1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another ex football star screwed his life up.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clinton Portis ex Redskin owes Borgata $170 K . Filed for bankruptcy owing nearly 5 million. These guys never learn.

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Geez,
    I just heard a Sports talk show --
    Jack Youngblood said - he had dementia problems.
    Haley ( Def. End for Dallas + SF ) was bi-polar + also had dementia.
    "I wouldn't trade a day......I paid college for a bunch of my family with my NFL money."
    Joe Namath says he's got dementia.
    Ken Stabler = CTE
    Some talk hosts are amazed "how a QB had dementia ?"
    You idiots !......They weren't ALWAYS playing QB - and wearing a "Don't Hit Me " red shirt on, in practice !
    I guess, I knew something when I tried out 2nd string, TE in HS.
    Hell, all I did was block defensive tackles who outweighed me ---
    That lasted a week, with headaches, every day after practice !
    I switched to safety = and started !!

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fear we are going to see an epidemic of CTE related early deaths, suicides and mayhem.

I am now starting to believe that a lot of the violence players show towards women is a result of CTE. Could also explain a lot of the bizarre drunk driving, drug use and other half-baked antisocial behavior players exhibit.

Through Pop Warner, high school, college and the pros, players have absorbed hundreds, if not thousands of blows to the head. Strummer points out that even in high school practices, he was showing signs of concussion.

Basically, players eventually become punch drunk. Not all. Plenty of evidence in listening to the ex-players who are commentators, but who knows what will happen to them in later life.

A recent report showed that 50% of all parents would not allow their kids to play full contact football.

This may sound crazy, but I see the game gradually evolving into a form of flag football and the rise of soccer becoming a major league sport.

It's one of those unanswerable questions that were asked while passing the bone around: "Would you trade being rich and famous for being dead by age 35?"

4. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Either I am a psychic, going crazy or I have read this before.

Either way, I still agree.

5. jughead1963

jughead1963 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soccer has a problem too. Think about the header? Now imagine practicing that over and over.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least he has his college degree to fall back on.

I think much of this behavior is because these guys rarely hear the word "no" because they surround themselves with yes men. Mike Tyson, Tyrell Owens, Len Dykstra, Allen Iverson have all lost fortunes. Look at all of the lottery winners who end up on the skids.

7. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:

He left school after 3 years to go to the NFL, not sure he has went back to the U(miami) to finish. Probably not, but could!

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Allen Iverson is quite a story.
    He "carried" an entourage of 20 to 30 guys
    and gave 'em each a 100k.
    I guess, they were from the Hood....back in the day.
    Iverson is still playing basketball in Korea, I believe........
    What else is he gonna do ?...I don't know ?

9. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still recall when I played little league/Pop Warner football, every day at the beginning of practice we did a drill to 'shake the cobwebs out", and get you used to "getting hit". We would line up in two parallel lines, facing each other, about 5 yards apart. The coach would walk down between, saying 'Go', to each pair. The object being when he said 'go' to run straight ahead, duck your head and smack helmets. I can still remember the sound of the helmets popping as you hit. Of course the harder / louder your hit, the louder the coach hooted and hollered. Ahhhh, the good ole days :confused2:

10. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dykstra didn't just 'lose' money like the other guys, , he stole big time from different investors, pensions ,ira accounts and other scams, just like Denny Mclain did, why they both are in prison......

11. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But Dykstra had some killer car washes...[emoji106]

12. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not even close to the impact of a football helmet. Force= Mass X Acceleration. The soccer ball certainly has the acceleration but very low mass, unlike a linebacker, safety or pulling guard.

Nick:beer:

13. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or withholding water breaks as punishment for bad drills. Mistakes were made, no doubt.

14. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

Don't cry for Allen iverson.

His deal with reebok paid him $64 million. Reebok put $32 million of that in a trust that he can't touch until he's 55. He is 40 years old now. The other $32 was put in another trust that began paying him out when he turned 30. That ends the year he gets his $30 million check.

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They aren't sure on soccer. Kids are trained on headers by repeatedly hitting the ball on the same spot on the head and they can see the repeatedly impact on scans. They are more concerned about football, hockey, and MMA fighting. If MLB was smart, they would start promoting and investing in the youth game. There are so many two and three sport athletes who would excel at baseball but who never had a reason to consider it seriously for a career compared to football. Baseball should be making a play for them.

16. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge soccer fan and I've been following concussion cases in the sport. Heading the ball isn't typically a problem when it comes to those kinds of issues, but head-to-head collisions in the air while contesting a ball have been a problem. I know at least one major star in Major League Soccer in the USA has had to retire due to concussion problems from that. You can never completely eliminate the issue, but gridiron football really had a serious problem with it and the players are suffering badly for it.

Another sport with the problem is ice hockey because of fighting. Enforcers repeatedly take punches to the head for our amusement and suffer terrible health problems because of it.

17. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that amazes me that Iverson( or somebody who had some power over him) agreed to that highly intelligent deal.

18. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not saying that no damage is caused from heading a soccer ball. What I'm saying is that the brain trauma isn't remotely close. In football, whether on the line and meeting helmet to helmet nearly every play or at a skill position with fewer, more violent incidents, the viciousness of the repeated hits are on a different level.

The helmet doesn't stop the collision which occurs in the skull, which is the brain coming to sudden stops, causing swelling and ultimately damage. Throw on a helmet sometime and slap an open palm against the helmet. Magnify that by the level of play. Even D3 linebackers will cause stars and blackouts. Jumping to D1 and NFL and the damage caused by routine hits is catastrophic.

19. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CTE is not just concussions. The brain has no shock absorbers so repeated impacts that don't cause concussions can still lead to it. That is the complete problem with the way the NFL and the media has been handling the conversation. They are trying to make you think if they can prevent concussions, they are making a difference and it's not true. I haven't seen anything that would put the risk of getting as high in soccer; just that there is data that needs more investigation. If I was picking a sport for my kid that would keep them safe, it's not at the top of my list.

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not into soccer but dont these guys butt heads w/o helmets when they are jumping around after the ball?? Plenty of athelets have made the transition into the business world and have done well. I think a lot of it stems from how and where they were raised and the spouses and friends they choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.