1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Giadas Valentine's Day review

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Willy, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willy

Willy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from a strange Vegas trip. Too many weird problems with poor service, bad rooms and crappy dining. Figured I would post my Valentine's Day review of Giadas in case anyone is planning a night there. I do get that everyone's experience can be different. Unfortunately this was ours.

Had a Valentine's dinner reservation. Requested a window seat 3 months previous. Was not honored as they require you to commit to a minimum $100 per person for a window seat. Ok, I missed that one in the original reservation. We were seated in a horrible row of tables that were backed by a cushioned bench on one side. The most uncomfortable dining seat I have ever had. Felt like a little kid trying to sit at the adult table. Keep in mind that I'm a slim 6' so the problem was not with me. The tables were so close together that it was very uncomfortable when I or the guest beside me had to shimmy in sideways to squeeze into our bench. Do you go in front facing, or rear facing? I missed that lesson in etiquette class. I was closer to the guy beside me than I was to my wife across from me. With the noise in the restaurant conversation was almost impossible. We were attended by two waiters. Unfortunately I could not hear them as they couldn't fit between the tables to get closer, and without yelling, communication was not possible. Basically they spoke to my wife and she leaned over to relay to me. Bread plate was good. Nothing special. Prosciutto was good, but when isn't it. Bacon wrapped dates were delicious. I would get those as take out if I could. We each had soup. My wife's squash was good. My mushroom tasted like canned pea soup. She had the tortellini which she loved. I had lobster ravioli which I guess was ok. By that time in the meal I was so uncomfortable I just wanted it to end. Drinks were good. I can't remember what i had, and would have had another if the waiter asked, but he didn't. He just leaned over, grabbed my empty glass and walked away. Over all it was extremely disappointing. No pasta dish is worth what they are charging, but the ambiance is supposed to make up for it. Unfortunately it didn't. Funny, I was at a comped buffet a few days later and they had the same crappy bench seats. But you didn't have to shimmy sideways to sit down.

2. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You should post this review on Yelp. Maybe Giada's will see it and try to make some kind of amends for a truly dreadful dining experience.

3. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fflowers and I eat here every trip, it's our fave. I'm in total agreement about those crammed together little tables for two, which are virtually communal dining. We've been offered those tables before and flatly refused, however we don't eat there on a busy holiday, so there were other options. I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to pay the big bucks for a fine dining experience and basically share a seat with people you don't know. Romantic? Not a chance. They won't get rid of those tables either, they allow the restaurant to seat more people in a small space.

We are crazy over the small plates and, like you, found the entrees to be meh. The bacon wrapped dates are incredible, the prosciutto is indeed excellent, the gorgonzola cheese with wild pear honey is insanely good. The rosemary bread is fabulous. We order only small plates now, many of them, and enjoy sharing the wide variety of excellent dishes. Now that we've dined here 5-6 times, we've nailed down what we love so our experience is great!

We've never been told there's a minimum purchase for a window seat, and we are almost always at a table on the window. I suspect that was a Valentines day requirement. Sorry it was a Valentines day downer for you, those tables would completely ruin a regular meal for me, let alone Valentines day!
    diane

4. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That indeed is awful! I truly hate it when a restaurant crams tables together to get more business. I can't imagine it's much fun for the wait staff, either! Alas, it seems to work! We plan to try Giada's when we go to Vegas next month; happily it will not be on a holiday. I refuse booths anymore and would refuse the arrangement you mentioned as well,as it sounds most unpleasant! It's a shame a special- and expensive- meal was spoiled by lack of comfort!

5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife likes the bench seat, its a pretty common layout these days with the bench on one side and chairs on the other. Sounds like Giada attempted to max out their seating at the expense of customers' comfort. That sucks.

6. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a certain masochism among foodies that will endure poor service and price gouging to eat at the trendiest places....I am sure they are held in a modest amount of contempt by those restaurateurs who laugh at them behind the scenes.

7. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This could well be the reflection of 6/5 BJ players on the restaurant scene. I just think Giada's prices (along with many strip restaurants) are ridiculous for what they offer.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry that my a$$ knocked over your glass of wine! Man, I hate that kind of seating. Wolfgang Puck's at the Borgata has a few tables like that, but they are spaced enough to allow for folks to walk through. We ended up talking to the "neighbors" next to us, but it was pretty busy and loud enough that we couldn't overhear the conversations from other tables.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.