1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping the Uber driver

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BlueBellThunder, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those that use Lyft or especially Uber don't forget to tip the drivers. My brother works for both part time and there's not tip option on the Uber app only lift. Since the rides are dirt cheap the drivers rely on tips to make it worth it for them to even come out.

2. KatoKrazy

KatoKrazy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't Ubers big thing that you don't have to ( aren'tssupposed to) tip?

3. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wasn't you also saying this in a previous uber/lfyt thread

4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping is AGAINST company policy.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely do not tip. The tip is included in the price of the fare.

Those who tip are setting a very bad precedent.

7. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping is not required but isn't going to be refused. I don't feel obligated to tip but if I have someone that is friendly and provides excellent service, I'll tip a few bucks extra. But the whole point of Uber/Lyft is cashless so don't feel like you have to.

8. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, here's my point with tipping sets a bad precedent.

The more people tip, the more tips are expected.

The more tips are expected, the more problems arise from not tipping.

You might say, "If your driver gets angry about it, just rate him poorly."

The problem is, the driver is also probably rating the passenger poorly for not tipping. And, once one side gives a bad rating, the rating system is turned off for the other side to respond. So, if the driver rates the passenger poorly first, the passenger can't respond. And, the app is already up and ready for the driver's input so he's going to do the rating first.

With a bad passenger rating, you aren't going to be getting rides and you might be forced out of the system.

So, tipping begets tipping and those who are tipping are setting a bad precedent for the rest of the passengers that understand tipping is already included.

Unless you plan to tip everyone, tip no one for the above reasons.

9. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No they lie to the passenger and tell them it's included or it's not nessasary. In the New York metro area most passengers don't tip and don't make much money. Lyft does offer a tip option on the app.

10. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No it's not, you can give a cash tip if you like the service. What I can't understand is some folks take taxis get shitty service and still tip. Then they take Uber get great service don't tip.

11. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No the tip is not included. Uber lies to their passengers and also their driver. I know more about Uber than Mopar on this forum since I'm a limo driver in the New York metro area. Also Uber doesn't give a shit about either driver or passengers. Google search lawsuits against Uber. And if collectively most people don't tip their driver Uber won't last long in Vegas with the low rates the drivers bring in. Someone posted $11 from the airport to Paris. That's a least half of a taxi. What I'm saying is tip the drivers and stop being cheap. For those that do you're doing a great service.

12. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Again Uber is lying to its customers. Google it.

13. HolgerKCH

HolgerKCH Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goodbye taxis... hello Lyft and Uber

I mainly wonder as Uber drivers share their stories how much money they make, without tips. Google it, you find lots of these. Either these people are telling fairy tales to convince people to work as a Uber driver (why?) or tips are really not necessary at all

14. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For some Uber driver working at minimum wage jobs Uber might be better for them but probably not a living wage.

15. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your boss gave you a cash tip (bonus) for every deliverable you turned into him, you're going to start to expect a tip (bonus) for every work item. In fact, you'll start to believe that it's normal to receive one.

However, in the future, the moment he doesn't give you a tip, you're going to be upset and resentful, as if he's taken away something that's rightfully your's.

So, yes, Uber drivers will take and want tips. Who wouldn't want extra money for doing a job they are already expected to do?

16. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have worked for uber. Company policy is to not accept the tip. but lets be honest who is going to say no when someone hands you cash?

17. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tipping a driver is not required but its a nice thing to do, I know several people who drive for lyft and uber as their only source of income and tips make 30% of their take home pay after paying for gas, car payment, etc.

a significant percentage of drivers do it because its their only source of income, they drive full time (40-50 hours per week) and barely break $10/hr. You arent required to tip, but your also not required to tip a taxi, or a waitress or anyone else. gratuity is never legally required. (you can dispute auto-grat if you want to be a douch)

most drivers give passengers 5 stars unless you are rude or are not at your pickup location or do something that negetivly effects them.

18. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you might have the wrong end of the stick as their app has an area in settings to choose the amount you want to tip. When I signed up a few years ago it defaulted to 20%. To change it you need to sign in to the desktop website (not the app) and click payment.

19. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. robxj

robxj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is ZERO tip included in the Uber fare. Uber charges a $1.70 "pick up" or "safe rider fee" they call it. 100% of that pick up fee goes to Uber. The UberX rate is $1.10 per mile in Vegas and the driver gets 75% of that. A typical Vegas Uber trip is up and down the strip. From Luxor to Bellagio will net the Uber driver a few bucks with ZERO tip included. Uber drivers are allowed to accept tips and there is nothing that says an Uber driver is prohibited from accepting tips and there is nothing that says that an Uber passenger is prohibited from tipping their driver. Uber FLAT OUT LIES by claiming that there is some tip included in the fare paid by the passenger. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Tipping is slowly catching on amongst the Uber users and all drivers will gladly accept a tip and will GREATLY appreciate it. You tip the taxi driver, limo driver, valet, bell boy, ect,ect....don't be a cheap a$$ by stiffing your Uber driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.