1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Betting on MMA

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by RayDay, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayDay

RayDay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a pretty big MMA fan and have done moderately well betting on fights in the last 18 months. I'm curious to see if any other VMBers bet on MMA or other combat sports (boxing, etc.). If so what type of strategies do you use?

I personally tend to go big on fights that I think offer good value. This could be 3 or fights on a single card or 0 fights. Not as fun as football since there's not as much action but since MMA is such a young sport with less knowledge and more variables, there are some great value plays on nearly every fight card. Examples of recent underdogs that were great plays were Ben Rothwell (vs Josh Barnett) and Ed Herman (vs Tim Boetsch).

A few things I consider are: style, pace and injuries. A big mistake many often make is try to predict a fight based on common opponent. MMA math rarely is predictable in that way.

Thought I'd throw that out there for discussion... Next trip 25 days away!

2. gmille58

gmille58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I make a few bets when we go to the fights. My strategy is simple. I give the odds sheet to my son (15 now, complete MMA rabid fan) when we get to the hotel, tell him the bankroll that we are risking (usually around $200), and tell him to find the value bets. Usually a couple of bigger bets on his best picks, a couple of smaller bets on other fights, maybe a prop or a small parlay. He gets the profits on his picks, and I split with him on any other bets that I make (parlays, round props, etc). When waiting for our tickets he has explained to more than one adult how the moneyline works.

We have only gone to two events, and have not lost yet. First time we were small winner, second time about 50% increase in the amount wagered. I am not going to risk what I consider big money on fights, but it makes them more exciting to watch.

3. thestugot

thestugot Low-Roller

I find the earlier the fight on the card, the less you can rely on the odds. Anything can happen in those early fights from what I've seen and won\lost on. I generally bet on the main event. I went big on McGregor vs. Mendez - took McGregor. I would have done the same when he fought Aldo. The Aldo fight was great value as McGregor was the dog. I remember before I knew anything about McGrego - I was in Vegas. He was fighting Silva. Silva was a 10-1 underdog. I was like "hey, anything can happen" and dropped $300 to win $3,000. McGregor bloodied him in the second round. Value all depends on who you think will win in the end. Hindi sight is 20-20.

4. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been betting on the sport since you could, well before if you count my time training at Chute Boxe in Brazil in the 80s, the biggest thing is this when it comes to MMA, anything can happen, look at both fights with Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman for proof or Rothwell vs Barnett more recently. The odds are usually not the best so being a trainer and having inside knowledge I look for a dog I have a good felling about, know something of an injury not disclosed or weight issues, always watch the weigh ins if possible they will tell you a lot about how a camp went, Mendes vs McGregor was a good example, I knew Chad had not been training due to a TV show he had been filming for 6 weeks and he only had a legit 6 days to cut weight, but I knew he could take Mc in the grappling dept so I made a prop bet on him getting three TDs in the first round and won a nice wager on that. Prop bets are where you can make your best money but you have to really know the sport well and I mean well.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.