1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Westgate Timeshare Nightmare

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by parallax, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was talking to a colleague who works for one of the big Silicon Valley companies. They have a big presence at CES. For CES, they booked a good number of rooms at the Westgate and for some conference facilities. Not surprisingly, the spent a lot of cash at the hotel. While the Westgate is not an ideal property, it is close to the convention center.

The problem was with the timeshare people. I guess the timeshare people at the Westgate were so aggressive and over-the-top (grabbing arms, invading personal space, following people for long distances) that it really started to rub people the wrong way. It did not create a good business environment. The moment you got off the elevator, one had to run a gauntlet. I guess leadership told the events team to take care of the problem but they had limited success. I guess the head of sales told Westgate that they would never stay their again and that he would share what happened with his counterparts at other companies. Having negotiated contracts for these big events, I'm sure that they spend well over $15,000,000 for various conferences and conventions in Vegas over the course if the year.

I have not been to Westgate. I went their once back in the Hilton days when they had the Star Trek experience. Although I'm not a fan of Trip Advisor, I did a quick look and this is the number one complaint.

2. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been there twice in the last few months to eat and wasn't bothered at all, but I'm also not in the business/conventioner demographic either. I'm sure higher ups told them to more aggressive, or maybe raised the quota that they needed to sell for that time period. Maybe they raised their commissions for that time so the hard sell was even more?? My complaint about west gate is the buffet, expensive and crappy at the same time!!!

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a shame. They have a long road back to relevance and a poor rep for time share hassles won't help, especially considering you are staying a at a hotel. Are they using the hotel as a timeshare property or are they trying to sell their other locations?

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - and it sounds as if they are even worse then when my friend and I were hounded.

A couple years ago for the SB we went over to make our bets in the book and rode the monorail. We made a wrong turn and ended up in the hallway where they were stationed and they came at us hard. I usually just ignore them or politely say no thanks but they kept pushing. I finally had to tell the lady to back off in a rather rude way.

5. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize that some resorts have timeshares salespeople. It is a revenue stream. It seems counterproductive to be so aggressive that it impacts other parts of their business. I find them a nuisance and do not stay at resorts that have them roaming around. I guess they are so isolated that they are uber aggressive when people are around. They will have to sell a lot of timeshares to make up the future revenue they lost from this company.

6. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard a timeshare guy at 4Q complain to someone he roped in to a sales meeting that he gets mad when people ignore him and walk by like he doesn't exist.... I laughed to myself at that one...

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The time share reps turn off instantly if you say, "I live here."

Bill

8. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They usually try to talk to you if you're with someone. So when you see them uncouple with anyone you're with. Most of the time you have to have both partners do a presentation together.

9. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I always go to Vegas solo, I have never been approached by timeshare people. See them wandering around but have never been stopped.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  10. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fake call on your phone is a trick that I try to use

11. yankees4ever31

yankees4ever31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from Brooklyn, I have a few choice phrases that work well when dispatching timeshare leaches.:cuss:

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just give them a quick "These are not the droids you are looking for" wave and keep walking.

13. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always g solo, too. I was approached once and told the guy I get all my food and rooms comped. He said, "well, I guess I can't do anything for you" and left me alone.

14. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a guy grab me on the arm last year outside of Planet Hollywood. I nearly punched him, but I did cuss him out as he was trying to give me his spiel.

15. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oo

:nworthy:

Love it!

or tell them your Bankrupt!

16. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about, "Great, I need a place to live. I just got evicted."

Thread Status: