1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone else getting their gardens ready?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know for those up north you won't be ready for a while. Down here in Texas we have had an extremely mild winter. I started weeding yesterday. Planted some onions.

Though it might be nice to have a thread about gardening. I could use any pointers and suggestions. I plant tomatoes and peppers every year. My Mexican Oregano and Rosemary have wintered very well this year. I am not a master gardener at all. But I have found you cannot kill Rosemary, Oregano, or Chives -- even if you try. I usually have good luck with tomatoes - but this year I am going to try to start some from seed. I have a lot of luck with Basil, but every year I my Cilantro dwindles to nothing very quickly.

For flowers I love Morning Glories -- another plant suited for dummies like me. I haven't had much luck with flowers the past couple of years. My front yard is pretty shady. I usually plant impatients but the last couple of years I haven't wanted to mess with them. So my flower beds have been bare except for weeds. I'm thinking of planting Caladiums. And for the sunny backyard -- Lantana and Plumbago.

2. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love plumbago! Try some coleus for your shade; they don't flower, but come in a variety of pretty colors.

and

You are mean! Just kidding - fun to think about getting in the yard. Only 2-1/2 more months of winter here.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally prefer for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw first:)

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been consistently warm enough to clean out the flower bed since we didn't last fall but otherwise, we have to wait until at least Mother's Day. There is a risk of frost otherwise. We do have tulips and lilies planted so they will come up on their own when it's time.

5. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except for two brutal -10 nights, our winter in New England has been pretty great. Snow totally melted in the last warm spell. My snowdrops are up and blooming...usually they bloom in the snow, I have greenery from the Crocus plants and just saw yesterday next to the house foundation, the tips of some daffodils and tulips

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planting mint for Mojito's this summer.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about mint --- i always get a few plants -- again one of those herbs that is hard to kill even if you tried. Good for mojitos and insect/rodent repellent too. I have to keep mine in the shade here -- it doesn't like heat.

I usually won't put my tomato plants out until late April -- it seems that every time I plant them in late March or early April -- we get three hailstorms -- you can count on it here. Not one or two -- but three.

8. nimue

nimue Tourist

I am painfully jealous. It will be... 3 more months, maybe, before I can get out there and put anything in the ground without fretting about frost kill. General wisdom is that anything you plant before the May long weekend is a crap shoot. Blah.
    I'll be starting plants inside over the next couple weeks though. I should be able to transfer them into the greenhouse at the beginning of May for a couple of weeks.

Tomatoes are fairly easy to start from seed, just make sure you don't overwater them. a little root booster doesn't hurt either. Mine grew like gangbusters last year and that's propped up on a box on my table with grow lights in the dining room fixture!

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go year-round here, though what's doing better than others in the raised beds does vary -- parsley and alstroemeria couldn't be happier, oregano and roses not so much. As for the yard, the sage, mandevilla, polygala dalmasiana (sweet pea shrub) and lavender essentially are 10-12 month bloomers, the lilac are in full seasonal color now. The cistus should pop here in another month and while not a flowering shrub the dodonea are putting on lots of mass. The citrus doesn't look so great but is still fruiting, as is normal. Last weekend we started plotting out annuals and what we want to swap out/change in the perennial department.

Some of you were around when we scorched earth and re-did our yard at the last place. Terri hadn't seen it since we moved so a few weeks ago we drove by while coming back from the desert. The two mesquite nearly drape the entire front; we couldn't believe it. The new owners hardly effed with what we did and that was kinda heart-warming.

Good thread.

10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I have Plumbago in the L4 ;)

already have things started in an AeroGarden I got for Christmas and they will go in my mini greenhouse till it's time to plant

11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe me I will be jealous of all the northerners by May when it is in the high 90s to 100's with humidity that feels like a wool coat that will be here until the later part of September. But right now 70-80 degrees in February -- it is wonderful. If we get some nice bluebonnets this year I will take some pictures. Bluebonnets in Texas -- if you have never been through the Texas hill country with the bluebonnets blooming I highly recommend it.

Another great flower is Vinca -- but it is particular -- not to dry/hot and not too moist. I love the purples and white. It also spreads easily. Lantana is hardy for zones 8-11 which means you could probably grow in the 6 or 7. It is drought tolerant and the deer leave it alone -- which is a plus. I am tempted to plant a lemon and avocado tree -- but I would have to keep them in planters probably.

I tried strawberries before but the critters and birds love them and always got them before I had a chance to pick them. We have a place that grows strawberries nearby and you can go pick them. Also by June and July the peach orchards are producing -- if we get enough cold nights and the hail doesn't ruin them. And if you ever have a chance to buy Pecos, Texas Watermelons -- jump on it --- there is nothing better. Our local grocer use to carry them. I don't know where they go but I have trouble finding them.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Val it is great having farmstand produce and fruit at hand!

Here it is berries, artichokes, leafy greens, asparagus, broc, caulilower, Brussels ... and flower fields. Oh, shoot, WINE, too.

13. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

If you love morning glories, try Mt. Fiji. They don't grow as tall as the "garden" variety but the blooms are large and very colorful. I save seeds each year from that year's bloom and they always breed true to color. Gorgeous. We live in central NJ and our last frost date is May 15th so we won't be starting to plant until then. Our problem is always traveling during the growing season. We have no one to weed and water while we're gone; also, the deer have a field day while we're away. They seem to know!

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep it contained. That stuff is invasive!

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No doubt! I miss stopping for "winter strawberries" at the Hayashi stand by mom's old house in Arroyo Grande.

I'm not quite ready for gardening up here in Seattle. We've had a warm, wet winter, so things are popping up all over. But it's mostly shot weed and maple tree sprouts right now. :evillaugh

Whatever happened over the winter was good for my bulbs. We just had a few crocuses (crocii?) last year, but this year I've got tons of them. Yellow, white and finally the purples came up in force. I've got some of my daffodils and tulips peeking out of the ground too. Can't wait for those as that is when spring begins around here. We usually don't start the veggies until late April, but we had a garlic bulb that got lost in the pantry and sprouted. I put those in a well-drained section of the veggie bed. I'm hoping they survive all this water.

I was out last weekend doing some pruning. My rhodies are going to be great this year. Managed to tame the tangle of blackberries that is my neighbor's side of the driveway, with only a little blood. I have some digging of random new trees to do this weekend if the rain lets up. I also need to clear some of that shot weed before it blooms. I noticed some flowering already in some of the "sunnier" sections of our yard.

16. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another one up here in the great white north of Minnesota... I started doing strawbale gardening a few years ago. Love it! No bending over, no weeds, produce earlier than most. So I'm looking forward to the end of March prepping the bales for planting. I don't do a lot, a few tomato plants, a few cucumbers, sugar snap peas. I tried lettuce mixture last year, twice, but I have so many rabbits they got on the bales and chewed everything down. Have a number of asiatic lilies, day lilies, heuchera, coreopsis, blue eyed oat grass... But... the dang rabbits were getting to most of it. Tried the pellet stuff for rodents and small animals, didn't work. Blood meal has seemed to keep them from digging and eating the new blueberries bushes I put in. Kind of expensive to put that down on all my garden spaces. Any ideas from anyone would be great. I live in town so can't shoot them.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  17. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegetables?

Arent those the green things I see people eating?

None for me thanks.

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! I can relate to the living in town thing. No shooting of things allowed here either. :haha: I haven't found any solution for bunnies either. They're sure cute, until they eat your whole crop of lettuce!

19. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a few coyotes that we would be happy to export down south to control your bunnies!

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check, need more Bacardi and limes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.