1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping the Uber driver

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BlueBellThunder, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, basically, if you choose not to tip, you'll get a bad rating. It's a prepaid service.

Here's what it says on the Uber website:

"DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?

You don’t need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file — there’s no need to tip."

2. robxj

robxj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well there is no need to tip anyone according to your logic. When you get your pizza delivered and pay over the phone with your credit card do you stiff the delivery guy? This, "there's no need to tip" mentality is just some peoples excuse for not tipping. True Uber is paid thru the credit card that you have on the app but most people using Uber have money in their purse or wallet and their reason for not tipping isn't because they don't have cash on them. Again, ZERO tip is included in the Uber fare like they claim. There is no need to tip your waiter, barber, valet, pizza guy, taxi driver, limo driver, bell hope so why tip anyone at all? There is no need to tip anyone but most people do when it's appropriate and good service is provided. Justify your cheapness however you want.

3. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of those services have an area to tip (waiter, pizza delivery, etc). There's no area to tip the Uber driver for a ride to drop onto the CC. If they wanted you to tip the driver, they'd make that available. The whole idea of Uber is a cashless transaction for a ride. Get in and get out.

I also rarely ever use UberX and therefore almost always have a professional driver.

My Saturday evening fare from DC to home this past weekend was $53 for less than a 6 mile ride at 1.5x surge pricing. I didn't tip the driver and don't feel badly for not doing so.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've tipped cash after using an Uber ride. Drivers seemed to be very appreciative of it. If I had an unpleasant ride I certainly wouldn't tip.

5. robxj

robxj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course. Like any service, if it's a bad experience don't tip. I have taken a few dozen Uber rides as a passenger and It's usually a very pleasant experience. Picked up within minutes in a nice car by a friendly driver. Pull out my wallet and toke the driver a few bucks and they have always been extremely appreciative of any gratituty. I spoke about tipping with a driver last week and he said it is slowly catching on amongst the uber crowd that it is ok to tip and displays cheapness if you don't. We both agreed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  6. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    but if your told the tip already is included and then you gave a stranger extra money doesnt that make that person stupid

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  7. robxj

robxj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that is the whole point Simundo, there is no tip included. Nowhere does Uber state or claim that a tip is included in the fare. There is no tip included in the fare that an Uber passenger pays.

8. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to tip, then tip. If you don't want to tip, then don't. Simple.

9. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. And, there's no place to include a tip with the fare. An area for a tip is always included when an optional tip is part of the service.

One could easily make the conclusion that you're not supposed to tip else they would make an option for it.

And, if you tip an Uber driver for good service, why not tip everyone else you interact with doing business that gives you good service?

For instance, why not tip TSA at the airport? They work hard, for very little money, and tips are not included in the service they provide.

10. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ummm no, I don't agree with that, never got that impression... drivers I've tipped were genuinely surprised. I think I was involved w/ tipping because the few times I've used Uber it was 5-6 passengers each time making the vehicle full w/ ppl, and we were appreciative that we were all hauled together in a single, cramped ride

I think we have an entirely separate Vegas thread dedicated to this exact point

11. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fine but only my cavity search is performed by a cute girl with gentle hands.

12. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What? You mean no one else besides me tips the TSA screeners? What a bunch of cheapskates!

13. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good ole English cucumber never hurt anyone! In fact, it's just the opposite!

14. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've said this earlier, if Uber is cheaper and better then a taxi why not tip? You tip the taxi driver for what is usually shitty service. The TSA comment is a real stretch. If you want to be cheap and not tip fine. But that's a cop out by stressing that Uber says tipping is not necessary. I'm sure some restaurants would tell you the same thing if you asked.

15. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thing I work for a limo company and the topics included since our hourly salary is under minimum wage. Some people still tip me a little extra even though they don't have to.

16. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just the tip PT

17. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I personally think everyone should tip engineers and if not I believe them to be cheapskates.

But I don't see anyone reaching in their pocket to give me a five-spot.

18. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude I think you're missing the point. Most industries where tipping is common are not very high paying jobs to begin with. No before you say they should just get go to school for a better job, the fact is you need these jobs filled. I'm sure as an engineer you do quite well. For low earning jobs like Uber the tips make a huge difference.

19. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread has strayed off topic and keeps learning toward getting nasty. Time to shut this thread down.

If you would like to continue the tipping conversation, you may message amongst yourselves :)

20. robxj

robxj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping is starting to catch on with the Uber crowd. My friend does some part time Uber driving so I hear all the stories. Uber misleads the passengers to make them think the tip is built into the fare. There is NO tip built in for the driver. Of a $14 airport run the driver only sees about $5 of that. He says about 50% of Uber passengers are now tipping a few dollars per ride. You tip a taxi driver, limo driver, shuttle driver and valet so there is really no excuse to stiff the Uber driver. They bust butt and provide great service. I few will say it's supposed to be cashless which is true for ordering the car and paying but there is nothing to prevent any passenger from pulling out a few bucks from their wallet or purse and tipping the driver if you are happy with the service you get. Your driver will GREATLY appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.