1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anybody rent from the Dollar on Swenson?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by makikiboy, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering, has anyone rented from the Dollar Rent a Car located at 4775 Swenson st.? Is it easy to get to and from the airport from there? How much does it cost to catch a cab to and from the place? I know that taxi drivers are reluctant to pick up short fares so was wondering how easy it is to get a cab to take me back to the airport? I know the cab drivers at the airport have to take you to your destination but I wasn't sure if drivers would bypass me at the Dollar because they don't want to take me back to the airport since it is such a short haul.

I guess I could catch the Wax but I have to walk out to Tropicana I think (or just walk all the way to the airport from there). Not easy because I'm going for a bowling tournament so I have to walk with my bowling bag, rollaway 26" suitcase and my 19" carry on.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a rental during March Madness and the Dollar on Swenson is offering some good deals, some $180 (or more) less than if I rented from the airport rental facility.

2. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too would like to know the answers. I was about to ask the same thing but figured I can bump this thread if nothing else LOL . I got a VERY good price on a Corolla Wednesday til Monday. $161 all in and that's CANADIAN funds (so about a buck and a half US LOL) actually about $120 USD though Hotwire.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out this thread, a couple of people were giving some advice on that dollar location. One guy said to just catch a cab or uber/lyft to there, rent your car from there and change the return location (when you make your reservation) back to the airport, he said that his rental amount came out to only $10 more. I tired that but the amount came out to more than $20.

Another problem I had was that the location closed at 5 pm so cannot return it to there (have to return it back to the airport) if you want to return your rental after 5 pm.

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?128992-Rental-Car-Discounts/page2

4. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW do I EVER love this board! I just re-booked. Now I pick up at Dollar and drop off at Airport. Grand total is now $165 Canadian ...$5 MORE than previous. YIPPEEEE Standard size car, Wed thru Monday.

5. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't rent from Dollar much any more as their rates have gone up so much. That being said, I've used them for over 20 years. Many years back I read on another forum site about renting at Swenson to save money. I guess I must have compared rates from there to the airport 20-25 trips in a row and not once was the much difference in rates. In fact most times Swenson was more! I'm sure there are times it is less, but I have yet to ever see it. Beyond that there's time involved, cab cost etc. Now if I actually saw a rate where I could get the the same car for $75-100 less for the week, I'd consider it. It's been a while, so maybe I'll check again next trip.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

6. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

As I posted on the other thread, I got a rate about $150 cheaper for 15 days than either at the airport or from the Budget on Trop However, they charge $13/day for an additional driver (spouse). I know that arguments have been made that a spouse is an authorized driver in NV but I don't see anything about not charging for that extra driver. So...back to the drawing board since we will be driving long distances this trip and will need to share the driving.

7. calcuttaman

calcuttaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Woohoo. I'm very surprised at the rate I just got. Rent from Swenson and return to the airport. I already had 3 reservations (Fox, EZ, Advantage) running from $370-$390 for May 5 - 19th.

Are you ready? $207!!!

And the bonus is I fly in late on the 5th and I'm staying at the Tropicana. Will Uber to there and Dollar offers free shuttle service from hotels within 3 miles!

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so will they pick up from the airport for free also? that would be a big plus for that location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.