1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA pricing

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jhair, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Planning our Vegas trip for May. Always fly SW. Here's what I don't understand.

Indy-LAS May 2, 1 person cost is 200. However there will be 5 of us. The cost jumps to 220 each.

Anyone else ever notice this? I suppose I could do separate bookings but I was hoping to keep the boarding numbers close together. I always pay for earlybird.

I just thought it was strange.

2. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's common and has been like that for years on SW. It's a fare bucket price jump. Someone else may know trick around it but I've always just made two transactions to get the maximum number of lower priced tickets before the fare hike.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, there are less than 5 seats available at $200. If you split the transaction, as joaks suggests, you could possibly save some bucks.

4. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks joaks, I guess I haven't noticed this before but I did some more checking and found that if I purchased the anytime or Bus. select fares that the price stays the same.

It's not so much the money, just the principle! Sur do miss NWA.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happens, or I should say, it can happen on all airlines. Pretty simple reason.

In our case for example, there were 4 or less seats left at $200. There were NOT 5 seats available at the $200 rate. So, if on one reservation, they all go to the next higher rate. Whenever I search for either a paid or award flight, I always search for one person to start. Then go to the 2+.

6. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a thought. Try using a different web browser or delete your cookies when booking flights if you have been checking online many times. Seems to work for me to get some lower fares. Has anyone else tried this?

7. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep allegiant pulls that bullshit also so always search for 1 person at a time.
    Sometimes end up waiting a few hours or days to get same matching price. Can be risky though so sorta like Russian roulette.

8. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizzaman, I did try that using a private browser that doesn't take cookies. Same result.

I don't think it's a lack of seats so much as it it greed.:grrr:

9. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA allotted x number of seats at $200, let's say 10. They now have 4 seats remaining at $200 tier, Thus the 5th seat goes to $220. If 2 people happen to buy the $200 fare before you, then only 2 seats will remain at $200. Supply and demand.

Same thing happened on my April trip, 2 of us got the seat for $280 out of ATL, and 2 paid $23 more for same flights. We just split the difference among ourselves.

I would book individually. If someone pays more, and the price drops, that person can rebook the flight and get credit for a future flight on SWA.

Same as with comped rooms in Vegas, if you wait too long to book, the rooms might be booked and comps are gone.

Good luck with your booking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  10. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks coach, guess I will just bite the bullet and book,was waiting to see if there were any price drops. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though it happens, price drops are rare. And, with SW, you can use that credit on a future flight.

12. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it's Monday morning, checked pricing for our trip and SW lowered their fares. Now it's down to 200 ea. Saved a hundred bucks which about covered the EB fees.

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing somebody that had one of those $200 seats cancelled or moved to another flight opening up the $200 seat for you.

Or, the complex algorithm they use decided they needed to offer more of the cheaper seats to fill up the plane.

The rates and mix change often.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually book SWA as soon as the fares are released for the dates I'm going (if I know for sure that far in advance). And I'd say it's about 50/50 that the price will decline before the flight and I can rebook to get the travel credit.

But the responses here are spot on, always search for one seat at a time.

15. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you!!! Glad it worked out. Now keep checking---you might get another price drop!

Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  16. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Money saved! Might even drop lower.:banana::banana::banana:

17. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone, now I have a question about using rapid rewards points.

Stupid me never signed up my wife and daughter for this but I have over 7000 points in rapid rewards, I saw nothing in the booking process on how to use them. They had options for gift cards but not points.

I was afraid to spend too much time messing around in fear they would change the price on me during the booking. And what would the 7000 points translate to in savings?

18. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to be signed in on your rapid rewards card on the web site when booking. 7000 pts is not going to save you a bunch of money on your trip.I don't really know if you can use points if you don't have enough for a entire flight. Maybe someone could answer that question. For my april trip it is about 28000 pts for a $194 fare. hope this helps.

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try again. EVERY booking page has a place to click POINTS or CASH. Towards the right middle right above the rates. It might say money vs cash.

20. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are they wanna get away miles? Our trip(non stop) from Tampa is 19,900 miles RT per person (but have free companion pass). Reg price around $350.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.