuted at the same time! The music, it's loud! It's like everything sounds alike, like they're playing the same song over and over and over again. I probably should get up and dance but I'm used to having a partner. It doesn't seem to matter to that fella. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Maybe not. I hope they play something different. Maybe now

i can vouch for VRB's this one time in Vegas......

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still make it an event to watch the Oscars every year. Dan and I try to see as many nominated movies as it practical. We also fill out our ballot before the show and have a little competition to see who picks the most winners. This year I won again. Fun for me, less fun for Dan. ;)

This year we also streamed the shorts on Saturday night and were THRILLED that "Stutterer" won as it was clearly the best one of the bunch. I was pissed off that my girl, Gaga didn't win for Best Song as it clearly was better than that Bond song. But I'll get over it, eventually. :haha:

My husband was annoyed that Chris Rock kept beating the same dead horse over and over and over. I am still not completely sure what was going on with that Stacey Dash moment. I mean, I know the background, but I didn't think it was funny. I'd rather have Billy Crystal and his musical montages back.

What I'd really like to see change is for the movie companies to get off their high horse about having to go to the theater to see their movie and release the nominees on DVD sooner. You can predict availability of movies on Netflix, because if it's nominated, it will be out on DVD a week or two AFTER the Oscars. :grrr: I would load them all up in my queue for February. I don't think I'm alone in that.

I'm a fan of cinema, so I'll keep making room at the end of February to watch Oscar, as long as they are putting it on my TV. If I have to get off my couch and go to a theater to see it, maybe not. :wink2:

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who really watches the movies nominated? They expanded Best Picture to 10 slots and still a movie like Star Wars or Harry Potter has no chance at a nom has no shot at it, even though the point was to let them in. Of the nominees, Room is the only one I want to see but with the way it was released, it makes more sense to wait for it to got VOD. I was only rooting for Stallone and when he lost, my general attitude was "Go Screw".

15. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I agree, I think Chris Rock went "back to the well" too many times for Controversy material.
    Like I said, I thought he was okay. ----
    and I think he was in a tough spot this year......more than previous MC's.
    So, am I right ?......was there no fun/silly/charming, signature moment ?......I didn't see one ?
    Past years - there was THAT moment.
    Somebody running on stage -- Halle Berry kiss - Sally Fields "You really love me !" -
    the actress with the toilet paper on her shoe,....etc

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, Netflix now has a feature that loads all of the nominees into your queue at the click of a button.

17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But they still aren't available before Oscar night. I wanted to see 'Room', but it was in our local art theater for about 10 minutes. I blinked and missed it. It would be so nice to be able to stream or get the DVD for the ones I want to see.

I don't recall any funny or cute moments from this year. I thought Lady Gaga's song was the most emotionally powerful moment and I have some friends that loved Leo's acceptance speech. I also saw some outrage because some people didn't clap for the costume lady from Mad Max. (I do kind of want her leather jacket) But yeah, mostly forgettable.

18. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya beat me to it. The only movie I saw was Mad Max and that was on a plane. Wanted to see Creed and Brooklyn but they were not available to rent before the Oscars.

19. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Why did the Oscar's (sic) seem boring this year?"

I couldn't tell you. I never watch "red carpet" type of shows. I thoroughly enjoyed Last Vegas on CBS.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Oscars are always boring.

You may just have finally noticed. I broke out of the pre-conditioning to watch and care about 4-5 years ago. Terrible event with great marketing, and used as marketing to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.